Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? Empty
PostSubject: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 5:32 pm

I'm assuming it's the same for a S10.

A friend of mines cars' fuel pump died. they have a new one, but can't figure out how to drop the tank. I have no idea how to do it in an S10 or Bravada, perhaps someone here knows? (Joe?)

Anyone have a clear, detailed step-by-step I can e-mail to her husband? He isn't very mechanically inclined, but wants to try it before he calls the "mechanic on wheels"

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 7:04 pm

its fairly simply but you do need a special tool for the gas lines.. that can be picked up at any parts store for a few bucks though..

first off he needs an extra set of hands.. i did it by myslef and it was darn near impossible but i managed.. there are 2 straps that have 15mm bolts at the ends.. they are located right next to the driveshaft and you can follow the straps to figure out where they are..

second you wanna lower the tank enough that you can get your hand in there and take off the gas lines..this is where the second set of hands is needed.. one to steady the tank and the other to take off the lines. you can take off the first bracket that holds on the lines and it makes things a little easier.. dont forget about the one in the front of the tank.. it is just a vaccum line and can be cut close to the tank and then once you get the tank down it can be taken the rest of the way off..

lower the tank all the way and take the ring off.. its gonna eather have a snap ring or a plastic ring that you spin depending on what model it is.. metal tanks have a plastic ring and plastic tanks have a metal snap ring.. insert new pump assembly and reverse the steps...

make sure you tank is most of the way empty before you do this as well.. mine was 3/4 full and my guage said it was empty.. so be carefull on that one..
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 10:40 pm

Thank you Joe, I'll post here if he has any more questions.

when we did it in my old GMC, it was easy. We just removed the bed Laughing
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 10:48 pm

Go off road redneck style... Pull away the trim lift the carpet and cut hole in the floor above the sending unit and do it that way!! lol and fix yourself some brackets and reinstall the cutout for easy access in the future!! haha I've done that 2 or 3 times on different vehicals!!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 5th 2009, 1:55 pm

yeah you could do it that way as well.. i did it on my buddies s10..
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 5th 2009, 3:48 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 5th 2009, 4:31 pm

FaselZ71 wrote:
Go off road redneck style... Pull away the trim lift the carpet and cut hole in the floor above the sending unit and do it that way!! lol and fix yourself some brackets and reinstall the cutout for easy access in the future!! haha I've done that 2 or 3 times on different vehicals!!

+1 thats the setup on my 85'
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 6th 2009, 6:33 pm

Hell yeah that's how I roll!!
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 18th 2009, 11:44 pm

Just an update:

Yesterday, she asked me at work, during my lunch break, if I could look at her car. "It's shifting funny, and acting up in reverse."

Acting up in reverse = When parked with the nose lower than the rear, it will NOT move unless you give it over 1/2 throttle. Even then, it's obviously slipping.
Shifting funny = It bangs into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. I smelled the fluid, and it smelled very burnt. Her husband changed the fluid recently. This is a man, who does not know the difference between a flat head, and a Phillips head screwdriver, apparently. I'm highly betting on the fact he didn't add enough fluid. Which probably cooked the transmission. Once it's warmed up, it's better.

Also, the door hinges need replacing badly, and the door panel needs to be reattached. The blend door is broken (stuck on MAX heat) the serpentine belt is squeaking, and it overheats after idling for 5 minutes when warmed up.

They just put a new fuel pump in. Sheesh. I told her, if you are going to get a shop to fix all of that, it's going to probably border $4000.00.

It only has 150K on it.

So, she's a little sad, but recognizes "it is what it is." She's the home maker type, and she says that maybe it's a sign that she should "sell the Bravada, stay home, and if she needs anything, get Greg to drive her there." Sounds like the perfect wife to me Very Happy

I feel bad for them, I gave them my number and e-mail, if they wanted to discuss options or anything.

Her husband is a real estate agent with a company car, they put "all their eggs" in the real estate basket and moved here from Texas in '04. Big mistake.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 19th 2009, 7:05 am

sounds like a tipical blazer/jimmy/bravada/s10/sonoma... hahaha. they all do the same things and run forever.. well except mine.. only cause when it starts doing something funny i tend to beat the crap out of it to see what breaks first. haha
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? EmptyOctober 21st 2009, 12:01 am

007jimmy wrote:
sounds like a tipical blazer/jimmy/bravada/s10/sonoma... hahaha. they all do the same things and run forever.. well except mine.. only cause when it starts doing something funny i tend to beat the crap out of it to see what breaks first. haha

God man you and me are to much alike!!! When something starts acting up on my vehicals the wife askes me "What's wrong with the car now?" And I reply "Don't know I guess when it breaks we'll fix it!!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?   How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada? Empty

Back to top Go down

How Do you Drop A Fuel Tank In A 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada?
Page 1 of 1