Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..

Go down 
+2
merlin5577
In2Trux
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
In2Trux
In2Trux

Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2010, 3:10 pm

Yap.. It's a dealership. The big hot shot Service manager has been on the phone a couple of times on my behalf.
It was GM that paid for my PS pump. Not the dealership.
He is gonna get them to look after the cost of the Box too. This time the dealership can look after the labour on this install.
Apparently a box install is close to 8 hrs. Not sure why it's 8 hrs. It a lot more accessible then the pump was.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 16th 2010, 10:47 am

Got my truck back from the dealership Friday evening.Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 Biggrin
FIXED.. 100% payed for by GM and even the rental was covered Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 Biggrin
BUT ... There always has to be a BUT It is not 100% perfect.
Apparently There was a GM bulletin a while back regarding the performance of the 07 08 Silverado and Suburban 2500 #670 Steering Gear Box.

This is the Bulletin in a nut shall

Subject: - 670 Gear Box Power Steering Pump, P/S Performance Concerns.

Models:
2003-2006 Cadi Escalade, Escalade ESV, and EXT
2003-2006 Chevy Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Chevy Silverado Classic
2007-2008 Chevy Silverado, Suburban (2500 series only)
2003-2007 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, and XL
2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon XL (2500 series only)

Condition:

Some customers may comment on a lack of steering assist when stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers. (or backing a trailer)Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 Smile A lack of steering assist could occur if the brakes are applied and turning the steering wheel with the vehicle stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers. This condition will go away or greatly improve once vehicle begins to move or is above parking lot speeds. This concern can be aggravated by worn tires, low tire air pressure, low power steering pump pressures, and tires larger than stock size.

Correction:

1:1 FOR 2500 AND 2500 VEHICLES ONLY - If diagnostics did not lead to any repairs, this concern is a normal operating characteristic. No further repairs should be performed. A field Product Report should be submitted - refer to Corp Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002D.

Thank goodness after a new pump and a new steering box mine is back to normal. Normal meaning I don't loose my power steering any more at idle.

The manager spoke of a possible upgrade if the problem persisted or becomes intolerable. Pump upgrade and a steering gear box upgrade to a 680 gear box around $1700.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 16th 2010, 10:59 pm

Interesting. My truck is in those listed and thankfully i've never had a problem. Thanks for the info Glenn. And i'm glad your truck is back up and running smoothly.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 17th 2010, 9:40 pm

That's good you haven't had any problems. They say, keep the fluid up and clean. And it should serve you well. So far I haven't lost power yet. It's actually better now then it has ever has been.
I had my hole brake system flushed and new fluid put in.
More piece of mind Very Happy
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 17th 2010, 10:24 pm

I am anal about fluid levels and the one time I notived my PS fluid was low I topped it up with some Lucas oil. Hasnt been low since. How much did the brake flush cost you? Might be something for me to consider. I hate bleeding brakes.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 17th 2010, 10:38 pm

The brake fluid flush was $110
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 17th 2010, 10:45 pm

Oh, thats not bad at all. May have to look into that.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 17th 2010, 11:02 pm

I was checking out my maintenance schedule. I've never heard of a brake system requiring a flush. But my son said that old brake fluid can be the cause of faulty calipers.
Brake fluid likes moisture. I mean brake fluid will absorb moisture eventually this moisture will reach your calipers.
And I don't want to know how much a set of my calipers are. I"m sure they are more then the $110 of preventative maintenance I just spent.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 17th 2010, 11:03 pm

True, but brake fluid is designed to absorb moisture. Otherwise, you'd have ice crystals in your brake system.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 17th 2010, 11:48 pm

yeah it is designed to absorb water but to much water is where a soft pedal comes from because water compresses more then brake fluid.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 EmptyOctober 18th 2010, 9:37 pm

It's funny how you (me) knew stuff when I was younger but loose it as I get older.
As soon as I was told that Brake fluid absorbs moisture BANG suddenly I remembered, but I didn't realize it would shorten the life of your (my) calipers

That's while the owners manual recommends flushing the fluid with new fluid. Cause the old has done it's job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..   Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes.. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Loosed Power Steering and Power Brakes..
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2