Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter

Go down 
+2
merlin5577
1993GMCSierra
6 posters
AuthorMessage
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter Empty
PostSubject: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 1st 2010, 3:39 pm

What's the biggest problem most of us face in the winter? Snow! Sure, a vehicle getting snowed on doesn't hurt it, or even really detract from it, but, rock salt sure does. What was once a shiny beacon of Detroit's Finest easing down the road is almost instantly transformed into a dirty old clunker. For some people, this is fine - a vehicle is nothing more than something that allows you to get from point A to point B without walking. For the rest of us, this is unacceptable.

First, an example of what a single 40 mile trip can do to a nice vehicle:

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10001 How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10003 How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10004

First, we need a medium to get the salt off the vehicle for good. I use Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash, or, in a pinch, Zip Wax Cash Wash works. They say one oz. per gallon, but I usually pour a soda can worth in there, as it's just not as watered down, plus it does a better job cleaning the wheel wells and so on. I use a 5 gal. bucket to hold it all, but if you're just doing 1 vehicle, a 2 gal. bucket will do fine.

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10006

It's best to hose the vehicle down first, as (depending on your water pressure) it will knock off ~ 50-70% of the salt buildup. However, that is just the extra buildup, it doesn't clean off what has adhered to your vehicles' surface.

Contrary to what people will tell you, it's fine to use the "jet" stream on your nozzle. It won't affect the paint any. If your paint is loose and flaking, it probably will, but if your paint is that bad, I doubt you care about washing it, and if you do care about it's appearance, you might as well get it repainted.

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10007

Now, comes the time to wash. With this, it is important. Clear coat finishes scratch fairly easy, believe it or not. I recommend microfiber, lambswool, or similar to wash. DO NOT USE A COTTON WASHCLOTH. They are fine for your skin, but not clearcoats. DO NOT USE DISH DETERGENTS! They are fine for dishes, but will damage clearcoat/paint after extended use. The cleaners they contain are too abrasive. It's like taking sandpaper to your clearcoat.

Just go in a up/down or side/side motion. Rubbing in circles does nothing more than create spider web scratches in the clearcoat. If your car is white or silver, it's not a big deal, as you really can't tell. But if it's a darker color (esp. black) it will be incredibly obvious in the sun.

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10008

Then, it's just a matter of washing it off. Work quickly, as, surfaces hitting the sun, esp. the horizontal ones, will dry quickly. If they dry with the car wash stuff on them, usually it'll just come off if the wash is reapplied, but on dark colored vehicles, the water marks can become permanent.

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10009

Then, dry it with a microfiber, or chamois cloth. Again, do NOt use a washcloth, or anything of the like. They WILL scratch the clearcoat. If it's 100% cotton, and made for auto use (there is a difference) it can be used, but I prefer microfiber. Very absorbent, leave no "fuzzy" material behind, and do not scratch a finish.

After it dries, you're done!

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10011 How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10010 How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10012 How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter 02-01-10014

One more important thing to mention. Naturally, when it's below freezing, water freezes easily. If water i "moving" it won't start to freeze until ~ 20-24* or so. I bring the wash bucket inside, and fill it with water that's lukewarm. I use that to wash, which gives me ~ a 2-3 minute window before it starts to try and freeze. then, hit it with the hose, and wipe quickly. Works fine for me. When it's real cold, it's fine to use water UP TO 35-40 degrees warmer than the outside temp. So, 20* outside, 55-60* wash water. You cannot use 120* water on a paint surface that is 20*. The paint is not designed to expand/contract that quickly. You won't notice anything at first, but after a few times, the paint and or clearcoat will start separating.

Till next time,

Peace. afro
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 1st 2010, 3:42 pm

Awesome write up William!
Back to top Go down
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 11th 2010, 9:52 am

Here's another way......live in the deep south where snow is not an issue Laughing But nice write up!

Last edited by stealthdawg09 on February 11th 2010, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 11th 2010, 10:13 am

Way to go William LOL
I should do my own version of washing your truck in February from up here in North Bay, Ontario... LOL
I'm sure you could watch the water FREEZE as it comes out of the garden hose LOL.
I don't think much of the water would hit the ground.. It would probably freeze right to the truck.

Awesome write up.. The pictures were great. cheers
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 11th 2010, 12:35 pm

Yes I agree fantasic write up!!
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 11th 2010, 5:28 pm

Thanks guys. Very Happy

Mike, even if you live in the deep south, there is still dust/dirt and mud. Smile
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 11th 2010, 5:53 pm

this is the ONLY way 1 of my s*** boxes will get washed..

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter Bikini-Carwash-Babe-93

if a hot biotch does it in a bikini, no matter what the weather is like Smile
Back to top Go down
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter EmptyFebruary 11th 2010, 5:55 pm

1993GMCSierra wrote:
Thanks guys. Very Happy

Mike, even if you live in the deep south, there is still dust/dirt and mud. Smile

Very true....and red clay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter   How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter Empty

Back to top Go down

How To Wash Your Truck In The Winter
Page 1 of 1