Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

gas to diesel swap

Go down 
+7
johnboggs21
batty1214
1993GMCSierra
007jimmy
stealthdawg09
merlin5577
lilgib12
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ahillbilly

Ahillbilly

gas to diesel swap - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 12:28 am

f150dailydragger wrote:
i liked the 5.9 cummins and any swap you do make sure its turbo diesel! just my .02$
I have a cummins in My GMC k-3500 and she pulls decent, milage is decent loaded 16 mpg with 24' fifth wheel camper and about 20 with out I also don't have good driving habits. My wifes is also a 93 Gmc 2wd 1500 with a 6.2 naturaly asperated engine it gets about 25 mpg. As an empty truck it has plenty of power to pass in trafic but add a load or trailer and couldn't pull a cluck off it's nest. I would like to install a turbo not so much for more power but to see if fuel milage can be increased for bragging rights. I tryed to post pictures off our trucks I'm not sure if it will work[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 2:51 pm

lilgib12 wrote:
Would I need to get a 6.2 or 6.5 from a specific year?

You can use components from any 1989 - 1993 6.2L and they will all bolt it. You can also use any 1992 - 1995 6.5L but you would need the transmission as well. The 6.5Ls all use TH-400s or 4L80s. The 6.2Ls came with the same 700R4 as your truck.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 12th 2009, 2:53 pm

Ahillbilly wrote:
I have a cummins in My GMC k-3500 and she pulls decent, milage is decent loaded 16 mpg with 24' fifth wheel camper and about 20 with out I also don't have good driving habits. My wifes is also a 93 Gmc 2wd 1500 with a 6.2 naturaly asperated engine it gets about 25 mpg. As an empty truck it has plenty of power to pass in trafic but add a load or trailer and couldn't pull a cluck off it's nest. I would like to install a turbo not so much for more power but to see if fuel milage can be increased for bragging rights. I tryed to post pictures off our trucks I'm not sure if it will work

Check out this thread, I would love to see pictures of those diesels.

http://www.mytrucksource.com/forum-help-section-f22/uploading-pics-onto-this-site-t135.htm#2882
Back to top Go down
lilgib12

lilgib12

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2009, 11:31 am

How would you guys rate those two engines? The 6.2L and the 6.5L
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2009, 4:34 pm

6.5 is supposed to be more reliable. IM pretty sure the early 6.2 had quite a few issues.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 13th 2009, 6:11 pm

I dont have as much experience with the 6.5L as I do the 6.2L but I beleive them to be both reliable engines. The 6.2L is all mechanical, and the 6.5L has some computer controls. The early 6.2s (1983ish) had some troubles with gaskets but none of the other years had trouble to my knowledge. The 94-95 6.5Ls have known issues with overheating but these where corrected in previous and current years.

Like I said before I would suggest a 6.2L of the same year as your truck for the easiest install.
Back to top Go down
lilgib12

lilgib12

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 11:47 am

Now the hard part is finding the engine ha ha
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 1:06 pm

lol! Thats always the problem. I would check your local junkyards and auction houses.
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 10:09 pm

lilgib12 wrote:
My truck is 4wd and I have the 700R4 tranny. I'm not 100% sure which diesel I want to put in it. It's the first truck I've owned on my own (bought, and insured myself) so I'm sure you can all see why I want to pull out all the tricks on this. In school I built and painted a 12 valve dual turbo 5.9L Cummins from the block up. After me and one other student finished it we helped put it into a 1989 Suburban. Its a beast. That engine is ridiculous. I think I'm torn between that and a Duramax. I know it will take a lot to accomplish but it will be a great thing when it's finished.

What transmission was behind that compound Cummins?
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 10:14 pm

If anyone is planning a 5.9 6BT or ISB, make sure you get motor mounts from a good source. Also, don't try running them in front of 700R4s or 4L80s if you turn up fuel.

The length is an issue. I don't run a cooling fan in Chum and won't until I put AC back in. It will be a task to get two small electric fans in there.

For now putting an Allison 1000 in is the challenge.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 10:40 pm

you can put an electri fan setup in fron of your rad if you wire them up in reverse.. i had to do it on my 460 bronco swap with the ecetric waterpump.. it worked out great using 2 650cfm fans
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 10:46 pm

007jimmy wrote:
you can put an electri fan setup in fron of your rad if you wire them up in reverse.. i had to do it on my 460 bronco swap with the ecetric waterpump.. it worked out great using 2 650cfm fans

I've thought of that as well. The issue is the fans would push through the condenser, intercooler and radiator. There would be very little air making it through the radiator. I may have to put a small pusher in front of the condenser and two small pullers behind it. I'm going through UPI for a shroud with Spal fans.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 EmptyOctober 14th 2009, 10:53 pm

yeah but if you think about it it pulls through all that stuff anyways and they are all butted up together anyways so its not really a big deal... you could awwyas upgrade to a 4 or 5 core rad and then youll be lucky if you get heat in the winter... im running a 4 core with the setup mentioned above.. i got 2 fansout of a vette and in the winter i take my low temp relay out and run the high temp fan cause it works good enough.. it takes about 45 mins for m truck to even blow out luke warm air and thats with a fresh block, new rad, new heater core and a new water pump and a 185 stat.. its crazy but i would rather run cold then hot
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gas to diesel swap   gas to diesel swap - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

gas to diesel swap
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2