Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Rigging individual rear brakes...

Go down 
+3
batty1214
merlin5577
johnboggs21
7 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

Rigging individual rear brakes... Empty
PostSubject: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 5th 2009, 7:47 pm

I got to thinking today about trying to rig up individual rear brakes on my truck, much like a tractors. This way when one wheel spins i can hit the brake for that one and get power to the other wheel and hopefully get the truck moving. I figure I could make them mechanically operated by 2 levers in the cab, one for each wheel. Anyone ever attempt this before? Advice and comments are welcome. I figure its the best solution i have at the moment. I cant afford to get a locker for the rearend, or buy a 4wd truck, soooo I gotta make what ive got work.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 5th 2009, 7:55 pm

Rock crawlers have done that trick for years, so it is doable. But honestly, with all the time, effort and money your going to spend, you'd be better off with a locker and a set of snow tires. However, if your set on doing this, I would suggest getting yourself a clutch & brake pedal combo, and rig one pedal for the left, one for the right off a seperate brake master cylinder. Yes, you will now have 5 pedals, but that would be the 'easiest' way.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 5th 2009, 9:34 pm

You should be able to pick up a rearend for your truck that has a limited slip for as much as your going to spend rigging the brakes up......... Im not sure what Rear end you have in your ford, but for the one in the ranch one ton, we were only into it about 350$........ and its easier than running all the other for the independant brakes...... however, as Merlin said, rockcrawlers have been doing this for years, and im sure you could do it..... Its just how much money are your willing to throw at this truck, and how long do you want before your system works.......
You may be able to do something with the emergency brakes, as they run off cables, so you could jimmy rig up something......... But, you'll be replacing brakes alot more often
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 5th 2009, 11:32 pm

i say use your e-brake setup if you wanted to do anything like that.. all you got to do is mount 2 lever style handles and then run some cables to the back.. sounds simple enough to accomplish.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 5th 2009, 11:37 pm

Get a Posi 9in from a junkyard.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 6th 2009, 1:28 am

the rearend in mine is a 10.25 sterling.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 6th 2009, 9:14 pm

all i should have to do is extend these two cables up underneath the cab and add a couple levers or pedals to work the individual brakes. Correct me if im wrong. Simple, right?

Rigging individual rear brakes... Ebrakecable2

Rigging individual rear brakes... Ebrakecable
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 6th 2009, 10:04 pm

Thats your parking brake, so it wouldnt work i dont think.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 6th 2009, 10:29 pm

that would work. yes its your parking brake but im pretty sure your truck still have drum brakes in it so eather way they work the same..
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 7th 2009, 9:44 am

It'll cost alittle bit more but I have 2 words for you... Line Locks! As stated before rock crawlers have been doing it for years however they have 2 methods. 1 is line locks they are electrical brake valves... Master cylinder line goes in one side drum line comes out the other the wires are run to a toggle switch in your cab so you'd have to toggle switches flip on brake pressure is cut off to one wheel making only the other engage and vise versa. The other is the cutting brake which is basically a glorified parking brake which is basically what you where planning on doing in the first place... Which one is easier probably the line locks just for ease of installation and operation however it'll cost more now if you use the existing cable setup yeah it might be cheaper but you have to make sure that when you run the cables that they are as strait as possible otherwise you won't be able to fully engage your brakes when you need them unless you do a rope and pulley system. Either way you decide to go it's gonna take a couple hours to do and probably run ya some coin to do it. It may be cheaper then a locker for that 10.25! Good luck
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 8th 2009, 3:25 am

76silverado wrote:

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT 1!!! talk about rare!
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 8th 2009, 10:31 am

79_bronco wrote:
76silverado wrote:

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT 1!!! talk about rare!

I agree most of you ford 9in rearends are already snagged up and the ones that aren't either have broken cases (yes it's possible I've seen a D60 DRW snap in half like a toothpick) or have the tubes twisted or are gutted! If you can find a junkyard that has a pile of 9" rearends buy all of them clean them spend about 100 bucks in parts on each axle ou know seals and what not turn around and sell them and make a couple grand off them! Alothough you'll be in big competition because recently a company has started building what they call the super 14 bolt! It's a 14 bolt full floater with get this a removable 3rd member and an all chromoly case and fully welded tubes but they run about 2700 for just the case and the tubes and the 3rd you still have to fill it up! I read about a guy who drop 9700 bucks on one before it even when under his buggy!!
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 9th 2009, 2:36 am

no, a factory posi 9in is a rare bird.. very VERY few trucks were equipped with them
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... EmptyDecember 10th 2009, 10:41 am

Very True!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rigging individual rear brakes...   Rigging individual rear brakes... Empty

Back to top Go down

Rigging individual rear brakes...
Page 1 of 1