Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

IDI pulling truck

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyMarch 27th 2011, 11:06 pm

I got to thinking the other day about building an IDI pulling truck that could put the whooping on a new hopped up cummins or dmax. I found a truck for sale that I think would be perfect for the job and thought Id see what you guys think.

The truck is a 1988 Fsuperduty with a 7.3 and a 5 spd. I figure I could buy the truck and rob the 5 spd for my F250 and stick in a T18 4spd. The truck has I believe 5.13 gears with stock size tires. Now just imagine those 5.13s with that T18 in granny low. Now theres some pulling power! The biggest factor, I think, would be actually getting traction to put that power to the ground. I think momentum plays alot into these truck pulls too, which is something that this rig would NOT have a lot of in 1st gear riding the governor. So what do you guys think? Would she do good set up like that or no?
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyMarch 31st 2011, 8:50 pm

the biggest thing with sled pulling is getting the RPM's up and keeping them there while your pulling the sled, most guys who have 12v's have governor spring kits that allow them to wind the engine up to 4000-5000rpm, the thing with an IDI is that they are non turbo, and they use a standadyne DB2 rotary injection pump, and they are tough to get enough fuel... you could maybe make 300rwhp from an IDI if you pushed it hard... maybe 350rwhp with a shot of nitrous, but it sure wouldnt be happy....
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyMarch 31st 2011, 9:24 pm

the DB2 will deliver way more than enough fuel for a N/A IDI, and do good with a Turbo IDI. Theirs also moose pumps and injectors available for extreme performance. The IDI also does pretty good at 4k rpms.

I passed on the truck after I talked to the guy about it. He wanted 5k for it and it definitley was NOT worth that...
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 2nd 2011, 10:30 am

you dont have valve float at 4000rpms?? I know you need to replace the valve springs on most diesels to allow them to spin that fast, I've never heard of this moose pump, how much HP were you figuring you could make with an IDI...I have to admit I dont know a heck of a lot about them
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 2nd 2011, 10:52 am

i don't know much about this either... I'm lurking on the side lines on this thread in hopes to get educated
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 2nd 2011, 7:04 pm

yea theirs a guy on oilburners.com, and FTE that does pump rebuilds and can hop them em up for ya and make injectors to match that power. Theirs also a a guy on OB that sells camshafts for them. Seems to me that with these motors you dont start having issues with valve float til about 4500 rpm. I could be sitting on 250hp with just a turbo and a well tuned engine. Its untelling how much could be made if somebody purpose built an IDI for pulling, but im guessing btwn 300 and 350.

Glenn, I know a fair amount about these motors, I could educate the hell out of ya if you want me to lol. Any questions, just ask away.
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 3rd 2011, 10:48 am

would it make you sad to know that Glenn and I's truck's both make 300rwhp from the factory? with the usual tune i run it sits at about 365rwhp, and its a pretty mild tune, i have one thats 475rwhp, and another yet that sits around 530rwhp, mind you i need a few more mods to get the most from those tunes but its pretty easy to make ridiculous power from these engines
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 3rd 2011, 11:47 am

doesnt bother me a bit. If ya ask me, cast iron and mechanical injection is where its at. Besides, it takes 1 wire for my truck to run, how many does yours need? lol
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 4th 2011, 8:20 am

if IDI is where its at then I dont want to be there Razz

The 12v is where its at with cast iron and mechanical injection, IDI is so 1993..
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 5th 2011, 9:35 pm

there is a guy that made over a 1000 horsepower in a powerstroke, but that was a late 90's, and that was with a whole lot of money. you can do anything if you have the money.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 5th 2011, 9:39 pm

Hypermax supposedly built a 1200 hp IDI back in the late 80s/early 90s, I think I posted a thread about that on here before.

BTW them 12v motors take 4 wires to run IIRC, so still got ya beat there LOL

actually if i could find the manual shutoff for the DB2, mine would run with no wires.

Youll never hear me say that cummins is a bad motor... I do like the 12v motors, but the 24v motors can go to hell lol. Its more the rattle can death traps that they put em in LOL
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 5th 2011, 9:40 pm

BTW, you still didnt tell me how many wires for that Dmax? I'll assume your still counting LOL
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 10th 2011, 7:38 pm

Doesnt matter how many wires there are... you'll never catch me to find out LOL
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 10th 2011, 10:28 pm

I dont really have to run you down if Im dragging you behind me cus your 8th set of injectors went out LOL
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck EmptyApril 13th 2011, 10:50 pm

LBZ have no issues with Injectors Very Happy You cant crap talk about things you dont know son!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

IDI pulling truck Empty
PostSubject: Re: IDI pulling truck   IDI pulling truck Empty

Back to top Go down

IDI pulling truck
Page 1 of 1