Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

i made out like a bandit today......

Go down 
+2
007jimmy
johnboggs21
6 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

i made out like a bandit today...... Empty
PostSubject: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 2:50 pm

I managed to get 55 gallons of clear diesel FREE, some heavy duty semi truck battery cables FREE, a pyro FREE, the electrical connection that goes btwn the truck and trailer FREE, one heavy duty push button for a starter FREE, and a smaller push button for my manual glow plugs FREE.

i made off with a couple hundred dollars of stuff at least.....
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 3:24 pm

sounds like you robbed a diesel junkyard.. lol..
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 3:26 pm

Say 3 hayl marries and your forgiven. LOL

Where you steal all that? And what ya gonna do with now?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 5:49 pm

Clear diesel? Isnt all diesel colored? Congrats on the score John.
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 6:40 pm

yeah road diesel is blue, and farm(tax free) is red. dont get caught with red in your tank.

good find! goin to a pick n pull next week.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 6:55 pm

Around me Diesel is green, like Mountain dew. Off road diesel and home heating oil are both red.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 8:29 pm

by clear i mean not red lol. Tech center was scrappin the old semi tomorrow morning so they said take whatever ya want. I woulda got a lot more stuff, but everyone else was out there pickin away at it lol

I definitly got the most valuable stuff lol
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 9:18 pm

get me the air horns? or is that where yours came from lol
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 9:56 pm

nah, but i got 1 more horn offa it lol
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 10th 2010, 10:03 pm

Lucky dog !!! That's what ya call being at the right place at the right time
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 11th 2010, 12:12 am

merlin5577 wrote:
Around me Diesel is green, like Mountain dew. Off road diesel and home heating oil are both red.

it might be here. i honestly can't remember for sure. its been a while since i used diesel. back to topic...

the last time my school did that i just needed a dang door handle. both were gone before i got to it 30 mins after green light. and i was the 3rd person.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 2:44 pm

i got to thinkin yesterday, i wish i woulda grabbed the mirrors.......

So heres a thought guys. i was thinkin about swappin in those heavier cables i got off the semi onto my truck. Then i thought, hell y not just double up? Thatd really get some juice flowin to that starter. Reckon that would work?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 3:15 pm

accually it would put less juice into the starter cause with thicker wire there is more resistance.. typically 2-4 guage wire is perfect for your everyday car and truck.. the only benifit to thicker wire is that it doesnt heat up as much.. so unless your having a problem with melting the wire on your truck then i would keep it just the way it is..
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 4:23 pm

007jimmy wrote:
accually it would put less juice into the starter cause with thicker wire there is more resistance.. typically 2-4 guage wire is perfect for your everyday car and truck.. the only benifit to thicker wire is that it doesnt heat up as much.. so unless your having a problem with melting the wire on your truck then i would keep it just the way it is..

Hmm this aint makin no sense to me. Im pretty sure the BIGGER the wire the less the resistance. If their was more resistance in a bigger wire it would heat up more than a little one. thats why they dont use tiny little wires for battery cables right? Besides that I know ive read on FTE in a few places that upgrading the battery cables to a bigger size helped crank the motor over faster.........

but ur the professional mechanic, i guess you would know what your talkin about.......unless you been drinkin and postin again lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 4:54 pm

I would have thought, the larger the wire?
The less resistance, The less resistance? The less heat.

If the wire is too small? You will get More resistance = a wire that will heat up.
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 5:42 pm

ya but your still puttin out the same voltage right?
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 7:47 pm

im in electrical right now and im tryin to remember... higher guage, higher resistance. it'll use up more. but like jared said, 12 volts is 12 volts. but hey i could have it wrong. i have been drinkin. haha. everyone have a good night.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 9:36 pm

That's true.. Higher the gauge the higher the resistance.
Keep in mind.. When we say Higher Gauge, it means higher the gauge number.
The larger (higher) the number, the smaller the wire.
The smaller the wire... well you know. The more the resistance.

Think of it like a garden hose.
If you choke the hose = less water
So if the wire is smaller = more resistance Less cranking power.

HUGE hose the flow becomes a trickle. = your amps stay the same but your voltage becomes lost in the LARGE wire. correct me if I'm wrong.. I think it's the DCV drop in an over sized wire.
Similar to boosting your neighbors car from your driveway
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 12th 2010, 10:29 pm

I think we are confusing amps and volts. Larger wires are used to be to handle the higher amperage of multiple batteries. Remember, most OTR tractors have 4 (or more) batteries hooked together in parallel. The voltage remains the same (12.6) but the amperage (which is what makes the starter turn) will double, triple, etc.. The larger wiring (smaller guage) has more and larger strands inside, these strands create a lot more surface area then a single wire. Since electrons can only move along an axis, not through it, they have a lot more ground to cover.

To answer your question John, like Joe said, the heavier guage wiring will flow less current (amperage). The way you can get around this is to install heavier duty batteries, or add more batteries.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 13th 2010, 12:58 am

lol.. i was gonna say i know im right on this one but after reading the first or second post i was starting to wonder myself.. lol
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... EmptyMarch 13th 2010, 8:43 am

Sorry.. I confused myself voltage stayed the same. It carries more amperage.
sorry guys
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i made out like a bandit today......   i made out like a bandit today...... Empty

Back to top Go down

i made out like a bandit today......
Page 1 of 1