Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Front differential not staying engaged

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

Front differential not staying engaged Empty
PostSubject: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 28th 2009, 8:47 pm

A 2005 Chevrolet K2500HD, It has the 6.0/4l85E and manual select transfercase.......
The transfer case and transmission is Brand new, I had the dealer install it last week...... before that, We have had the transfercase, and front Diff pulled and gone through, or replaced, at least 6 times..... of those at 2 different dealerships...... Between both Dealerships, Every part in the front differential has been replaced, we have a brand new transfercase, and the 4 wheel drive still will not stay engaged when the truck gets into a hill............. So, with a brand new transmission, transfercase, a basically brand new front differential,(everything but the housing) Why is it not staying engaged in 4x4 when a load is put on it? When I say it will not stay engaged, It goes in, and acts okay, until you get into the mud(even a slippery road) It starts to pop...... sounds kinda like a ratcheting sound.......... If we cannot fix it, Its going to be auctioned off..........(when I say we, It is a Mine vehicle).... It will do it on a flat road that a water truck has recently watered......
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 28th 2009, 8:49 pm

is the shifter accually moving out of 4wd or is it just doing it thought the transfer case?
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 28th 2009, 10:32 pm

The transfer case is staying engaged..... Its the front differential that is not staying locked in...... It has had 5 new actuators put in....... A side note, The 2 dealers we took it to, both asked us not to bring it back, cause they have both had it apart 3 times, and they cannot find the problem....
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 29th 2009, 11:57 am

Those trucks have auto locking hubs, so when you mean not staying 'locked in' is it the wheels or the differential?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 29th 2009, 3:22 pm

yeah that could be a good cause.. i would get some warn manual locking hubs for it..
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 30th 2009, 3:13 am

that, im not sure.... but the whole front end has been rebuilt..... im talking every possible part......and, on chevrolets, where they have ifs, would the hub assembly not be included in the front diff???? the cv axles drive the hub assembly.......
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 30th 2009, 12:27 pm

I dont beleive the hubs are considered part of the front differential. I know you can replace and rebuilt the hubs without touching the differential so I am leaning towards no...
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 30th 2009, 2:32 pm

ive pulled the front end apart, and never found anything but the wheel bearing/hub assembly, which the splines of the cv axle drives...... so unless the cv axles bolt to a hub assembly......... im thinking that the electronic actuator in the front diff is what engages the hubs...... thats why they make the cable actuators that engage the hubs that replace the electronic actuators..... ill have to look in the manual tonight....
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 30th 2009, 2:32 pm

yeah i can give you a definite no... i was under the assumption that is was a solid axle truck... you can still get a set of manual locking hubs for it..
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyOctober 31st 2009, 2:31 pm

When you say every part are you talking about the front carrier as well? When it pops out of 4x4 does it go back in on it's own? Also when they say that Tcase was replaced did they show you the new case vs. the old? Or did they just take the OEM case apart and check the internals? It sounds to me like the syncro on the planetary is bad and that is a part that can easily be overlooked when rebuilding a tcase... The syncro has a clutch disk that when the lever is pulled is engages the clutch in the planetary and locks the tcase in 4x4... If the clutch pad is slipping it will cause the 4x4 to feel like it disengages when really it's the tcase... Now does it do this in 4hi and 4lo or is it prejudice to one or the other?

Sorry I can't be of more help this is just like a problem I recently encountered when rebuilding a friends NP208 and thought I'd share my findings.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyNovember 1st 2009, 12:44 am

When I say everything is new in the front differential, Its EVERYTHING.......... and transfercase is brand new as well. they tried to rebuild it Twice, and when it wasnt staying in, they ordered a new Tcase for us.......... And yeah, When it "pops" out of 4 wheel, theres a loud clunk, that is felt, and heard, and then when you let off the gas, It reengages and then will do it again....
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyNovember 1st 2009, 12:48 am

Well, Here's the verdict....... Its being sold At auction to the highest bidder( its a company auction to employees)....... No one wants it due to the 4x4 not working, and its a pain..... Im thinking where it has a brand new trans, and transfercase, and the 6.0 is running good, I may go find me a solid front axle, and make myself a 2005 K2500 with a solid axle......... Im thinking I can walk away with this truck for about 1200 dollars or so, and everything works really well under it(it should, its all brand new)..........
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyNovember 1st 2009, 10:05 am

well there you go... then once you solid axle it sell it back to you company for 10,000 and you would have a pretty nice paycheck.. lol
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyNovember 1st 2009, 11:23 am

so, a thought came to me last night... the front diff housing was cracked, they sent it to a shop downtown, and the shop found the gears messed up..... they replaced the front and didnt touch the rears.. now, if the idiots at the shop(the cheapest, not just price) put the wrong gear ratio in the front, would it not be a clunking noise and feel?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged EmptyNovember 1st 2009, 12:20 pm

batty1214 wrote:
so, a thought came to me last night... the front diff housing was cracked, they sent it to a shop downtown, and the shop found the gears messed up..... they replaced the front and didnt touch the rears.. now, if the idiots at the shop(the cheapest, not just price) put the wrong gear ratio in the front, would it not be a clunking noise and feel?

That would do it. The clunk would be the hubs slipping to allow the tires to match speed. Does make sense...

Only one way to find out, pull the differential cover and start counting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front differential not staying engaged   Front differential not staying engaged Empty

Back to top Go down

Front differential not staying engaged
Page 1 of 1