Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

without using google

Go down 
+5
semocoachworks
79_bronco
johnboggs21
merlin5577
batty1214
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

without using google Empty
PostSubject: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 7:15 pm

without using any online searching, does anyone know what the "plys" in a tire is in reference to???
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 7:17 pm

the rubber
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 7:23 pm

the layers of rubber and cords in the tire i think.

Last edited by johnboggs21 on November 26th 2009, 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 7:49 pm

what they said
Back to top Go down
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 8:36 pm

The plys are the layers of either radial steel wire or nylon under the tread.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:07 pm

semocoach, you have the correct answer...... the plies are the wire/polyester belts that make up the carcuss of the tire, and doesnt include the wires contained in the belt package.....
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:10 pm

now a little bit of a trick question.....what does the number of plys listed on a tires sidewall actually mean?
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:11 pm

no clue, i just know the tires i run are bias ply lmao
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:16 pm

batty1214 wrote:
now a little bit of a trick question.....what does the number of plys listed on a tires sidewall actually mean?

How many second until the tires come apart? Laughing

J/K, I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:35 pm

^ ^ lmao
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:37 pm

How thick the sidewalls are. The larger the the sidewall, the more plys are needed in order for it to be durable.
Back to top Go down
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:53 pm

Man, i'm using parts of my brain that is full of cobwebs tonight! I think it's how many layers are around the bead???
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 9:57 pm

How many layers of steel and rubber are in the treads.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 10:55 pm

I believe the number of plys refers to the number of ply layers in the sidewall and under the tread cap. With the tread cap having a different number of plys then the sidewall...
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 11:22 pm

yes, the plys are in the tire under the tread(also known as the belt package)........ But when a tire says it has 4 ply , Its actually saying that you have the strength of 4 plys(ropes) of Cotton cord,

They based the name ply off of the use of cotton cords in the early tires....... the name has been used, and cotton has been phased out in favor of polyester, steel, and recently, Kevlar, and they are toying with carbon fiber...... So, even though it says it has 6 plys, it may or may have that many layers of reinforcment material in the sidewall.....

Last edited by batty1214 on November 26th 2009, 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 11:23 pm

Heres anothern....... What is the main differences between Radial constructed tires, and Bias construction tires........ and for extra points(not that points get you anything) what are the benefits of radial and bias?
Back to top Go down
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 11:28 pm

OK, i think the nylon is laid in the rubber different than radial. Nylon is laid straight side by side and steel belted is sort of cross hatched under the tread?
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 26th 2009, 11:42 pm

i knew this 1!!! now i forget..
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 27th 2009, 12:21 am

you are really close semocoach works... you have the difference of how the belt package is laid in correct,and you are close on the way they lay in...... in a radial tire, the belt package is laid at high angles acrossed the carcus..... the bias tires use a nylon or polyester or both, and lay them almost straight across the carcus, and extend farther down the sidewall... not by much though....
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 27th 2009, 12:23 am

now, onto the other part of that question. what are the benefits of radial tires, and what are bias ply tires benefits?
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 27th 2009, 12:51 am

radials last muuuch longer.. bias plies form flat spots after sitting for a while
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 27th 2009, 12:40 pm

Close! But let me elaborate on this alittle... lol

Radial tires due to the way the belts are laced inside the tire and the material used make the sidewall softer and more plyable so when your aired up the sidewall is solid but lose just 10psi and the sidewall begins to bulge out bias tires are the opposite they because the belts are laid from one side to the other and form a criss cross under the tread they have an increased in strength and the sidewall will not bulge with a small loss of pressure. Now also a radial tire sidewall will roll out when a vehical is in a corner so as to keep the tread face on the pavement where as the bais ply tire doesn't roll actually causing the tread to loss contact with the pavement. Also bais ply due to construction heat up faster causing the tread to become softer thereby reducing the life of the tire faster where as radials last longer because they run cooler.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 27th 2009, 1:04 pm

I saw a test drive video from Car And Driver ( I think) from '67 testing out a GTO, I think. He took a sharp left turn and I swear he was riding on the rim. How that tire didn't blow out I'll never know.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 27th 2009, 1:22 pm

Well if it was from 67 chances are it had bias ply and the sidewalls are so stiff that unlike radials bias ply's have to be air waaayyy down before they'll roll a bead unlike radials that'll pop a bead with 20psi in them. I've seen bias ply's down as far as 5 psi without beadlocks and they never popped a bead! Bias ply's are amazing. With the exception of the 16.5" rim the rims themselve have a shitty butt beadseat and they'll pop beads at 10psi which is still better then radials but that's why so many 16.5 get weldon beadlock kits.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google EmptyNovember 27th 2009, 1:32 pm

nice fasel.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: without using google   without using google Empty

Back to top Go down

without using google
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Truck Source :: Mechanics Corner :: General Tech-
Jump to: