Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

alright guys time to educate me a bit

Go down 
+3
merlin5577
doc_auto
johnboggs21
7 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

alright guys time to educate me a bit Empty
PostSubject: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 28th 2010, 2:19 pm

I wont lie, i dont know jack squat about auto trannys. So id like you auto tranny experts to tell me about how these things work. I remember reading about the torque converter being locked and unlocked. Whats the difference? I hate owning something, and not knowing nothin about it. Makes me feel like a real bonehead lol. I figure you guys are the best i can do for learnin about my E4OD short of tearing it apart and examining the internals lol.
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 28th 2010, 5:26 pm

im right there with ya. i wont be able to take that class till my next semester.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 28th 2010, 6:44 pm

I'm a visual learner, so the easiest way to show you is...

http://www.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission.htm
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 28th 2010, 7:33 pm

Interesting. thats alot to absorb lol
Back to top Go down
Milwaukee

Milwaukee

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 28th 2010, 8:24 pm

I wouldn't mess with that E40D it would turn to expensive lessons.

I been though with my 95 F250 it no fun when it won't stay gear it jump 1 to 4 then 3 then 1

Replaced VSS sensor and repair wiring on vss it went back to normal.

Just leave alone. Just change filter and oil you be fine. Turn off overdrive when tow.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 29th 2010, 2:35 pm

I dont wanna really tear into my E4OD unless i have to for some reason, but when it goes ill probly dump it for a ZF5. Im jus lookin to learn a little bit about automatics.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 30th 2010, 12:58 pm

Ahh BS, C'mon buddy lets tear that thing apart !!! Git'r Done.
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 31st 2010, 1:35 am

the best way to learn is to tear it apart and attempt to rebuild it.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyMarch 31st 2010, 9:53 am

im about to learn a little more about auto trannys myself.. i am rebuilding the 4l60e that came out of my jimmy and im throwing a shift kit and better components in it. i had the last one built but i wanna do this one myself.. the new one still feels a little soft if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 2nd 2010, 2:50 am

What kinda good stuff you putting in it Jimmy???
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 2nd 2010, 2:57 am

b&m shift kit, kevlar clutch packs, stronger shell for the clutches, corvette shift solinoids, deeper tranny pan with a rock slider, braided oil cooler lines with 6AN fittings and a bigger tranny fluid cooler. i spent 475 bucks on just the parts so i hope i dont break this one too.. lol.. it should be pretty bullet proof because alot of the parts i ordered a freind of mine is running in his 9 second corvette ls7 car.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 2nd 2010, 3:16 am

that auto transmission thing robert posted doesn't even speak of half of what lies in an E4OD.. they're a pain.. full of wires, servos, controlled by the computer.. boooo.. ford shoud have put more thought into the E4OD before actually putting them in their trucks.. you get any kind of moisture in it, BYE BYE 1st and 2nd gear servos and clutches!
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 2nd 2010, 12:01 pm

007jimmy wrote:
b&m shift kit, kevlar clutch packs, stronger shell for the clutches, corvette shift solinoids, deeper tranny pan with a rock slider, braided oil cooler lines with 6AN fittings and a bigger tranny fluid cooler. i spent 475 bucks on just the parts so i hope i dont break this one too.. lol.. it should be pretty bullet proof because alot of the parts i ordered a freind of mine is running in his 9 second corvette ls7 car.
Hopefully you are reffering to Corvette Servo and Beast Sun Shell. Kevlar Bands are good for racing, but keep in mind they don't last as long either. They are necessary for race applicatons to hold the drum tighter and betting holding, but not really for stock. Red Alto clutches also used for racing and do not last as long. But here is the deal. IF you are building it yourself, and you get it right. The trans will work great. As long as you got the good stuff, then you can rebuild it again and just replace clutches and seals when it wears out again. There is also a boost valve you should upgrade too, but I wanting to say the -E models already have that updgrade.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 2nd 2010, 1:57 pm

[quote="TruckAddict"]
007jimmy wrote:
There is also a boost valve you should upgrade too, but I wanting to say the -E models already have that updgrade.

i maybe wrong.. but i don't think the early year E4OD's had them
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 2nd 2010, 3:32 pm

you hit the nail on the head truckaddict..
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 3rd 2010, 10:37 am

[quote="79_bronco"]
TruckAddict wrote:
007jimmy wrote:
There is also a boost valve you should upgrade too, but I wanting to say the -E models already have that updgrade.

i maybe wrong.. but i don't think the early year E4OD's had them

Are you saying they don't have a Boost Valve? E4OD DOES have a boost vavle in the pump. Its happens to not be so good, and really it ought to be upgraded in every E4OD trans built. I have one of those transmissions in my box van. It happens to be one of the sloppiest shifting transmissions I have ever driven. But thats the way they are and is normal for their charachter. I have never built one myself, but hope to someday, just hope its not my own anytime soon. I found this info out when I thought about putting a shift kit of sorts in this trans in the box van. I decided to leave it alone since there isn't much of shift kit, but to replace this boost valve in the pump which requires R&R of the transmission. hmmmm Imagine that !!! Gotta love those Fords. I will say this much though in favor of the E4OD. Where GM is using Vane pumps in the later transmisisons, E4OD uses pump gears similar to what Turbo 350 and 400 use. Much stronger than Vane pumps. Not sure why GM ever changed from that style.

Speaking of Vane pumps Jimmy, many like to "Upgrade" the Vane pump in the 4L60/700r4/4L60-E to a 12 Vane pump over the 10 Vane pump. More is better right??? NOPE. The 10 Vane pump is actually better to have. The 12 Vanes put more pressure and stress on the Vane Rotor and end up causing breakage. If you have the 12 Vane pump which not likely I don't think in the -E since by then GM realized this and all transmissions got the 10 Vane after that, but just leave it at 10 Vane if thats what you have. It's NOT an "Upgrade" to go to the 12 Vane pump. Its actaully a downgrade in strength although it may give a bit higher pump line pressure, but thats what boost valves do, they increase line pressure where needed, keeping the stress off the pump.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 4th 2010, 12:35 pm

Holy Crap HotRod. My eyes actually hurt from so much information! Rep points awarded buddy, thanks for the great post!
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 4th 2010, 10:03 pm

Thanks Merlin. Hopefully someone gets use of the info.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 6th 2010, 12:24 pm

I have no doubt they will.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 6th 2010, 4:00 pm

very good info thanks for the tips.. i missed them the first time around apperently.. but anyways.. i didnt opt for the 12 vane pump cause i knew about these problems.. im not going for a race car tranny.. just something for the rocks.. the wife dont drive the truck much anymore so she gave me the go ahead to DO AS I PLEASE with it.. lol.. she has no idea... hahaha
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 6th 2010, 4:08 pm

and joe's wallet begins to scream.. haha

i've never heard of any issues with a 12 vane.. but i've never really messed with a chevy trans that much.. good info to keep in the back of the mind
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 6th 2010, 10:15 pm

im sure youll keep that far back in your mind.. lol.. and yes my wallet is already screaming from the 500 bucks i just put out for the kids birthday at funplex.. now im down to slim pickens and i still gotta get them scooters and helmets.. having kids is interfering with my rig money.. lol
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 6th 2010, 10:25 pm

you're right.. it'll be waaaaaay far back in my mind, because i don't intend on building a chevy anytime soon lol
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 6th 2010, 10:28 pm

arent you building 2 at the oment... lol..
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit EmptyApril 6th 2010, 10:37 pm

the motor in 1 isn't getting touched and the other.. FORD POWERED BABY!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: alright guys time to educate me a bit   alright guys time to educate me a bit Empty

Back to top Go down

alright guys time to educate me a bit
Page 1 of 1