Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

S-Series Rear End

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fourtrax
Fourtrax

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 12:20 pm

Hey guys I just wanted to double check that the rear end assembly between a 97 S-10 4x4 truck and 2001 GMC 4x4 Jimmy are the same. With the exception of the disc/drum brakes.

What I need to do is replace the rear end in our Jimmy as its making some noises. I have a spare rear end that was replaced in my 97 S-10 last year because it needs a pinion bearing but otherwise is in good shape. (was just easier for me to swap the whole unit out at the time) So I shouldn't have any trouble replacing the pinion bearing in the 97 rear pulling the axles and swapping backing plates as well as all other disc brake hardware from the 2001 unit on to the 97 unit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. BTW I have already verified that they are the same gear ratio as well.

Thanks
Kevin
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 12:48 pm

You should be good to go, both use the 7.5 inch 10bolt. Good luck, and take lots of pictures!
Back to top Go down
Fourtrax
Fourtrax

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 12:50 pm

Thanks so much! I appreciate you verifying that for me. I'll let you know how it works out.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 4:45 pm

Make sure when you replace the pinion bearing that you set the correct bearing preload and set the correct backlash... New shims along with your pinion bearing wouldn't be a bad idea... Now let's look at a few thing here real quick before you go gunhoe on this!! The old axle with the bad bearing... These noises you speak of what where they? Was it a loud clunk or slappng sound when put in gear? Having a bad pinion bearing can off set backlash and possibly break the carrier or wobble out the hole that your pin goes thru. If your rear end was making the said clunking or slapping sound then chances are you carrier is thrashed and will need replacing... Now the carrier out of both axles should be interchangable as the ring gear is the same size it should just be a simple swap... If you do have to change the carrier and the pinion bearing might as well use the pinion from the donor axle. It's always better to have the same lot when setting up a gear set. Good luck take lots of pics and above all if you replace the pinion seal(which you may have to replace the pinion seal to take out the bearing) use gear oil to lube the seals don't use grease!! Grease and oil are 2 different componds and will force against each other and cause leaking!!!
Back to top Go down
Fourtrax
Fourtrax

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 4:58 pm

Fasel,

I'll try to sum this up with out writing a novel. The rear that I have laying around is out of my 97 Pickup. The pinion bearing is believed to be bad as there was alot of play on the pinon shaft causing vibrations. When we removed the rear end we took the cover off and didn't see any metal shaving or anything bad looking. The rear worked fine and was quiet just had vibrations on de-acceleration.

The noise we have in the 01 Jimmy is a whining moaning noise. Present from about 5mph getting loudest at about 45-50 and seems to go away at 65 and up (or just can't hear it from road noise ect). It does NOT vibrate or clunk just whines something awful. Just started doing it out of the blue. The noise is the same wether its under a load or coasting down a hill. I checked the fluid in the rear and it was a tad bit low but not enough to make a difference. What I did notice is that the fluid has a gray-ish tint to it which I assume is from metal shavings but can not confirm that. I jacked up the back end and put it in drive and listened to the noise. Its coming from the rear end for sure, and does not appear to be coming from one side over the other.

So my plan in order to save me from buying yet ANOTHER rear end was to fix the one out of my pickup since it appears in fine shape minus the play in the pinion shaft which should be easy to fix as I will take it in to my uncle who is a mechanic and let him repair the rear end, then when its finished go in and swap it out.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 5:31 pm

Ok that sounds like a good plan... The whining noise sounds like a backlash issue to me. Sounds like the pinion is riding to deep in the root of the ring gear. However swapping out the rear axle is easier then resetting backlash and trying to track down the problem!!
Back to top Go down
Fourtrax
Fourtrax

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 5:34 pm

Yeah I figure this would be our best option, and will reduce down time, since the "spare car" needs a new clutch master cyl and is not drivable. One thing after another I tell you. Mad
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 5:36 pm

yeah they would be the same exact rear end minus the jimmy having the disc brakes... if your lucky your jimmy has a g80 rear and it is a limited slip rear.. you can check the rpo code in the glovebox.. the 97 rear wont have the LS or any of them bells and whistles being that 98 was the first year for it in the blazers.. good luck on the swap.. ill be doing the same one probely wednesday so i can get my truck back on the road.. the lift at the shop is finally free and im tackling my tranny if it takes me all night.. lol
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 5:37 pm

Oh man I hear there... I've got a thread on here about problems I'm having with my current "spare" car because my truck is not drivable at this time!

Yeah the lowest amount down time is always the bast option!
Back to top Go down
Fourtrax
Fourtrax

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 5:38 pm

I'm not lucky enough to be blessed with the G80 code on either of our S-Series... only on the Firebird. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 5:39 pm

i was blessed... then i blew it to peices.. hsahaha
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 6:01 pm

HAHAHA That seems to be the story of you life huh??? lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

S-Series Rear End Empty
PostSubject: Re: S-Series Rear End   S-Series Rear End Empty

Back to top Go down

S-Series Rear End
Page 1 of 1