Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Help with engine number decode.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

Help with engine number decode. Empty
PostSubject: Help with engine number decode.   Help with engine number decode. EmptyNovember 8th 2009, 11:11 pm

Well, got an engine sitting here and so far, i think it's a 400 maybe a 71??? My book only lists the casting numbers so i'm not sure? Here are the numbers.

3951511 left rear flange by bellhousing

TO828CLK

11c103963 these 2 are on the pad stamped at right front behind alternator
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Help with engine number decode.   Help with engine number decode. EmptyNovember 24th 2009, 9:03 pm

Bump!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Help with engine number decode.   Help with engine number decode. EmptyNovember 24th 2009, 9:09 pm

pulled off a chevelle website..
There are only 3 400 block castings; 511, 509, 817. The 511 is the early one (70-72), the 509 & 817 are the later ones.

The later ones are possibly "better", which is NOT the same as saying that the 511 is "not good". Maybe, just not quite as good, for SOME things. But for a street or moderate racing application, it's not a significant difference, and I wouldn't let that bother me if I was you. For a budget hot street motor it'll be perfectly fine.

It'll almost certainly have factory 4-bolt main caps installed on it.
Back to top Go down
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

PostSubject: Re: Help with engine number decode.   Help with engine number decode. EmptyNovember 24th 2009, 10:12 pm

Cool, thanks for the info 007. It is a 4 bolt and I bought an aftermarket steel crank for it. I just wanted to make sure because the 400 is externally balanced. 350 (which i thought it was), is internal so I wanted to get the right balancer flyweel etc. Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Help with engine number decode.   Help with engine number decode. EmptyNovember 24th 2009, 10:17 pm

not a problem man.. if i would have seen the post sooner i would have gotten to it sooner
Back to top Go down
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

PostSubject: Re: Help with engine number decode.   Help with engine number decode. EmptyNovember 24th 2009, 11:05 pm

No problem. This is a long term project so I am in no hurry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with engine number decode.   Help with engine number decode. Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with engine number decode.
Page 1 of 1