Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Unfortunate New Project

Go down 
+2
merlin5577
batty1214
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

Unfortunate New Project Empty
PostSubject: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 2:10 pm

So, I have inherited a new project truck.Sad ...... Its a 1987 dodge, d50.... Its got the 4 cylinder, and it doesn't run...... I got it from a friend(apprentice in trouble making), who recently passed away...... He was 15, and he had big dreams for the truck..........Now, Its mine, and Im doing a remberance build, and doing it the way he wanted it.
So,
What I am needing to know, Is what v8 that dodge built is going to push 33 inch tires through some serious mud?
Im needing some suggestions on Engine, Transmission(automatic), and transfercase Ideas... I know nothing about Dodge, and im needing some help with this one.......
Its going to be getting solid front and rear axles, I have 2 dana 44 from a jeep wagoneer...... Other than that, Im going to be gathering parts, and starting on this soon....... I'll get pictures of the truck and put them up on here as soon as the funeral and everything is done and past.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 3:32 pm

Do you want to keep it all dodge? If not a built 350/350 combo would be a nice upgrade. Then a NP208 transfer case with your dana axles would be awesome!
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 4:16 pm

Ive thought about the chevy drivetrain..... Im almost wondering about using my 4.3 v6 out of the s10(since a mouse decided to junk my wiring harness) and a 700r4 combo........ but I kinda want the v8 due to his plans..... he was a dodge kid, and Im wanting to build this to his specs..... but I have alot of chevy parts, and I may go that way.....
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 4:54 pm

If you already have them, then I would go that way.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 9:25 pm

Keep it dodge, especially if it is a momorial. The mid - 80's 318's were bullet proof. With a strong ignition system and opened exhaust it will tunr 38's... so 33's are more then doable. Stick with the 4 speed auto older then 1987 for durability. The 1 tons had a full dana drive system and also bullet proof, and probably a good choice..... of course this is just my .02 cents. There is nothing wrong with the D44's, but out of a jeep may be a bit narrow for the D50.

If you want to go GM that is your call... but I think it would be more of a tribute to maintain the mopar brand.

here is a question.... What did your friend want to do? Did he want to cross brands? Or did he dream of the 318 or 363 from another dodge ram? If this is going to be built in rememberance of your friend, wouldn't you want it to end up how he wanted it? Again, just my .02 cents. take it for what it is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 9:33 pm

He was a dodge guy, and he wanted a dodge drive train but was looking into the brand crossing as I and some other friends all have chevy stuff...... but he really liked the dodges..... and when I say he had a d50, Im talking the small truck d 50...... similar to the mitsubishi mighty max.... thats why I was thinking the wagoneer d44's
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 10:11 pm

I was thinking the first gen d50 then... sorry. You are talking the ramcharger then? like this?
Unfortunate New Project 32140610

either way, my only line of reasoning was make it what HE wanted... to a degree.... but its your call
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 10:22 pm

If your going to stay all Dodge, go all out. 440 BB, 727 Torqueflite trans, make it a beast!
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 10:50 pm

yes,i would love to go 440bb, 427torqueflite, but how often do you find them lying around in someones field? I found a 1984 dodge 150, with a fulltime? four wheel drive, automatic, and 318 that runs, in a guys field for 50 bucks.... engine runs, and the truck kinda sort drives........ the front end is shot, and the rear end squeals like a stuck pig..... the transmission fluid is a great nice clean red color, as it only has about 7800 miles on it, and the 318 starts, and needs a tuneup....... the body on the truck is falling off....... rusted out floor, like lift the carpet, and play flinstones typr of thing...... I have found a couple of trucks for donor, I just don't know anything about the older dodge vehicles, as far as good motors, good trannies, that will handle the nasty sticky clay mud that we have around here......
and a nother stickler, Its a 2 wheel drive truck..... thats why the build meant so much to him...... It was supposed to be a learning experience, and I was going to help him through it....... But, I guess, I'll be doing the work, so he can ride shotgun........
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 11:07 pm

Sounds like a good start. If the 318 is sound, stick with it. They can be made to preform excellent too.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 22nd 2009, 11:31 pm

Full time is good for mud, no lockin in hubs!
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyAugust 23rd 2009, 1:55 am

depending on what tires you're going to use, jeep rears may not be a good idea.. yota rears may be a better option if you're going to run something with some mean tread like TSL's or boggers.. OR, if the front driveshaft is on the driver side, D44 and 9" out of a 66-77 bronco will work nicely

as for motor, a nice 340 or 360 would push that truck through the mud just as well as a 440.. small blocks are better for high RPM's, big blocks are better for low end torque
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:24 pm

well, i had to throw the old d 50 on the back burner....... and its a good thing..... i went and spent a day with her family, and we got talking about the old truck, and things he had dreamt of for it......... he was a hard core big truck lover..... petes and kenworths... his dad drove for england for 22 years, and he went and rode with him every where he went...... in talking to the family, sister, mom, dad, uncles, i found out that he had wanted to drop a diesel in it, with stacks, install a tag axle,replace the bed with full rear fenders, and make the front end look like an older pete.......... well, his dad and uncle told him it was a stupid idea, it wasnt doable, and to forget about it........ he had pictures of the thing drawn up, you know, the high school class doodles....... but it got me thinking....... 4bt cummins turbo, cut and narrowed grill, hood and fenders, with round over the tire fenders put in place, 5 inch stacks running right on the back of the cab, pull the bed, add a tag axle
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:25 pm

4BT FTW!!!! Go for it Batty!
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:28 pm

throw a transfercase in, so i can have 2 ranges, the full rear fenders, and a in memory of hitch cover mounted on the bed....... i know its gonna be a pain in the butt, but, i figure, he was like the little brother i never got, what the hell, for him, itll be worth it.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:29 pm

No doubt it will be a lot of work, but it will be a true one of car and totally worth it.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:32 pm

heck, if im gonna do all that, i may as well build a 10 foot lowboy to haul my s10 mud truck around behind it
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:33 pm

Now your talking..... how about dual rear wheels and 19.5inch wheels?
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:39 pm

i was thinking about some 18 inch dually rims, and both rear axles running duals.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:46 pm

im considering a nv4500tranny... do you think a nv3500 would hold up to a 4bt? or is the 4500 gonna be nessicary?
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:52 pm

excuse me for being completely diesel illiterate, but what the hell is a 4bt? and my god, if you pull it off and get it done how he wanted it, it'll be 1 weird little truck lol
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 20th 2009, 11:58 pm

a 4bt is a 4 cylinder cummins turbo diesel..... it puts out anywhere from 105 - 130 horsepower..... im thinking it will be really cool if it is done correctly
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 21st 2009, 12:01 am

oh, ok lol.. if it was a bigger motor, the d50 frame would never be able to take the torque.. they're not very strong lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 21st 2009, 11:09 am

The 4BT is the little sister of the 6BT which was found in Dodge Ram pickups until the early 2000s when then went to the ISB engine code.

Go with the NV4500, way more torqe handling capability.
Back to top Go down
Trucker_Eric
Valued Member
Valued Member
Trucker_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project EmptyDecember 21st 2009, 12:11 pm

sorry for your loss, 15 is so young. but yeah, those dodges rock, i would put a 4bt in it and a lift.

Unfortunate New Project 129_0609_04_z+1984_dodge_d50+passenger_side_view
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unfortunate New Project   Unfortunate New Project Empty

Back to top Go down

Unfortunate New Project
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next