Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
$/$-AMX
Valued Member
Valued Member
$/$-AMX

Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . Empty
PostSubject: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 12th 2010, 8:29 pm

Dose any body offer a D80 in a steer axle?

or

Can a D80 rear be turned into a D80 steer ?

Mike
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 13th 2010, 1:29 am

I beleive the F-450/550/650 4WDs came with one. But I would have to check, Fasel would be the one to ask. I will PM him a link to this thread.
Back to top Go down
Trucker_Eric
Valued Member
Valued Member
Trucker_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 13th 2010, 6:15 am

it could be turned into one with alot of work. gotta cut and take steer parts front maybe a 70...
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 13th 2010, 2:32 pm

hahahaha!!! lol! Thanks for the PM Rob... Ok well to my knowledge Dana only made the 80 in a rear axle. However I have heard of people converting D80s into steer axles you could take knuckles from a D60 and weld them into place get custom 35 spline shafts made and you'd have to get axle tube seals for the knuckles because I do beleive the 80 is a full floater then you'd have as much money into a front 80 as you would into a strong built 60 front. Now I have to ask what you're gonna use these axles on and why you're using the dana 80? The dana 80 is one of those axles that they used for awhile but never got alot of aftermarket attention due to the strenght and versatility of the d60 and the ever popular mighty 14 bolt FF. A d60 although it has a few minor flaws can be upgraded to the point of industruction where it fails is in the pinion support unlike the 14 bolt the 60 has no pinion support bearing where as the 14 bolt has a pinion support bearing that helps the pinion survive intense high torque situations the 14 bolt also has the removable pinion housing where as the d60 is a solid unit The dana 80 is an axle that is built just to try to say that they have something stronger then the 60 and the 14 bolt but in reality the aftermarket support for the 60 and the 14 bolt is far more reliable then the 80's support and I'm not just talking about off road performance upgrade I'm speaking of general parts the gear bearing carrier and axle shaft choices of the 80 pales in significance to the selection of parts for the 60's and the 14 bolt. Now if you already have 2 d80 axles my personal opinion... Sell the 80's and get yourself a set of matching 60's one solid one steer or a 60 front 14 bolt rear. Shave the 14 bolt for clearance and convert it to disk brakes for convinence.

Merlin I dont the f650 has a dana axle at all to be honest with ya... Although like the 11.5" 14 bolt I'm not all to familar with the d80s due mainly to their absence in the offroad scene!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
Back to top Go down
$/$-AMX
Valued Member
Valued Member
$/$-AMX

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 13th 2010, 7:10 pm

I figured it all out, Basically i wanted to Run 4.30 gear's instead of 4.56's, well it seems the only the D60 n D80 could have such a gear set . . .

So rather then having D60 8lug steer n D80 10 lug rear i was going to run twin D80's to get my 4.30's. . .

Anywho i realized going from a 225/70R19.5 N 4.30's to a 245/70R19.5 n 4.56's would give me about the same RPM / MPH ratio.

so with that redesign factored in i was able to stay with the factory axles of D61/ D70- D60 / D70 or optional D70/ D70HD.

Mike
Back to top Go down
$/$-AMX
Valued Member
Valued Member
$/$-AMX

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 13th 2010, 7:25 pm

I solved my problem . . .Myself seems to be a theme these day's. . .

Basically I'm unhappy with my tow rig 6.5/4L80E/4.10s/30" tires real POS. yes i have done the power adder's, polish a turd its still a turd . . .

anywho,

I'm building my new tow rig.

89'-93' RAM350 dually diesel 4x4 manual trans, then rebodying it with a 1962-1988 Jeep J-truck the J-10/20/30 Gladiator ect cab n front clip.

they either had D61/ D70 or D60/D70 as standard axles with optional D70 / D70HD.

to get the RPM/MPH i wanted running 19.5's i would need to run 4.30 gears with 225/70R19.5's.

well the after market gearing company's only offered the 4.30's in a D60 or a D80.

So i had either run a D60 8lug dually axle on front or a D80 10 lug dually axle on rear.

or

Run twin D80's.

i realized after a while i could simply run a 245/70R19.5 tire with 4.56 gears and get about the same RPM / MPH ratio.

the 4.56's can be had in the dana axle's except will require i slight Mod if i get stuck with a D61 front axle but the D60 gear set's can be made to work.

all is good problem is solved thank's much for the help n quick response I was about stop my projected build . . .

now it'll be setup like this:
12V-5.9L-CTD / 5spd -OD / 4.56 gears / 245/70R195 tires.

Now i'll have 1990's dodge power train turned up n geared down to 2000's pulling power that visually looks like a 1960's-80's full size jeep truck. . .

Mike
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 14th 2010, 12:58 pm

Hell yeah man that sounds like a very good plan... I'm glad you solved your problem and I appologize for not being the wealth of knowledge merlin said I was... lol I know alot about a bunch of different axles but when it comes to AG axle and planetary axles and heavy duty 10 lug axles I'm just not up to snuff on those axles mainly because I'm an off road rock crawling mud bogging king of the hammers kind of guy so if the axle in question isn't a heavily accepted axle in the off road world then I'm kind of in the dark about but I'm beginning to learn just a slow reading process because I can't gt my hands on a planetary axle as easily as a I can a D60 SRW axle!!

Glad you got the problem figured out that'll be a sweet looking project when it's done make sure you keep us updated on the build!!!
Back to top Go down
$/$-AMX
Valued Member
Valued Member
$/$-AMX

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 16th 2010, 6:54 pm

http://www.mytrucksource.com/pride-and-joy-f19/cad-rendering-of-project-jeep-j-5500-t712.htm#9657

Check out the first draft CAD rendering of the projected build. . .

Mike
Back to top Go down
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . EmptyJanuary 17th 2010, 12:56 am

Dodge offer the d80 as a steer axle and following is some text of a custom built d80.
"A custom Dana 80 axle resides under the front of the Blazer. It was hand-built by Naeger at his shop, Custom Differentials. It features massive 3/4-inch-thick axletubes, Moser chrome-moly 35-spline axleshafts and a Detroit Locker. The suspension is composed of massive 3-inch-wide leaf springs with 5/8-inch eyebolts. The springs generate 14 inches of lift."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .   Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . . Empty

Back to top Go down

Azxle's. . .Dana80's. . .
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Truck Source :: Mechanics Corner :: General Tech-
Jump to: