Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Suburban wont start... any ideas?

Go down 
+6
Trucker_Eric
FaselZ71
$/$-AMX
1993GMCSierra
007jimmy
merlin5577
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyJanuary 30th 2010, 11:25 pm

Sounds like a fuel pump, when the one in the 03 Silverado went out it wouldn't start either unless we beat on the tank with a rubber mallet while someone tried to start it.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyJanuary 31st 2010, 1:55 pm

I called the local autozone, the guy told me the fuel pressure tester is not one of the tools they loan. I then called the advance in the next town over, same thing. They told me they will test it for me, but I have to bring the truck to them..... Mad Sears has a tester for my truck for $25, so when I get paid I will just buy one. If that checks out I am going to pull the filter off and pump out some of the fuel to check for water.

76silverado wrote:
Sounds like a fuel pump, when the one in the 03 Silverado went out it wouldn't start either unless we beat on the tank with a rubber mallet while someone tried to start it.

Thanks for the suggestion Clint, but I did try that. The pump does turn on when I turn the key.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyJanuary 31st 2010, 6:14 pm

007jimmy wrote:
TRUE trucks run better when kicked often.. no primped and pampered driveway ornaments.. lol.. just busting your balls 93

I don't care if it ran like crap. It doesn't have to run to sit there and look pretty.

Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 01-30-10012

(Yes, it was dirty then too!) Razz
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyJanuary 31st 2010, 10:21 pm

Where was it dirty?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 1st 2010, 12:07 am

i could be wrong but im pretty sure you can use a normal tire guage to test it on our trucks.. ill have to look tomorrow to give you a definite but im pretty sure its the same diameter valve and all..
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 1st 2010, 4:49 pm

Ok, Time ran out. I need this truck for Wednesday so I have no more time to work on it; I called the tow truck; Sad

Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 Photo-37
Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 Photo-38
Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 Photo-39
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 1st 2010, 4:54 pm

Thank you everyone for your input and advice, it is greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 1st 2010, 5:44 pm

Best of luck to you

(and your wallet!)

Smile
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2010, 12:25 am

hope the tow truck didn't have to go far.. it sucks to have a big tow bill on top of what the mechanic will charge after he's done

it's not TBI, is it?
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2010, 8:17 am

No, his is a 97, which I think is CFI, I don't multiport came out until 98 or 99.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2010, 11:56 am

No, it is only 6 miles to the shop I go to. Wasnt bad at all.

TBI (in GMs) was used until 1995, then in 1996 they went to the SFI injection system.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 2nd 2010, 5:56 pm

oh, ok.. wasn't sure.. not too familiar with GM full size trucks after 88.. anyway, best of luck on it being something quick and easy for the mechanic to fix!
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 4th 2010, 12:18 pm

Ok, got the truck back yesterday.... runs like a top. Total bill came to $88 bucks.... anyone want to guess?

A freaking vacuum line was rotted through, causing an open intake effect. Because of this, the computer refused to let the engine start because it would of had way more air then fuel if it had started. Replaced the line, reset the computer, runs like a top.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 4th 2010, 12:26 pm

88 bucks for a vacuum line? Shocked
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 4th 2010, 12:29 pm

No, an hour of diagnostics, a vacuum line, and installation for $88.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 4th 2010, 12:55 pm

Ah. I'm lucky enough to not pay labor is *most* cases. Friends with the shop owner FTW. Smile

Glad you got the 'Burb back. Cool
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 4th 2010, 1:19 pm

that's not too bad.. most of what you paid was more than likely diagnosis, but that's still a fairly reasonable deal.. bet you're kicking yourself for not checking vacuum lines, i know i would lol
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 4th 2010, 1:46 pm

Same here.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 4th 2010, 11:51 pm

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, shhhhh. I figured it was something stupid when he called me and told me to come pick it up. I asked him how much and he just said relax, come get it.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 5th 2010, 12:36 am

hahah, when you ask most mechanics 'how much'.. they usually say 'bring the KY' hahahaha
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 5th 2010, 8:02 am

79_bronco wrote:
hahah, when you ask most mechanics 'how much'.. they usually say 'bring the KY' hahahaha

Don't think any of mine ever have....

Tell me, how often do you go to get your cars "inspected?" Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 5th 2010, 8:22 am

0nce a year for pa..
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 5th 2010, 9:15 pm

Never! None of those here in AR!
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 5th 2010, 9:40 pm

inspected? honestly, never.. but shhhhh hahahahahah
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 EmptyFebruary 10th 2010, 4:33 am

Lets be realisitc??? When does a mechanic ever say bring the KY??? I hear some stories, and I can tell you, they don't care if you have KY, Vaseline or not. They'll stick right up your butt dry. Lucky for the consumers though, Aholes like that, usually have little chicken dicks !!! When I hear of someone getting treated fair and good, for example, A lady takes her car to a trans shop for failures. The Shop tells her $1800 for a rebuild. I told her, get that thing outta there and call around for prices and ask about warranty, time and mileage etc. Found a place 1 year warranty unlimited mileage with a FREE 12 month check up and trans service to make sure it does not need anything before it goes out of warranty, all that was to be $1500. Another place was $1300 but only a 6mo warranty and that was that. So I told her, go to the $1500 place, that they sound like they are really concerned about their work, and willing to do a check up and free fluid and filter change toward the end of the warranty period. Thats awesome. She took it in one morning. By lunch time, she got a call and said her car was ready. HUH???? How so???? What do you mean how so mam??? It had a bad solenoid and we replaced it and did a full flush on the trans and new filter. You car is ready, total is $180. I told her, those are the kind of people you add to your Christmas Card list and tell everyone about and be sure they know they are apprecitated. People like that, I don't care how bad the economy gets, they will always have work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suburban wont start... any ideas?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next