Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

going from 2x to 4x

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

going from 2x to 4x  Empty
PostSubject: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  EmptyMarch 9th 2011, 11:17 pm

Alrite me and Joe have been talkin it over about making my 93 4wd. I told him I was planning on just keeping my 2wd E4OD for now and running a divorced NP205 Tcase behind it and sticking a D50 under the front end since it "should" be a bolt on affair, and since I dont plan on anything more than a 33 inch tire it should hold up just fine. People are always ditching their D50s and D44s for D60s anyways, so Im sure I can get one for next to nothing. Anyways, AFAIK the NP205 is all gears and no chain right? If not is their a better Tcase I can run? Since its going to be a divorced setup I can run an tcase under the sun. If anybody sees any problem with my plan, feel free to point them out now since im mostly just planning and havent actually spent any money on it yet lol.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  EmptyMarch 10th 2011, 10:45 pm

The NP205 is a gear driven transfercase. As far as durability goes, good luck finding a better one, without a bit of money. however, they are heavy, and will suck some power to turn through it.... good choice though. should work well in a divorced setup, with a truck the length of yours.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 3:35 pm

Well after giving it some thought and talkin to joe some more, he has about got me convinced to use a D44 monobeam from a 70's F250. He jus so happens to have one thats already been modded for a newer truck AND has the 3.55 gears that I need. He said he could send it my way for price of shipping. It should hold up fine under my truck since he had 37s on his truck when it was still under his with no issues. Also no funny tire wear or alignment issues.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  EmptyMarch 12th 2011, 9:12 pm

The mono beam setup would be great under your truck!! I see no problems with that setup especially running only a 33" tire. However the 205 divorced case is an awesome case. 203 is also gear to gear and is full time 4wd unless you install a part time kit. Profab and atlas and SCS are also gear to gear but they are expensive. The 205 will require quite a bit of bracing though so be cautious when hanging it under your truck. But in all reality the d44 is a great axle easy to work on highly available and inexpensive the mono beam is also a good setup but I'm not sure how available the parts for it are for it being from the 70's but d44 from '69 through '91 are the same from the steering knuckles in. the ball joints from a '77 ford will work on a '90 chevy axle so parts are available and cheap and very easy from someone with limited tools and experience to work on. Any other questions shoot me a pm or if you need extreme help and I can afford it Bad Axe is only about 3 hrs south of me!! lol

Good luck man I'll stay tuned in here.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  EmptyMarch 13th 2011, 2:39 pm

Yea i know those 205 tcases weigh a ton which is fine since IM going with a divorced tcase. I believe that cheby axles have the pumpkin on the passenger side.....guess it really doesnt matter since I can orient my tcase for either side. The newer D44s are TTB....at least the ford ones are, so id like to avoid those. Just doesnt seem like a great setup underneath the weight and torque of the diesel..
Back to top Go down
Milwaukee

Milwaukee

PostSubject: Re: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  EmptyApril 17th 2011, 12:00 am

any progress on this project yet?
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  EmptyApril 17th 2011, 12:03 am

nope, still working on other areas of the truck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: going from 2x to 4x    going from 2x to 4x  Empty

Back to top Go down

going from 2x to 4x
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Truck Source :: Off-Topic :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: