Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

exhaust brake ruin transmission

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

exhaust brake ruin transmission Empty
PostSubject: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 11:48 pm

i have spent the last 2 days spec-ing trucks out, the one in question is a 2010 GMC k3500, with the duramax/allison transmission..... one thing that im wanting is an exhaust brake, but GM wont install/ doesnt install them on the duramax with the allison trans..... out of curiosity, i looked at the 2010 dodge cummins 3500 and it has an allison trans as well, but they install a exhaust brake factory, as standard equipment..... why is it that chevy wont???? i was told by someone that unless you lock the torque converter up, an exhaust brake will cause torque from the rear axle holding back, to overheat,and fry the transmission.... any insight???
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 11:59 pm

exhaust brake?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 2nd 2009, 12:58 am

1993GMCSierra wrote:
exhaust brake?

Yes, exhaust brake. Not to be confused with a jake brake.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/general/0712dp_2005_gmc_sierra_duramax/index.html
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 2nd 2009, 1:03 am

batty1214 wrote:
i have spent the last 2 days spec-ing trucks out, the one in question is a 2010 GMC k3500, with the duramax/allison transmission..... one thing that im wanting is an exhaust brake, but GM wont install/ doesnt install them on the duramax with the allison trans..... out of curiosity, i looked at the 2010 dodge cummins 3500 and it has an allison trans as well, but they install a exhaust brake factory, as standard equipment..... why is it that chevy wont???? i was told by someone that unless you lock the torque converter up, an exhaust brake will cause torque from the rear axle holding back, to overheat,and fry the transmission.... any insight???

I thought the Dodges came with Aisin transmissions? Last I heard only GM used the Allison. Anyway...

I have asked the same question and cant get a straight answer. As you've touched on, the problem is heat. Off throttle, an automatics line pressure decreases, causing the torque applied through the clutch packs to create more slippage and more heat. Fortunately, when in tow/haul mode, the Allison locks the converter and keeps the line pressure relatively linear so it doesnt have that problem. But I still dont know why you cant get an exhaust brake on one.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 2nd 2009, 11:31 am

Hmm, that's interesting. I've never known/ heard of one to exist.

Cool. Cool
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 2nd 2009, 12:18 pm

Batty, I have also heard rumors that the new LML Duramax will use the VGT as the exhaust break as well. Should be interesting.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 2:54 pm

I may be confused, and have read Allison instead of Aisin transmission, but the question remains the same..... now, if i install one on a chevy, and hook a torque converter lockup selinoid up to the exhaust brake switch, so that when you turn the brake on, it locks up the converter, would that be plausible?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 8:24 pm

batty1214 wrote:
I may be confused, and have read Allison instead of Aisin transmission, but the question remains the same..... now, if i install one on a chevy, and hook a torque converter lockup selinoid up to the exhaust brake switch, so that when you turn the brake on, it locks up the converter, would that be plausible?

You could do that. But it would be easier to install a programmer on the transmission.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 8:24 pm

batty1214 wrote:

You could do that. But it would be easier to install a programmer on the transmission.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission EmptyOctober 4th 2009, 8:45 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
batty1214 wrote:

scratch and why did I not think of that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exhaust brake ruin transmission   exhaust brake ruin transmission Empty

Back to top Go down

exhaust brake ruin transmission
Page 1 of 1