Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Understanding the V.I.N. number

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

Understanding the V.I.N. number Empty
PostSubject: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number EmptyAugust 28th 2009, 3:10 am

I found some general diagrams to help undertsand that 17-digit code used to individualize your vehicle!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Understanding the V.I.N. number Vin_di11

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Understanding the V.I.N. number 3-78-910
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number EmptyAugust 28th 2009, 11:04 am

To elaborate on Juniors post, except for the first few characters, each manufactures sets its own guidelines and sequence to their vins. The two above are only in reference to GM and Nissan.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number EmptyAugust 28th 2009, 1:17 pm

The format is the same for all of them. The singled out aptions for sedan and truck may have different representations, but the values are the same for every vehicle in America and Europe. It is federally regulated...
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number EmptyAugust 28th 2009, 1:35 pm

Not true. On a GM vehicle the eigth digit is the engine code, on a Nissan, its the body style. Federal regulations only require the vehicle have a VIN and what it entails, not the order or sequence.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number EmptyAugust 28th 2009, 2:00 pm

Again, not true, EVERY vehcile in this country, regardless of brand uses the 1st digit for manufacterer, the last six for production line, the tenth for model year and so on. The order IS regulated... its the options, like specs for interior options, exterior choices or engines that may vary, but the format is the same. Is is standerdized for the purposed of titleing, insuring and duplicating... since NO 17 digit code is alike, they cannot just randomly chose digit values, or there would be duplicates. I had a whole class on this to get my certificate to endorse insurance documaents as a car salesman..... (not a liscensed insurance agent, just a third party witness to allow document signing without agent present.) I am not saying that they are exactly the same values, but each position represents the same series of options for each manufacter.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number EmptyAugust 28th 2009, 2:02 pm

besides, the only thing the general public really would use out of all those numbers is the tenth digit anyways.... Especially for purchasing a used vehicle... ti is amazing how often people lie when they try to sell a car, and to boost value they could subtract a year or two from its age, especially if the model did not change much, like the Jeep Wrangler for example.... and as a consumer, knowing the year code is very important.... IMO
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number EmptyAugust 28th 2009, 2:45 pm

Junior, your agreeing with me and you didnt even realize it. Laughing If you read my first post, it says;
Quote :
"except for the first few characters, each manufactures sets its own guidelines and sequence to their vins."
Discounting the first digits, the 4th digit on a GM is going to mean something different then the 4th digit on a Nissan. The 8th digit on a GM is going to mean something different then the 8th digit on a Nissan, etc...

The federal regulations require the vin has to contain certain information, not the specific order of said information or the characters used to mark that information.

Check this link out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Number

My whole point in my first post was just to make people aware of the differences, nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the V.I.N. number   Understanding the V.I.N. number Empty

Back to top Go down

Understanding the V.I.N. number
Page 1 of 1