Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Another "cheap" mod.

Go down 
+4
johnboggs21
merlin5577
Junior3382
Jimmeh
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

Another "cheap" mod. Empty
PostSubject: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 12th 2010, 7:15 pm

Now, if you don't know a welder with a lot of spare time on his hands, this mod probably isn't cheap (and I did a ton of work on it myself, which helped the cost). But if you do, you can probably get it done, lol.

I finally got my headache rack worked on. I bought it about 6 months ago for $150, and it just looked like butt on my truck. It was way too tall, and there were a couple of tie down points that pushed my tool box way back. So, yesterday, I went to a local welding shop that put a plow on my dads pickup, and for another $60, and about 8 hours of cutting, grinding, sanding, welding, more grinding, more sanding and some paint, I got it fitting on my truck great. Here are some pictures:

Another "cheap" mod. Picture586
Another "cheap" mod. Picture585
Another "cheap" mod. Picture584
Another "cheap" mod. Picture587
Another "cheap" mod. Picture588

I am super happy with it, and I told the guy that come the summer time I will be back for a couple of bumpers. His boss wanted to charge me about $200 to fix my headache rack, but he is off working in ND, and I told Wade (the guy I worked with yesterday) that I would do most of the work and bring a case of beer if he cut that price in half. Well, he ended up telling me $20 an hour, and it probably wouldn't take us more then about two, but we had quite the fight on our hands. It took a lot of sanding due to the powder coat that was already on the rack. I tried giving him the full $100, but he gave me back $40, so it worked out good in the end.

Oh yeah, I also painted my grille emblem black with the same bedliner paint I used on my tool box. I'm not sure if I like it yet.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 12th 2010, 10:08 pm

Are these recent pictures? Like OMG, you already have that much snow? I am totally jealous! LOL

Anywho, looks good man!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 12th 2010, 11:16 pm

Those were taken today. The snow is melting because it's like 40 degrees, lol. It's actually raining right meow.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 13th 2010, 12:52 am

Yeah, we were supposed to get like 5-7 inches of that cool white stuff this weekend, but this stupid warm front moved in and it was closer to 50 degrees today! LOL.... so it was all rain for us too... Sad

I don't really look forward to the snow, but I wanted a real excuse to move the little shift lever thingarmajig in my jeep OFF the 2WD setting! HAHAHAHAHA

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 13th 2010, 9:10 am

That's how I felt for the first week or snow of the snow we had. Then it kept coming and it got super cold (-30 in some places), now it's warm and wet and old. Supposed to get more snow/rain today.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 13th 2010, 10:53 am

Looks awesome Jimmeh! Do you have any pictures of the build itself? And how did you mount it ot the bed?
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 13th 2010, 5:48 pm

I do have some pictures that I took on my phone, but I haven't to e-mail them to myself yet and my phone is in the truck. Right now my box is holding it down. I mounted my box using J hooks that hook to the under side of the bed rails, and with all my tools in it, I highly doubt it'll move at all.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 12:02 am

Junior3382 wrote:
Are these recent pictures? Like OMG, you already have that much snow? I am totally jealous! LOL

Anywho, looks good man!

as of yesterday im sitting on 15 inches with 8 foot drifts...
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 12:17 am

Well, as of about 20 minutes ago, my driveway is mostly clear except for the huge ice skating rink. I think it's raining, but I can't hear it, and I'm too lazy to go outside.

After looking over the rack a little more today, I see a few spots I missed with the rattle can. I think they'll survive until the weather clears up and the snow is officially gone however.
Back to top Go down
Ryan_Crossman96
Ryan_Crossman96

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 1:52 am

It looks good bud.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 10:36 am

Rack looks awesome. Nice work.
You want snow? come on up here. We got DUMPED on Sat Sun and Mon. Mad
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 10:42 am

Nice Smile
black bowties are the way to go brother, none of that sissy chrome stuff Wink
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 4:12 pm

Well, it was the golden one. I think my truck just has the monotonous thing going on with the black and white. Might be nice to have something else thrown in there to break it up a bit. Like I said, I'm just not sure I like it yet.
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 4:24 pm

This is my rig after the body shop repaired the deer damage with golden Bowtie
Another "cheap" mod. 06_aft10

this is my rig with black bowtie.... i think is rad
Another "cheap" mod. 06_and11
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 7:46 pm

now, I'm not usually one for the headache rack look, buuuut I actually like this one. it adds a unique look to an already good looking truck. I cant wait to get mine out of the shop. stupid deer.
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 7:56 pm

just a suggestion, that rack would also be a great platform to mount some spot lights, and maybe even a CB antenna. a bit 80's, yes, but just a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 8:17 pm

I was just thinking about the antenna idea, and spot lights are a must. I'll be adding two that face backwards so I can use them in the dark winter mornings to get my tools out of my tool box or the summer nights of firewood cutting. Plus the rack kind of takes away the cab light, lol.
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 14th 2010, 8:33 pm

yea, i mean if youve got it on there, it might as well be holding somethin, ya know?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 22nd 2010, 2:22 pm

Britewhiteram wrote:
Nice Smile
black bowties are the way to go brother, none of that sissy chrome stuff Wink

You should have made it red.... to match the coolant and ATF leaking from your truck! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 22nd 2010, 6:28 pm

I have that stuff leaking from my truck? I had no idea...Wink
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. EmptyDecember 22nd 2010, 8:01 pm

Jimmeh wrote:
I have that stuff leaking from my truck? I had no idea...Wink

Laughing No... Aaron does. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another "cheap" mod.   Another "cheap" mod. Empty

Back to top Go down

Another "cheap" mod.
Page 1 of 1