Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Oh the joy of owning a diesel...

Go down 
+6
79_bronco
doc_auto
Jared Olson for SO IL
johnboggs21
007jimmy
merlin5577
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyMay 18th 2010, 3:21 am

haha yup i know all bout hot oil. haha them diesels comin in the stealership from miles away makes fer some pretty hot oil.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyMay 18th 2010, 5:28 am

hahaha, yep it burns like H if you are not quick at pulling that plug and your hand out of the way, but it sure flows good and you know you are getting it all.
Another step I save, many people will wipe off the surface where the oil filter seal seats. Then dab new oil on the seal. I don't. I do not wipe the old oil off which saves time, and also do not waste time putting new oil on the filter seal. If you don't wipe it off, there is enough oil there to seat your filter seal without having to put oil on the new filter seal. And, if that old oil is between the block and the seal, its not getting into your engine. Its only left there to lube the seal so you will be able to get the filter off next time you change it. Simply spin the filter off, spin the new one on.
Back to top Go down
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyMay 18th 2010, 11:36 am

I'm 6'2 and recently dropped to 195 lbs (I lost more then I ment to lol) I have to jack the brick up to do anything underneath. The oil filter you can get to from under the hood or underneath.

Last edited by stealthdawg09 on May 18th 2010, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyMay 18th 2010, 1:24 pm

62? haha 6'2". that took me a second
Back to top Go down
stealthdawg09
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyMay 18th 2010, 1:35 pm

oppss it was a typo. I meant 6'2
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyOctober 10th 2010, 2:29 pm

And the problems continue. Autozone no longer stocks the oil filters for my truck... What. The. fudge...

Looks like i'm back to ordering stuff online.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyOctober 11th 2010, 10:27 am

Geeze bud... Looks like your town / community isn't diesel friendly. Sounds like your having a beach of a time finding supplies for your rig.
Question: you've been a diesel guy long then me. What are you using for engine oil and filter?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyOctober 11th 2010, 12:12 pm

Thats the truth! I need to go back to Easton where everything was Diesel! Laughing

My preferred setup is ACDelco fuel filter, Allison Trans filter, and K&N oil filter. That being said, as I am finding out, good luck finding those in the local stores. So, its off to ordering them online. In a pinch though the local Napa does stock (Wix/Napa Gold) filters for my Duramax so I have used them before, but they're not my preferred.

I love Royal Purple's oils, but again, good luck to me finding them. That leaves me to either order them online, or a long drive. If I order them online, you pay more because of the 'hazardous' shipping. So... I've been using Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (in both trucks) with good results.

In a perfect world, I'd use only K&N filters and Royal Purple oils, but this is not a perfect world.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyOctober 12th 2010, 4:09 pm

I run nothing but Rotella T 15W-40 in my diesel
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyOctober 12th 2010, 5:29 pm

johnboggs21 wrote:
I run nothing but Rotella T 15W-40 in my diesel

The 15W-40 is a good oil. I used that in my old 6.2L diesel & we've used it in a lot of school trucks & tractors, but... its only available in conventional, so I have to pass on it. I've been spoiled by my 10K mile oil change intervals. Laughing
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2010, 10:35 am

Well in a couple of months I'm gonna start shopping around North Bay, Ont for supplies cause I have one more service available to me at the dealership, then I'm doing my own service and repairs from now on.
I've got one more free service. That's the only reason I'm using the dealership LOL

Before I pull away from the dealership after getting work done, I open the hood and check the engine compartment just to make sure all the caps and plugs are put back and that everything is where it belongs... You know what I mean..

It's a little "old man" of me and the big rig "truck driver" of me but... I just want to make sure everything is cool before I go out on the road. I see them watching me sometimes while I'm doing it.
One time, I was checking things over, I found a wrench.
I knew the Service manager was watching me while I was checking my truck over. So I picked up the wrench and held it in the air. He came rushing over and apologized like crazy.

Any time I find something wrong, I call them on it. Even when they say to me.. Your truck is almost done, You'll have it back in five minutes. And it doesn't come out in a half an hour? I take it up with the manager. That's why I have a free service coming to me.
If I wasn't spending so much freakin money there I would probably let some of this stuff slide.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2010, 1:46 pm

Well I cant argue with free. Laughing

But I understand what you're saying Glenn.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh the joy of owning a diesel...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2