Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

A letter to hitch hikers around the world.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

A letter to hitch hikers around the world. Empty
PostSubject: A letter to hitch hikers around the world.   A letter to hitch hikers around the world. EmptyDecember 22nd 2010, 10:15 pm

Hello. I would like to say that I am sorry that you are having to walk to your destination. I know that times are tough and even though the cost of vehicles are down, you still need money to get that car you desperately need. Luckily for you, the hitch hiker, there are always roads to take you to your destination and those roads carry drivers that are fortunate enough to own vehicles that may or may not pick you up.

I have a few guidelines that I would like to bring up with you, as I think that lately there has been an explosion of bad hitch hiking manners. Write these down, print them out, or at least commit them to memory if you happen to find me out on these lonely highways.

#1) when you are walking on the wrong side of that white line that seems to be on the whole stretch of highway, be warned that people ARE going to slow down to allow more room for you, as well as safety for themselves and other drivers. This rule applies ESPECIALLY when there is oncoming traffic. A slowing vehicle does NOT mean that the person is going to pick you up.

#2) If the driver slowing down gives you the shake of the head saying "No, I am not giving you a ride" don't get pissed off and flip them off and yell at them. Remember, we have lives too. I only slowed down so I didn't leave a Cooper Discoverer M+S tread pattern on your back while I also tried to dodge traffic, since you just HAD to walk halfway in the lane. You are lucky that I was in a hurry, because I normally don't take getting flipped off too kindly, especially when I am not in the wrong and even more especially from a total stranger.

#3) Just because you choose the lifestyle of the wayward wanderer does not mean that bathroom facilities should not be used. A little mouth wash and some soap goes a LONG way. If you want a ride for more then a mile or two, you would be doing yourself a favor by at least smelling like you've actually changed your clothes since you left your actual residence.

#4) Now, don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy a nice cold beer or a well mixed drink (preferably stirred, not shaken) but I don't drink while I am driving, nor do I really like people drinking in my truck. It would be greatly appreciated if you'd at least put the stopper or cap on or in the bottle before entering my vehicle. Not only do I not want you to drink it, but I also don't want you to spill it. My truck already smells like it's used for work (because it is), I don't need to attract a police officers attention if I ever do get pulled over.

#5) Even if you do offer me money, I am not driving you to your cousin's girlfriend's brother's friends house. I will take you as far as the road that I next turn on, and then no farther. In fact, I will take you to the road before the one I live on, as I don't even want you to know the location of my house. The last thing I need is to be raped by a meth head.

#6) Don't be offended if I ask that you empty your pockets before entering my vehicle. I do not want to get stabbed, shot, or mugged so there will be no funny business. I know that I am overweight and a little unkempt, but I have taken self defense classes and do know some ju-jitsu, so even if I do get shot, I will at least be trying to break your arm before I bleed out, if not putting you to sleep. Any weapons or narcotics (alcohol is alright, see point #4) will be an immediate termination of the ride transaction.

And finally, #7) If you have a pet, you are not getting picked up. Don't get me wrong, I am an animal person, I even let my dogs ride in the truck with me (if you look in my back seat, you will even see their hair), which is the #1 reason your dog/cat/lizard (I swear, one hitchhiker I almost gave a ride to had a lizard with him) will not be riding in my truck. I don't need my dogs to be put out with me for allowing another pet into their sector, and I definitely don't want your pet or mine to start marking their territory in MY truck.

If you ever see me stop for you, please at least follow these guidelines. I don't care if you are weird and talk about your crazy trip you are on. That's cool with me. Hey, and if I do pick you up, you should feel proud, because it doesn't happen often.

Happy hitching!
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: A letter to hitch hikers around the world.   A letter to hitch hikers around the world. EmptyDecember 23rd 2010, 12:17 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: A letter to hitch hikers around the world.   A letter to hitch hikers around the world. EmptyDecember 23rd 2010, 1:17 am

I DONT SEE HITCHIKERS ANYMORE.. THERE WAS A STRING OF MURDERS AND THE PERSON WAS APPERENTLY TARGETING THE RARE HITCHIKER AROUND MY AREA.. IT WOUND UP BEING A CRAZY WOMAN THAT GOT RAPED BY ONE AND DECIDED THEY SHOULD ALL DIE BUT WHO AM I TO JUDGE.. LOL.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: A letter to hitch hikers around the world.   A letter to hitch hikers around the world. EmptyDecember 23rd 2010, 12:02 pm

I see them every once in a while. Mostly its drunk people who are lost and walking around aimlessly. Laughing

If any of you have ever been through Route 95 in CT, every few miles they have huge signs that say; 'DO NOT PICK UP HITCHHIKERS' and there is a good reason for that. All 4 of the federal prisons in CT are on or near Route 95.

Word to the wise, be careful.

Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: A letter to hitch hikers around the world.   A letter to hitch hikers around the world. EmptyDecember 23rd 2010, 7:08 pm

I've only given a ride to one hitch hiker. He was dressed in army camo with his army duffel on his back. There was no way I wasn't going to give him a ride. He ended up needing a ride to Whitefish, which was kind of out of my way, but I didn't care, lol. He just got home from some station in Florida or something, I can't remember where, and he was just visiting family before he had to go back.

I've almost picked up quite a few others, but none of them followed the simple guidelines stated above.
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: A letter to hitch hikers around the world.   A letter to hitch hikers around the world. EmptyDecember 25th 2010, 10:31 pm

i try to pick em up especially since i drive from waco to corsicana (50-ish miles) so i can at least take them to wherever im goin. i dont worry bout em cause theres a .380 under the center console aimed at their hip/leg.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A letter to hitch hikers around the world.   A letter to hitch hikers around the world. Empty

Back to top Go down

A letter to hitch hikers around the world.
Page 1 of 1