Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

EGR valve

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 6:19 pm

anybody know the best way to clean an EGR valve on a 00 f150?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 6:19 pm

Pull it off, soak it in PB Blaster, scrub the crap out of it. Re-install. Voila' cheers
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 6:21 pm

sounds good lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 6:24 pm

Its just a temporary fix though. You'll never get all the carbon out. Eventually it will need to be replaced.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 6:25 pm

50 bucks for an EGR valve at advance auto..........im missing my diesel more and more everyday. I hope this fixes my crappy mileage. Averaging about 16 right now......
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 11:40 pm

that wont fix your crappy milage.. thats a ford thing.. lol
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 27th 2010, 11:42 pm

Yeah, i was gonna say.... that seems about right for that year and size truck..... What would you would see and increase with would be premium fuel and a new air filter.... but the costs might outweigh the actual gain....

Perhaps some injector cleaner too? It helped me Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 12:07 am

Premium fuel wont do anything but drain his wallet. Remember John, thats a relatively heave truck for such a 'small' engine. 16 is about what you can expect.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 10:34 pm

well shoot 4.2 is a pretty good size V6. The truck aint that heavy. Hell its only 2wd even.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 10:36 pm

BTW a buddy I work with has the same basic truck cept 4wd and stick shift and he says he gets 19-21......
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 10:50 pm

The manual shift makes a BIG difference, along with driving styles too.... Those older tranny's were three speeds and OD, where as the manual's have five gears... so the freeway mileage would be a bit higher, and driven right, so would the city..... And as for weight, V6 and 2wd aside, it is still over 5k lbs.... Also keep in mind, the rear end and final drive gear ratios are different between those trucks. Yours may be lower to compensate for the disadvantage to allow for better contro,l in rougher conditions, like snow and heavy rain..... But a little tweaking, TLC and some healthy driving habbits and you will see that number increase for sure......

And as for Merlin's comment, In every vehicle I have ever owned, upgrading to 93 fuel always gained me about 2-3 mpg more, but the cost usually does outweigh those benefits..... It is good to run a tank of high tes every fifth or sixth tank anyway though, it helps keep the fuel system clean.... either that, or a fuel system treatment/cleaner every so often.. same concept.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 10:51 pm

but still, this truck HAS to be at least 1000 lbs lighter than the old one.........it has 3.55 gears which is the same as the old truck has......
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 11:01 pm

I am not suggesting that you should NOT clean the valve, or try to increase the mileage... just suggesting that every vehicle is different.

The 1996 S10 truck I had ran the 4.3l V6 and the 4l60e tranny and averaged close to 23mpg between city and highway. I drove a 2003 Astro work van, same power train, same mileage.... BUT, my 1998 S10 Blazer with the same exact power train, even the same suspension setup and whatnot, could not get better the 15mpg at its peak.... and the Astro van was way heavier then my blazer..... sometimes it is just how it is.... it sucks, but it is what it is...

I still hold to my guns here, change the air cleaner with a nice one, like K&N, not fram, I am not saying the whole intake system, just the filter.... Run some injector cleaner through it, change the oil, plugs, wires along with cleaning your EGR valve and see what that does. In the end, if you gain 3-5 mpg out of it, those parts will pay for themselves over the next several tanks of fuel....
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 11:17 pm

yea a tuneup wouldnt hurt it any. Probably original plugs and wires. I know the filter could use a good cleaning. Ugh, wish I woulda just kept my diesel.......soooooo much cheaper and easier to work on.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 28th 2010, 11:43 pm

Junior3382 wrote:
And as for Merlin's comment, In every vehicle I have ever owned, upgrading to 93 fuel always gained me about 2-3 mpg more, but the cost usually does outweigh those benefits..... It is good to run a tank of high tes every fifth or sixth tank anyway though, it helps keep the fuel system clean.... either that, or a fuel system treatment/cleaner every so often.. same concept.

The energy content of both is the same. And the higher octane (resistance to detenation) is harder to ignite. There are NO advantages to running 93 in a vehicle that calls for 87. My 'peak' interest are in engines is fuels, and I have done more research on this then I care to admit. In every case, it was not the fuel that made the increase, it was the driver. Psychosomaticism is a powerful force. And as for cleaning the fuel system. Both fuels get the same additives, and both are solvents to begin with, so it does nothing to clean anything out. Sorry bud.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 29th 2010, 12:30 am

I will simply agree to disagree with you here bud. I do not doubt your experience and your research, so do not get me wrong. I too have done my share of study in this, especially with the business I am in as well.... and IF that were true, and there is NO difference, then BMW and Mercedes would run exactly the same on 87, yet they do not. In adittion, most ford motors, especially the smaller v6's have an inherent upper end ping... and I have personally witnessed and experienced that upgrading to 93 not only improves motor response, efficency and power, it also eliminates that ping. So I prefer to believe that 93 is in many ways more efficient for any motor then the standard 87.... Smile
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve EmptyJuly 29th 2010, 2:56 am

Junior, I believe you misread my previous comment. I said 'in engines that call for 87'. True, some engines call for 91 or higher. This is generally (not always) done because of higher compression ratios or advanced timing. The higher octane fuel is needed to fight off detenation (your ping) caused by those factors. If the manufacturer does not call for premium fuel, then your just wasting your money by putting it in. This information can be found on the fuel filler door, or in your owners manual.

http://www.consumertipsreports.org/the_truth_about_highoctane_gas.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EGR valve Empty
PostSubject: Re: EGR valve   EGR valve Empty

Back to top Go down

EGR valve
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Truck Source :: Trucks :: Ford Motors-
Jump to: