Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

6 steps to buying a car for your teen

Go down 
+3
1993GMCSierra
Junior3382
merlin5577
7 posters
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

6 steps to buying a car for your teen Empty
PostSubject: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 5:44 pm

Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 6:17 pm

Excellent post. I still have over 12 years before i have to deal with this though.... HAHAHAHA
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 7:28 pm

How about this? This is my method, and the one I've used.

Parents,

Don't buy your child a car. Make him work and EARN the money, and let HIM buy it. Tell him, he will be paying the insurance, repair bills, gas, registration, plates ,etc.

Will your teen buy a Mustang GT? Chevy Camaro? Doubt it. Once they realize they can't keep up the insurance, and mom and dad won't be there to help. They will be sensible. They will buy a car that is cheaper, has a low insurance bill, and is hopefully easy to maintain.

My parents never told me I had to pay for anything. I chose to.

I'm 17, to date I've bought three vehicles, and I pay the insurance, repairs, state fees, plates ,etc.

Your kid will learn how to manage his/her money so they can drive their pride and joy when they want, and they have to know they can't just come begging to you when they blew $150 at a party last night ,and can't drive any until their next paycheck.

In real life, there isn't a bail-out. You have to pay back everything you borrow, in some way or another. Your kid will also appreciate their car, since THEY have to pay for it.

Nothing disgusts me more, than seeing some spoiled kid, who barely keeps a 2.0 GPA, pull up in a 2009 [Insert Name], aftermarket accessories, stereos, etc and their parents paid for it all. Plus, give them a credit card that their parents pay "for gas."

It's disgusting. When those kids enter the REAL world, they are gonna look like a deer caught in the headlights.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 7:58 pm

1993GMCSierra wrote:
How about this? This is my method, and the one I've used.

Parents,

Don't buy your child a car. Make him work and EARN the money, and let HIM buy it. Tell him, he will be paying the insurance, repair bills, gas, registration, plates ,etc.

Will your teen buy a Mustang GT? Chevy Camaro? Doubt it. Once they realize they can't keep up the insurance, and mom and dad won't be there to help. They will be sensible. They will buy a car that is cheaper, has a low insurance bill, and is hopefully easy to maintain.

My parents never told me I had to pay for anything. I chose to.

I'm 17, to date I've bought three vehicles, and I pay the insurance, repairs, state fees, plates ,etc.

Your kid will learn how to manage his/her money so they can drive their pride and joy when they want, and they have to know they can't just come begging to you when they blew $150 at a party last night ,and can't drive any until their next paycheck.

In real life, there isn't a bail-out. You have to pay back everything you borrow, in some way or another. Your kid will also appreciate their car, since THEY have to pay for it.

Nothing disgusts me more, than seeing some spoiled kid, who barely keeps a 2.0 GPA, pull up in a 2009 [Insert Name], aftermarket accessories, stereos, etc and their parents paid for it all. Plus, give them a credit card that their parents pay "for gas."

It's disgusting. When those kids enter the REAL world, they are gonna look like a deer caught in the headlights.

cheers I completely agree, and I applaud you 1993. I remember in high school having a POS car and having to pay for everything myself while friends parents all bought them cars. Two years later, I still had my car and they had all broken or crashed theirs. Nothing teaches you responsibility like experience. cheers
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 8:58 pm

Exactly.

(btw, I wasn't trying to bash you for posting the article, it's good advice.)

Hope it didn't come off that way.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptyAugust 23rd 2009, 10:58 pm

I bought the Mustang and 76. Bought the 76 when I was 13, Mustang when I was 14, and I worked for the money here at home. We own Osage Creek Log Furniture so I work there.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptyAugust 24th 2009, 12:59 am

i'm guilty of my mom buying my first car.. she only paid 250 for it and i dumped about 3k and 2 motors into it within 6 months.. first motor was the original which i got with no heads.. built it ran it for a few weeks and it wasn't powerful enough.. so i put a little money away, put together a 306, picked up a C6 and B&M ratchet shifter and had the baddest 88 tbird around.. til i pulled the motor for my bronco and the car sat around for a while Laughing
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptySeptember 5th 2009, 11:13 pm

i bought every truck i have owned..... ive paid for everything on them too....... i am like gmc.... i hate seeing daddys money being thrashed hard, and put away carelessly...... i bought my 78 ford for 100, and it had a scarred cylinder wall that held no compression, so i got a v7 ford 400, 4 speed manual, and a whole bunch of rust.... but a piss poor ride beats a dang good walk...... my kid will work for his truck/car as well.... i have too many toys to pay for of my own.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptySeptember 6th 2009, 12:08 am

Thats the way it outta be.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptySeptember 6th 2009, 12:49 pm

That's about the same as me... All the vehicals I own I paid for! My dad lent me the money so I could pay for the truck in a lump sum and then made payments to him until it was paid off the I had like 2 fuel pumps and other crap! I made the mistake though and I totalled it before I had it paid off and my dad made me pay him the rest off the money! But depending on how my daughter acts and treats other things of her own and whether or not she respects and has the love for trucks like I do. If she does and if I have another really nice ride she just may get the Z71 as a hand me down... But before the bashing begins let me say this she WILL respect me and her mother, she WILL appreciate things that she owns, she WILL have to prove to me that she can handle the responsiblity of a high maintance vehical... However I still have 14 years before I have to make this decision so it'll be a desision that I'll be giving a crap load of thought!!! And the only reason why I'm even thinking about doing this is because for one I don't want to see her wit until she's 21 before she finally gets the truck of her dreams! I don't know call me crazy but it's just something I've been thinking about doing!
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen EmptySeptember 6th 2009, 11:10 pm

I made payments, but only because I am employed by them. I worked off the truck for a year, and now I take care of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6 steps to buying a car for your teen   6 steps to buying a car for your teen Empty

Back to top Go down

6 steps to buying a car for your teen
Page 1 of 1