Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) Empty
PostSubject: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 4:39 pm

**DISCLAIMER** The info in this thread is a suggestion for a temporaily fix of your on road or off road tire and BY NO MEANS SHOULD BE USED AS A PERMANANT FIX OR REPAIR!! Only someone who has been trained or has extensive knowledge in tire repair should perform said duties the info in this thread is to be used at the users own risk and neither the webpage nor it's affliates accept's any responsiblity for damage or injury caused by misinterpretation of the info contained in this page!!!! Failure to understand all proceedures could result in damage to property severe injury or death!!

Even the toughest tires aren't bulletproof. And if you run them hard enough for long enough - eventually you're going to have to deal with repairing one. Punctures in the tread are easy to fix - just plug them from the outside and add a nice big patch on the inside. Don't use the dinky little plugs and patches you get at auto parts stores - they're only meant for radial tires on a car. Instead, head to the local 18-wheeler or tractor supply house and get a heavy duty plug and patch kit intended for big trucks, off-road equipment, or tractors.

Sidewall damage is another thing altogether. It's what everybody dreads - and for good reason - it can be very difficult to repair. You can't simply plug or patch a sidewall gash - the flexing of the sidewall and the loads imposed on it will spit out a plug in short order. There is some hope however. The trick to a decent sidewall repair is something called a "section repair" that comes from the heavy truck and equipment tire world.

A ‘section repair’ is the term for a professional, industrial repair to a damaged tire. It is normally performed only on large heavy equipment type tires that cost many thousands of dollars. The damaged area is “sectioned” or cut out and the area enlarged – similar to the way you would cut out rusted sheet-metal. A new piece of rubber, or combination of rubber and body-ply is then vulcanized over the damaged area.

Technically, vulcanizing is the process of hardening rubber by combining it with either sulphur, selenium, or tellurium and applying heat. The end result is rubber with a useful level of hardness, but a sufficient amount of elasticity, or flexibility. The process was discovered accidentally by U.S. inventor Charles Goodyear in 1839 and patented in 1844. He named the process "vulcanizing" after Vulcan, the Roman God of fire.

Vulcanizing in the context of tire repair refers to a process where rubber is, essentially, 'welded' by the carefully controlled application of heat, to repair punctures or damage to the tire; using a machine called a vulcanizer.

There are also several types of “cold-cure”, “no-heat”, or "cold fusion" vulcanizing processes that can be used by either the professional or do-it-yourselfer. Generally, you grind out the damaged area, apply a large patch-like repair section (often called a “boot”) inside the tire and then apply some sort of cold vulcanizing chemical. After a prescribed amount of time (often up to 72 hours – depending on the manufacturer) the repair is chemically cured.

In most cases, radial tires are much less readily repaired using these methods, especially if the damage is to the sidewall, because of the risk of a blowout known as a “zipper”. Recall that all the chords in all the plies in a radial lie in the same direction. This means that a split or gash in the sidewall of a radial can quickly spread – like cutting a board with an axe along the grain, leading to sudden and explosive failure.

In fact, most tire manufacturers, along with the Rubber Manufacturers Association state that it is unsafe to repair (especially in a radial) a tire injury that is outside of the steel belts, or located on any part of the sidewall.

However, for a trail-only, off-road, bias ply tire a professional section repair can save the tireBY

Last edited by FaselZ71 on August 18th 2009, 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 4:41 pm

Just be very care running a tire with a patch or plug. The repair becomes the weak spot, making that area most likely to fail under stress.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 4:43 pm

True however if it's late and your 20 miles from the camp and you gota flat a plug maybe your only option...
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 4:45 pm

Oh I completely agree, its a great stop gap, but I still urge caution. Nothing worse then towing a trailor and a plug popping out on a steering tire.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 4:47 pm

Oh man I understand that for sure... Here I'll fix it!!! lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 4:59 pm

You didnt have to do that Fasel. I was just voicing my concern.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 5:05 pm

I know and I just covered our ***es... That's all we need is some dumb*** fixing his tire cause of what I said and getting into an accident from a blowout and then coming after me and and the website cause they thought they could fix the tire for cheap I appreciate your concern that's why I fixed it I'm not offended...

Last edited by merlin5577 on August 18th 2009, 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed profanity)
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 5:12 pm

Gotcha, thanks again bud!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)   Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution) Empty

Back to top Go down

Different types of tire repair (Only use with extreme caution)
Page 1 of 1