Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

97 GMC sierra random misfire help

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
1969starcraft
1969starcraft

97 GMC sierra random misfire help Empty
PostSubject: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 9:38 pm

Hi i got my truck a while ago and it had a misfire so i got it checked and the #6 cylinder was dead. I put a new injector in myself and cleaned the rest with brake cleaner. Then it started with a random misfire so i put in a new cap, rotar, and wires. It just pops a little when its just about to shift but thats all. Does anyone know what this could be. I also have no catallatic converter or mufflers so this might have something to do with it but im not sure. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Back to top Go down
1969starcraft
1969starcraft

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 9:50 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 9:54 pm

what motor do you have in your truck. if its the stock motor reguardless then you need a cat and some kind of muffler or your just gonna get floating lifters and sooner or later its gonna be bad.. your truck needs the backpressure a cat and muffler provide.. even if its free flow cats and a flowmaster..
Back to top Go down
1969starcraft
1969starcraft

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 9:57 pm

I have the 5.7 vortec and im going to get a muffler soon.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 9:58 pm

Any check engine light? Codes pulled?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 10:00 pm

You said you replaced the cap, rotar, and wires, how about the plugs?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 10:03 pm

i wouldnt put it off much longer.. if thats your truck in your avatar then it looks like a nice truck and i would hate to see it hurt.. the vortec motors especially need the backpressure... they are so delicate that any bad sensor will cause them to go awnry on you.. i have a 4.3 vortec in my jimmy and have already been warned about what exhuast i put on it with the supercharger.. i have to get a borla system off made for your engine because of the muffler size and the amount of backpressure it needs to keep it in the safe power level
Back to top Go down
1969starcraft
1969starcraft

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help EmptyOctober 1st 2009, 10:10 pm

yah thats the one and i just put it away for the winter today. Im looking at a flowmaster super 44 right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 97 GMC sierra random misfire help   97 GMC sierra random misfire help Empty

Back to top Go down

97 GMC sierra random misfire help
Page 1 of 1