Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! Empty
PostSubject: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 9th 2012, 10:27 pm

Hi all,

My '93 Sierra with a 5.0 will NOT get better than 12-14MPG's. It's a 4x4, but I carry no extra cargo, and it's been tuned up, but I just cannot get better than 14 MPG's in it. What gives?

My old one with a 4.3L did so good, I could squeeze 22 out of it doing mixed (mainly highway) driving.
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 9th 2012, 10:42 pm

Good to see you back bud. That's a tricky one, my 98 with the 5.7 averaged 14 with the winch, about 15 without it. My o6 averages around 15 in town, so your not doin too terrible. But idk what would cause 12. Unless it has something to do with the winter fuel mix in your area. I've heard of that causing mileage decreases.
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 9th 2012, 10:44 pm

Wasn't your old truck a manual? A 4wd auto will def have a noticeable decrease over a 6cyl 2wd manual.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 9th 2012, 10:56 pm

Yes, I went from a 2500 series with 2WD, a stick and a V6 to a 1500 with 4x4, Auto, and a V-8.

I can understand there being a drop, but 8-10MPG's? I had to mash the gas to get the old truck to move anywhere, I drive this one like I'm 85!
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 9th 2012, 11:00 pm

Hmm could be tranny is starting to slip? Maybe parking brake is stuck, or a caliper isn't releasing? Those are the only things I can think of right off the bat... I kno you keep your vehicles in good running order lol
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 9th 2012, 11:07 pm

Oh, the trans. is definitely in bad shape. A quart of Lucas Trans Fix is holding it together, but that has no effect on the mileage. It's always done 14, no matter how carefully I drive it.

If it wasn't for the Lucas, I'd have to wait a few minutes when it's cold out for it to move in Reverse, shifting in and out of OD, and going from 3rd to 2nd for no reason at all. It drives just fine now, the Lucas saved it. I think I have a thread on it here, actually.

I'll just drive it until the trans dies, then make a decision on whether to replace it, or replace the truck.

Sad thing is, it's a Jasper reman with around 30K on it.
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 9th 2012, 11:16 pm

Pretty sure I'd jus replace the trans. It looks like an otherwise solid truck.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! EmptyMarch 10th 2012, 12:41 am

Does the exhaust stink ??? I mean does it really smell like it's running too rich?
Maybe replace the MAS air sensor or clean it. It could be starting to get dirty and fooling the truck to run rich to compensate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!   I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul! Empty

Back to top Go down

I cannot get above 14 MPG's to save my soul!
Page 1 of 1