Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future Empty
PostSubject: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 12:00 pm

Ford made quite a bit of news at the 2010 SAE World Congress this week in Detroit when it said that many of its upcoming technological advances in smaller gas engines came about by trying to make them more like traditional diesels.

Technologies such as direct injection, turbocharging, cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), high-pressure injection and higher compression ratios are just a few of the overlapping features Ford will use in its new breed of smaller EcoBoost gasoline engines. Ford plans to introduce a V-6 EcoBoost engine into the F-150 lineup — which currently only offers less efficient and more powerful V-8s — by the fourth quarter of this year, but it has not released any power or fuel economy details.

Our guess is Ford will include the new EcoBoost motor along with a host of other weight-saving and fuel-efficient technologies, ensuring that this new option package will offer the highest gas mileage for any full-size pickup. But we’ll have to wait and see.

One of the most encouraging technologies not currently used in the EcoBoost engine but being seriously considered is a cooled EGR that could improve overall efficiency and reduce the tendency for an engine to knock.

The way it works is pretty simple: Gases are cooled in a heat exchanger before being pumped back into the cylinders, where the combustion temperatures will be lowered. Lower combustion temperatures mean more dense air and a bigger bang.

So far, this type of diesel technology works best with smaller engines, but there’s no telling where this melding of diesel and gas technologies might lead.

“When it comes to smaller-displacement engines, EcoBoost is the perfect solution for most consumers,” said Barb Samardzich, Ford’s vice president of powertrain engineering. “They get outstanding fuel economy and low-end torque.”

Although these advancements seem encouraging, they don’t come without costs. High-pressure common-rail systems are expensive to use, even if they don’t run at the extremely high pressures that the Power Stroke, Cummins or Duramax do.

“An EcoBoost engine has much higher operating temperatures than a diesel engine ... and many parts (on our current engines) had to be upgraded to special metals and alloys that hold up to that environment,” said Brett Hinds, manager of Ford’s advanced engine design. “Our exhaust manifolds, for example, are made of stainless steel, and the turbochargers (on all our EcoBoost engines) are made from high-temperature cast-iron alloy.”

Bob Fascetti, director of large gas and diesel engine engineering, believes the technology will expand. “We’re introducing about 30 powertrains in the next couple of years to power everything from small cars to large pickup trucks. Our experience with a wide range of engines allows us to take the best solutions and apply them to many platforms, ultimately benefiting our customers,” he said.

It sounds like if Ford doesn’t eventually put a small diesel in the F-150 soon, it will at least have an EcoBoost gas engine with many of the same technologies.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/04/ford-diesels-point-way-to-the-future.html
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 12:10 pm

yeah i hope diesel is the future. they are actually better than gas in many ways.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 12:48 pm

i hope not.. i'd rather work on a gasoline motor anyday
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 1:57 pm

work wise i agree, but engine to engine comparision...
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 2:06 pm

i would be pissed if i had to drive a diesel for the rest of my life.. towing a trailer? sure, i'm all for it for the pulling power.. but daily? hellll no..
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 2:50 pm

79_bronco wrote:
i would be pissed if i had to drive a diesel for the rest of my life.. towing a trailer? sure, i'm all for it for the pulling power.. but daily? hellll no..

the only ppl that dont like diesels have never driven one
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 2:52 pm

haha oh no.... ding ding ding....
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 2:55 pm

i've driven a couple.. i don't like them..
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 3:21 pm

doc_auto wrote:
yeah i hope diesel is the future. they are actually better than gas in many ways.

I agree !!!! I would take a diesel over a reg gas truck any day. I was happy to hear they're working on a light duty diesel also. For the every day commuters and grocery getters Very Happy
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 3:31 pm

thats what i was thinkin.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 4:11 pm

unless someone gives me one, or i get one dirt cheap, Ill never own a gas truck after owning a diesel.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 5:19 pm

That's what I like to hear.
I've been shopping for that perfect truck. but I find myself trying to decide if I should go back to what I'm familiar with (Gas) or continue my search for what I really want. (Diesel 3/4 ton 4X4)
This will be my first diesel and my first 3/4 ton. So I'm a little leery of the unknown.
but after hearing soo many similar comments like yours John on a bunch of other truck forums... My reservations are quickly disappearing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 11:09 pm

Once you go Diesel, you never go back.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 16th 2010, 11:57 pm

bet me Laughing
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future EmptyApril 17th 2010, 12:09 am

i wish i had a diesel 4x4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future   Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future Empty

Back to top Go down

Ford: Diesels Point Way to the Future
Page 1 of 1