Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Brakes

Go down 
+2
007jimmy
Truckster
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Truckster

Truckster

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 1:43 am

This past summer as my truck approached 60k I replaced the brakes and all of the rotors. I have far better pedal now and all seems fine except they can squeak/squeal quite a bit, should I have put some kind of lube on the back of the pads perhaps similar to what is used on drum brakes between the backing plate and the shoes?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 6:21 am

the lube may help but you may have glazed them over by not breaking them in properly after the install.. you need to take it easy on a fresh set of pads for the first 100 miles or so.. make gradual stops... not abupt slam on the brakes stops.
Back to top Go down
Truckster

Truckster

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 1:00 pm

Well the squeak/squeal only occurs at walking speeds around the house etc. The new rotors come with a protective coating on them, I did clean them off with brake clean and let them dry before installing them. It doesn't help that the original rotors and the new ones are made in China and use some real poor grade cast, the originals had plenty of material left but were so deterioated I went with new ones.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 1:01 pm

What condition where the old brakes in? 60K is not a lot of miles for the brakes on a GM HD. Mine are factory original with 99K on them. When I did the front bearings a few months back I check the pads and they where still above 50%. I've also heard from a lot of other HD owners that go over 100K on a set of brakes.
Back to top Go down
Truckster

Truckster

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 15th 2009, 12:36 am

The brakes still had a lot of materaial left on the pads and rotors, however, the rotors had atrophied - there was perhaps 1" making contact with the pads (in the center of the rotor) - this 1" area was badly glazed, both the front portion and rear portion where rotted.

It would seem these Chinese rotors seem to be more porus and absorb moisture more easily causing them to rot. Upon going into the auto parts store they told me this was common among the big three and they have seen Ford rotors come in there with as little as 18000 mi. They told me there was a situation called "dealer rot" that is when a vehicle sits to long on the lot and has to have the rotors turned - whether that is true or not I do not know.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 15th 2009, 1:56 pm

Truckster wrote:
The brakes still had a lot of materaial left on the pads and rotors, however, the rotors had atrophied - there was perhaps 1" making contact with the pads (in the center of the rotor) - this 1" area was badly glazed, both the front portion and rear portion where rotted.

It would seem these Chinese rotors seem to be more porus and absorb moisture more easily causing them to rot. Upon going into the auto parts store they told me this was common among the big three and they have seen Ford rotors come in there with as little as 18000 mi. They told me there was a situation called "dealer rot" that is when a vehicle sits to long on the lot and has to have the rotors turned - whether that is true or not I do not know.

Interesting. I had heard the term before but didnt know what it meant.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 15th 2009, 11:24 pm

It's true. Sometimes the tires are even starting to crack.
Back to top Go down
Truckster

Truckster

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 17th 2009, 12:26 am

1993GMCSierra wrote:
It's true. Sometimes the tires are even starting to crack.

I wonder if those are the Chinese tires that they had so much trouble with recently in the news? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 17th 2009, 6:53 am

I couldn't tell you, I didn't look at the brand. It was a Pontiac or Saturn dealership, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 21st 2009, 7:29 pm

Soo did ya try any lube or anything to help with the squeak?
Back to top Go down
Truckster

Truckster

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 23rd 2009, 12:21 am

Not as of yet, I'm just to busy, I'll let it go until spring when the weather is nicer.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 23rd 2009, 10:33 pm

Did you put the shims back in?
Back to top Go down
Truckster

Truckster

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 24th 2009, 1:59 pm

I don't know what shims your refering to, but it was reassembled exactly the way it was before, and no I don't have any additional parts left over.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 24th 2009, 2:16 pm

See #1:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=1092779

1. Forgetting the Shims
Click to enlarge picture

It isn't normal for brakes to be noisy just after they've been worked on. Take your car back to the shop and ask the mechanic to inspect the two tiny pieces of metal, or shims, that adhere to the back of the brake pads. They are the likely culprit.

Have you had your vehicle in a shop recently for brake work and then noticed a little more squeaking than you're used to after driving off? Odds are your mechanic forgot to include two tiny pieces of metal that adhere to the back of your brake pads. While not essential to making your vehicle stop safely, these shims do cut down on the amount of noise generated by minute vibrations in the brake pad. If you think your brakes are louder than they should be, check with the shop. Most garages will take care of the problem at no extra charge and get you back on the road squeak-free in no time.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes EmptyOctober 24th 2009, 4:11 pm

I dont beleive all vehicles, mainly trucks, use shims.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brakes   Brakes Empty

Back to top Go down

Brakes
Page 1 of 1