Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

engine light and hesitating

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

engine light and hesitating Empty
PostSubject: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 19th 2010, 1:13 pm

As I said in my other thread I'm thinking about taking Dads 02 Dodge Stratus (2.4 DOHC 4cyl 79K on it) for now. It only has a couple of problems that I'm wondering about.

problem 1 and 2: Its been hesitating some. Not a lot but sometimes. And the check engine light comes on every couple of weeks. I dont remember the code but it said a misfire in a cylinder. Could it just need new plugs and a good tune up? Or what?

problem 3: The suspension has been making a squeaking sound when I turn. But I really think it just needs new shocks or struts. I pushed on the front end and it squeaked. Could I be right?

Thanks!

Last edited by stealthdawg09 on February 23rd 2010, 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 19th 2010, 1:35 pm

For your #1 The hesitation and check engine light could be the old dirty MAF (Mass Air Flow) sending unit.
If this has been on going for a while... It may have caused the computer to lean out the fuel/ air mixture causing the plugs to start to foul.

Leading me to #2 A new set of plugs wouldn't hurt after finding out what the fault code was and correcting it.

#3 Just for shits and giggles try putting some Oil on the tops of the strut bearings. Work it in. See if the squeak goes away.
If not? It may be lower ball joints.

That's my 0.02 Maybe some of the other guys have some ideas too. Very Happy

To save some money... If it is the MAF. Try cleaning it yourself. You have nothing to loose. But be prepared to have to buy a new one.
Most mechanics say you can't clean them. But some please have gottin lucky with cleaning them. NOTE don't touch the element.
Use an rattle can electrical contact cleaner. Dry it completely.

Let us know how you did
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 19th 2010, 5:58 pm

#3 is most likely either bad ball joints, or tire rod ends.

IF you can get your hand under the car or reach everything from the engine compartment, put your hand around various suspension parts while pushing up/down. Usually, when parts make that noise, you can "feel" them squeaking/popping. This was the case with my car. 4 new tire rod ends (precaution) and 2 lower ball joints later, she's as quiet as a calm summer breeze.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 19th 2010, 11:02 pm

Mike, if you take the car to a local autozone and get the code pulled, that will help a lot to determine your problem.
Back to top Go down
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 19th 2010, 11:55 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
Mike, if you take the car to a local autozone and get the code pulled, that will help a lot to determine your problem.

I'm planning on doing that first thing in the morning
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 20th 2010, 12:58 am

Let us know how it turns out. I'd luv to know
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 20th 2010, 3:45 pm

stealthdawg09 wrote:
merlin5577 wrote:

I'm planning on doing that first thing in the morning

Awesome. Let us know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 20th 2010, 8:38 pm

Heres what I got. Code: P0300 multiple cylinder misfire I cleared it out just to get the light to go off lol.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 20th 2010, 8:49 pm

Now we just need to find out why the computer caused the multi cylinder miss fire.. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 21st 2010, 9:07 pm

Definately spark plugs and or wires. Probably got a dying plug or a worn out wire. Time to head to the parts store Mike.
Back to top Go down
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 22nd 2010, 9:33 am

merlin5577 wrote:
Definately spark plugs and or wires. Probably got a dying plug or a worn out wire. Time to head to the parts store Mike.

Well I think I know where the 25 bucks that I won on a scratch off ticket is going Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyFebruary 22nd 2010, 10:38 am

Mike
Does your 2.4 DOHC have a cap and rotor? or is it one of those ignition box?

EDIT : P0300 code just answered my own question. If you get that code you must have an computerized ignition box.
I was gonna suggest rotor and cap. LOL but that pretty impossible Embarassed

Plugs and wires should fix her right up. At 79,000 those quite possible might be the original
Back to top Go down
imhsar

imhsar

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyJuly 15th 2010, 12:59 am

I had P0300 code on my 97 Camaro Z28 AFTER replacing ignition wires and found it was caused by damaged ignition wires due to incorrect routing of the wires themselves. There are two areas where the wires can be damaged very easily. One is where the wires go behind the alternator bracket on the passenger side of the engine. I had completely removed my alternator bracket to replace the spark plugs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.supertrucksamerica.com
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating EmptyJuly 15th 2010, 9:33 pm

Wow I forgot about this thread. I dont even have that car now I traded with Dad for the Volvo lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: engine light and hesitating   engine light and hesitating Empty

Back to top Go down

engine light and hesitating
Page 1 of 1