Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! Empty
PostSubject: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 12th 2009, 12:10 pm

Sweet!

Quote :
GM's next-generation heavy-duty Duramax diesel V-8 won't just burn cleaner to meet tough new emissions standards for 2010; it will also burn greener — fuel that is. The so-called LML Duramax will be certified to run on biodiesel blends of up to B20, which is 80 percent ultra-low-sulfur diesel and 20 percent biodiesel, in GM's 2011 model year 2500 and 3500 Silverado and Sierra pickups.

The move finally matches the B20 capability of the current 2007-09 Cummins 6.7-liter inline-six that powers the Dodge Ram HD lineup. The 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 was the only pickup in our last Heavy Duty Shootout that was able to burn B20. B20 is available at many truck stops today, but the current 2007-10 LMM Duramax and Ford's 2008-10 6.4-liter Power Stroke V-8 are only approved for B5 biodiesel.
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 12th 2009, 9:45 pm

The LMM doesn't really care for B5 either, it still seeps a bit. There was a thread elsewhere about it. I avoid it like the plague right now. B5 or B20 is not as efficient but I do wish more of the older trucks could run B100. It tends to eat fuel lines on some trucks.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 12th 2009, 10:41 pm

You know, you guys are gonna force me to go to school.... LMAO....
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 12th 2009, 11:22 pm

BombDocDiesel wrote:
The LMM doesn't really care for B5 either, it still seeps a bit. There was a thread elsewhere about it. I avoid it like the plague right now. B5 or B20 is not as efficient but I do wish more of the older trucks could run B100. It tends to eat fuel lines on some trucks.

I've heard good and bad about it with Common rail engines, but at least this means you can run it and keep your warranty. Its the methanol they use to process it that destroys natural rubber. On my 85' all the lines where converted to synthetics so I can run it in the 6.2L with no problems. In my LB7, no thanks.

Have you tried it (B5) in your LMM? Results? Impressions?

Junior3382 wrote:
You know, you guys are gonna force me to go to school.... LMAO....

Get to it! And while your there trade in your gas sucker for a Powerstroke! LMAO.... J/K bud!
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 13th 2009, 12:57 am

I just read on another forum that any biodiesel can cause problems on the LMM. The late cycle injection for regens is where the problem lies. That biodiesel doesn't completely burn and gets past the rings and causes problems. The OP said he noticed an increase in oil volume. I'm not risking it. My Amsoil is pricey and I like 15K OCI.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 13th 2009, 12:59 am

Makes sense. Bio doesnt burn as hot as diesel.

OCI?
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 13th 2009, 10:33 pm

OCI is Oil Change Interval. I should have my lab report back in a week or so. I sent in fresh oil, out of the bottle and a 7,500 mile sample. I'll send in again at 15K and change the oil.

I also got worse mileage in my '05 LLY if I ran the B20 some places sell.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 14th 2009, 12:06 am

Oh ok. When you get the results, post them. I would love to see them.

Worse mileage? Do you know why? I was under the impression Bio and regular had close BTU contents. Or is it the burn rate?
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 14th 2009, 12:11 am

I believe the BTU difference is about the same as my loss in mileage; 10%.

Hyperlink at the end of the quote.

About our campaign issue
2007.5 and newer light duty diesel vehicles are not biodiesel compatible! Problems have occurred in these vehicles using biodiesel in any blend, from B5 to B100. This is shocking news for everyone involved in the biodiesel community, including producers, retailers and their customers, city fleets that use biodiesel, and all diesel drivers in cities that have B5 or B20 mandates. If not addressed, new vehicle incompatibility will increasingly cripple the viability of biodiesel as a cleaner-burning and renewable diesel fuel alternative.

How did this happen?
New and more rigorous emissions standards from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources (CARB) require the incorporation of a diesel particulate filter (DPF) to trap emissions. The issue of incompatibility arises not from the DPF, but rather from the injection process used to create an exothermic reaction which thereby burns off the soot from the combustion cycle. The resulting ash is then caught in the DPF.

The majority of original engine manufacturers (OEMs) are using a "late post injection" process, in which a small amount of fuel is injected directly into the cylinder post-combustion. Because biodiesel has a higher flashpoint than petroleum based diesel, it does not always fully vaporize during this process, and some droplets can remain in the cylinder in liquid form. That unburned fuel adheres to the cylinder walls and makes its way past the piston rings into the crankcase, causing engine oil dilution.

A small amount of engine oil dilution does not destroy an engine right away-- especially in the case of biodiesel, which is a much better lubricant than petroleum diesel. However, if too much contamination accumulates in the oil, the crankcase can become overfilled, causing catastrophic engine damage. Mild oil dilution may also lead to long-term engine wear, although this has not been fully tested yet.

Click here for a more in-depth discussion of this problem, including a list of references.

What can be done to fix this problem?
The good news is: there are other ways to use DPFs without risk of engine oil dilution! Instead of post-combustion injection into the cylinders, the OEMs should be using an exhaust stream injection process to regenerate the DPF. Exhaust stream injection involves injecting fuel downstream of the combustion chamber, between the engine and the exhaust. This is what Caterpillar is doing in their heavy duty equipment.

Most OEMs (including Volkswagen, Ford, GM, and Dodge) are currently using biodiesel-incompatible technology, and they won't change that without public pressure. That is why SaveBiodiesel.org has launched this campaign, to tell the OEMs that new diesel vehicle emissions systems must be compatible with biodiesel, and to ask the EPA and CARB to require it. Please sign our petition, and then learn about other ways to get involved!

If you want to use biodiesel in a 2007 or newer vehicle, please visit our frequently asked questions page. While we do not necessarily recommend it, there are some ways to minimize your risk and/or inhibit the late post injection process.

http://savebiodiesel.org/issue.html

and

Subject: Engine Oil Crankcase Sludge.... released oct 14 2008

Models: 2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2003-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak

2006-2009 Chevrolet Express

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2003-2009 GMC Topkick

2006-2009 GMC Savana

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

Equipped with the 6.6 Duramax Diesel Engine RPO codes LB7 LBZ LLY or LMM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s).

Condition/Concern:
A dealer may encounter a customer concern of engine noise, low oil pressure, or abnormal oil sludge build up in the crankcase.

Certain blends of Bio-fuel may induce excessive amounts of sludge in the crankcase of the engine.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete the current SI diagnostic for any trouble codes or symptoms found. If an excessive amount of sludge is found in the crankcase the vehicle may be running a high percentage of Bio-fuel. Check oil change records and verify proper oil change intervals are being followed.

Use the Duramax Diesel Owners Manual Supplement for guidelines on proper fuel usage. At this time (unless directed differently by owners manual) only fuels containing up to 5% biodiesel (B5) are acceptable for use in these vehicles.

The National Biodiesel Board website (www.biodiesel.org) can be accessed and has important information about specifications and guidelines for biofuel usage.

Biofuel blends higher than B20 may cause unburned fuel to enter the crankcase past the piston rings. Over time this may cause engine oil sludge problems.

If a dealer does encounter an engine with excessive sludge, and oil change intervals are being followed, ask the customer about the type of fuel is being used. If fuel with higher then owners manual specification is being used, advise the customer the sludge was caused by improper fuel.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3016527&postcount=17

Thread that started it on DP. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322922&highlight=biodiesel
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! EmptyAugust 14th 2009, 5:46 pm

Wow! Ok, no biodiesel in my Duramax.

Thanks for the info Josh!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!   Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable! Empty

Back to top Go down

Next Gen Duramax to be B20 capable!
Page 1 of 1