Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Thoughts on this part

Go down 
+2
Junior3382
merlin5577
6 posters
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Thoughts on this part Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 5th 2010, 10:33 pm

So the 'quick release' on my spare tire carrier decided it didnt like me anymore and that it didnt want to work, thankfully, I caught it before it became an issue. I ended up unbolting it from the crossmember and just throwing the spare in the bed. Checked out the dealership and a few other places and it seems to be a pricey part. So.......................... I've been looking for cheaper options. I found this and it seems to be a good product. Thoughts?

http://www.homeproductsnmore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PTSTM&Click=3676

Last edited by merlin5577 on August 5th 2010, 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 5th 2010, 10:48 pm

If you do not mind the space in the bed it will use, I have seen quite a few trucks with this part around here. It is easier to access, and looks kinda cool IMO..... I know it does not take up a whole lot of space, but depending on how much and how often you haul stuff.... I can see it getting in the way.... but that is your call I would think.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 5th 2010, 10:52 pm

OMG why didn't I think of that... $15.00 in material and charge the public $46
By the end of the year I would be laying on the beach in Aruba sipping on my beer.

Print that off and you got the basics to build your own.
Personally I would look for a way to secure the spare under the truck again, to save on box space.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 5th 2010, 11:04 pm

on my old truck I just shoved the spare underneath the toolbox......wasnt really using the space under the toolbox anyways.....sure it still stuck out some, but not much. Hell if it was ever in the way i just took it out of the box and put it in the back seat lol, thats one advantage to an extended cab truck
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 9:55 am

yeah i hate those stock spare tire mounts.. for one they are a pain to wind up and down when they start to get older.. they put you in a really bad spot on the highway if you have to change a tire.. who wants to stand with your back facing traffic while you attempt to get your spare tire down that is rusted up there.. lol.. and then when you do get it down your not even sure it has air in it cause its something that is kinda out of site out of mind.. how often do you guys check your spare tires under there..

for me i would make my own mount like that.. if i had a tool box it would get mounted to where they have it in the pics.. if i didnt i would stand it up behind the back window... thats if i am even carring a spare.. most of the time im not cause my front and back tires are tottally different sizes.. i just carry a plug kit with a compressor and an electric impact gun if im going anywere far like to the beach and whatnot.. ask jr.. i went to RC without a spare for the jimmy.. lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 12:07 pm

Amen Joe. Thats one of the reasons I dont want to put it back under the truck. Maybe the Suburban is spoiling me, but I like having it in easy reach. As for space, my toolbox is too deep to fit the tire under it, and right now I just have it bungee corded to the side of the truck, kind of like it is in that picture. Its not very stable though, and if I just lay it down in the bed it just slides around. I think I am going to see about building a mount like this, or just buying one.

The one thing I dont like about it though is its just wedged in there. Kind of want a more permanent mount. Maybe drill a hole through each mounting pad and bolt it right to the bed?
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 4:09 pm

if your spare is sliding around, you need to take it easier on the go pedal lol......im gonna assume you probly have no bedliner or one of those junk plastic ones? I had a rubber mat in the old Ford, and nothing would slide around. It would tip over sooner than slide around lol.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 5:32 pm

WHY NOT MOUNT IT TO THE BACK OF YOUR TOOL BOX STANDING UP.. darn caps lock.. lol.. but all you need to do is get 2 peices of scrap plate steel and a short peice of angle iron or tubing and make your mount.. dont weld it to your tool box though.. just drill a couple holes in the plate and the box to secure it.. you would have to weld it to the side of the bed and risk burning your paint if you wanted to put it on the side.. you could even weld it to the bed floor if you wanted to lay it down or have it on an angle off to the side so it dont stick up past the bed.. its all up to you.. lol options are endless.. hell put it on the roof if you want..
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 6:03 pm

^thats a good idea... and i was about to say put it on the roof lol.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 8:57 pm

y not put it in front of the grille on the front of the truck? lol
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 9:04 pm

johnboggs21 wrote:
y not put it in front of the grille on the front of the truck? lol

My dad always did that to all of his Chev trucks. It came in handy during those road rage moments. I've seen him
put that spare up against another vehicle in a fit of rage and give the guy a shuv out of the way. Mad
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 6th 2010, 9:08 pm

lol, i came close to doing that to quite a few people with my old diesel after I put the treekiller on
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part EmptyAugust 28th 2010, 7:26 pm

Laughing That would look ridiculous on my truck. Mounted on the roof or the front. Laughing

I'm either going to make a mount for inside the bed, or buy one that slides into the trailor hitch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on this part   Thoughts on this part Empty

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on this part
Page 1 of 1