Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV

Go down 
+4
76silverado
TruckAddict
zembonez
merlin5577
8 posters
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV Empty
PostSubject: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 12:58 am

Quote :
Who says General Motors (MTLQQ) can't react quickly?

The auto giant -- and ward of the federal government -- said today it had canceled plans for a new Buick sport-utility vehicle announced Aug. 6.

How come? Potential customers said the model lacked the "premium characteristics" they expect from the brand.

We could use another word to describe what that means, but we won't.

The decision was made Aug. 14, Bloomberg News said. Earlier in the week, GM had showed the SUV and other future vehicles to consumers, dealers, employees, analysts and news reporters, Vice Chairman Tom Stephens said on a company blog.

The plans for the SUV called for a plug-in hybrid version, which also was canceled, he wrote.

The speed of the cancellation shows that, since emerging from bankruptcy last month, GM "is listening and moving quickly," Stephens wrote.

CEO Fritz Henderson has said he wants to transform GM to be more responsive to customers and make decisions quickly.

"It’s obviously a sign of a faster GM and a GM more open to outside feedback," Jim Hall, principal of auto consulting firm 2953 Analytics in Birmingham, Mich., told Bloomberg. "It also suggests there were already concerns inside the company about the product."

The plug-in hybrid technology that was to be used for the Buick SUV will be applied to another vehicle, with no delay, that GM will discuss soon, Stephens wrote.
Back to top Go down
zembonez
zembonez

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 10:43 am

If you hike the lots at your local GM store... you'll see that the last thing they need is another SUV!

GM needs to get inventive with their engineers and put the good ole USA back on top in other markets. The US made truck brands are top notch but the cars have lagged behind until recent years. It's good to see improvement in them and I hope it continues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.truckmodcentral.com
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 4:33 pm

Agreed. The real push is going to be cars, especially if fuel economy standards keeps being on the news all the time.
Back to top Go down
zembonez
zembonez

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 4:53 pm

Without going out on a political limb here, our current administration is going to push EPA numbers down our throats whether we like it or not. Like Cash for Clunkers, they have a debt to pay those who got them elected.
Back to top Go down
http://www.truckmodcentral.com
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 21st 2009, 8:48 pm

I agree. It is not the free market driving choice, it is the government. Most people (IMO) dont care about fuel economy as long as the gasoline is cheap.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 25th 2009, 10:44 pm

I have to agree 98%. Only 98% because sure we do care about fuel economy to a certain degree, but as long as fuel prices are cheap enough Americans will continue to drive SUV's that get 14-18mpg. However, I do agree, we all should try to keep our fuel consumption down as low as possible just to keep demand for fuel lower. Most families are 2 or 3 vehicle households now days and both parents work these days. No reason a family can still not have an SUV in their garage as long as they have an econo car also. If dad works 25 miles from home, and mom works 8 miles from home, then dad drives the econo car 4-5 days a week and mom drives the SUV to work since she is not driving far, then the family has the SUV on the weekends to go see grandma or go on vacation. I don't like to get into political conversation becasue some people can't handle it, but personally, I feel the high fuel prices are the major reason for our failed economy. Other things also contibuted like corporate greed, and bad loans etc, but the fuel crises hurt everyone but the oil companies. And you know oil companies are not giving back or giving a break. But yet remember when fuel got down to 80 cents a gallon again??? They cried like hell and the gubment made sure the fuel prices were able to come back up again.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 25th 2009, 10:46 pm

Heck, some people(me) can't afford economy cars since they cost more then gas guzzlers. Make the econ. cars cheaper, not crappier but cheaper. That will sell them.
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 25th 2009, 11:14 pm

76silverado wrote:
Heck, some people(me) can't afford economy cars since they cost more then gas guzzlers. Make the econ. cars cheaper, not crappier but cheaper. That will sell them.

there is one major flaw with that line of reasoning... they are running a "Business".... for profit, not a non-profit charity to provide for the greater good. Kind of like the same issues with todays health system... it is more of a business then it is trying to actually help people.... So right now, Eco cars are hot, therefore demand forces price up...LOL

But I do agree... I cannot afford it either...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 25th 2009, 11:27 pm

Well, if GM makes that $4,000 car, I think most everyone could afford it.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 3:21 am

zembonez wrote:
The US made truck brands are top notch but the cars have lagged behind until recent years. It's good to see improvement in them and I hope it continues.

as long as the US companies keep re-producing the 'old' cars, they will see more profit than they have in the past few years.. i think chevy needs a kick in the balls for what they did to the camaro though.. it looks worse than the mid 90's+ cars did..

chrysler made the right move with the challenger. i will be the first person to trash a dodge but that car is just flat out bada**!!!!

and ford, they did an amazing job with the mustang. i'm starting to see more of the 05+ mustangs on the road than 04 and older.. they're really keeping up with what people want/like and adding more and more to the cars to make them better

the 'big 3' really made an impact on the country with these cars, ford more so with the mustangs than the other 2.. i think they really need to put a little more focus on their compact cars to make them more appealing to the 'younger crowd' (myself excluded, i hate compact cars!! Laughing )
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 11:39 am

No matter what fuel prices do, I will keep my trucks. Technology is great, but the laws of physics are solid. If I get hit by a civic in my Silverado, I WILL be driving home. If the opposite happens, I stand a good chance of meeting the maker.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 11:48 am

^ I couldn't agree with you more Rob!! If I had to choose between a compact car or even an S series pickup in the event of a collision the choice would be clear... Full frame vehicals are plain safer it don't matter how many airbags you have! All airbags do is burn the **** out of you... It's like side effect on medication... Take our pill for your itchy watery eye's side effects include neasua and vomitting and some weight loss in smaller people... I think I'll stick with my watery eyes!! Airbags are the same way save yourself a couple bumps and bruises but side effects may include burning off half your face... Bruises and broken bones heal facial burn scars do not!!!!
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 11:53 am

I agree on the fact the auto makers are going to do well with the Nostalgia cars coming back. You're right, the Camaro didn't look as well as I had hoped, but nevertheless, its still a Camaro and will sell well. I think where GM messed up the worst, is taking to long to unvail the Camaro and get it in the showrooms. I'd still prefer to have a 68-69 Camaro any day of the week over one of the new ones. I am not a Dodge Fan either, but I sure wouldn't mind having an older Hemi Cuda.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 3:29 pm

that's the next car i'm waiting to see dodge bring back.. the cuda Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 4:30 pm

1993GMCSierra wrote:
Well, if GM makes that $4,000 car, I think most everyone could afford it.

well see you forget about the process.... the parts suppliers makes a profit, the manufacterer makes a profit, the shipping guys make a profit, the dealer makes a profit and so on...

Form experience in the business... before the vehicle even gets to the lot to selll.... so many people have had their cut that there is not much a dealer can do.... nor can the manufacterer themselves.... but what makes it worse is when "new" technology is made availible, and the manufacterers want it, those suppliers charge more, basic supply and demand... IF no one bought a single hybrid, EVER, the suppliers would be forced to take a loss to sell their inventory and in the end, those savings would be passed on to us.... it is the price of innovation, peaople will pay for the new...

Remember when VHS was all the rave? 200 bucks for a VCR... then DVD's were the rage and VCRs fell to now what, 20 bucks, IF you can still find them? Now Blu-Ray is out and DVD players are dropping like mad.... justa good example of the market... once we have the next "new" idea for automobiles, then hybrid and hydrogen and propane and other alternatives will be more affordable....LOL...

Anyways, this rant may not make sense, but it is how I see it....lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 4:56 pm

i'll believe a $4k car when i see it.. granted, cars 30 years ago were fully loaded with a big block for that price, but times have changed and material costs have sky rocketed.. what are they going to build it out of, paper clips and bubble gun? lmao
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 5:15 pm

79_bronco wrote:
i'll believe a $4k car when i see it.. granted, cars 30 years ago were fully loaded with a big block for that price, but times have changed and material costs have sky rocketed.. what are they going to build it out of, paper clips and bubble gun? lmao

Closer to 40 years ago.

According to my brochures, most luxury cars n the 70's were over $7K.

Stuff like Ford Torinos, Buick Skylarks, etc were closer to 4.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 26th 2009, 5:26 pm

i keep forgetting we're in 2009 LMAO

and a muscle car isn't a luxury car Wink
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 27th 2009, 12:11 pm

79_bronco wrote:
that's the next car i'm waiting to see dodge bring back.. the cuda Very Happy

Your going to be waiting a looooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 27th 2009, 2:00 pm

A very long time. Cuda was a Plymouth and Plymouth brand is gone. You have as much luck with the Cuda coming back as the Javlin or Gremlin. The brands no longer exist.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 30th 2009, 12:50 am

it wouldn't take much for chysler to bring back the plymouth name for the sake of an all new cuda.. they still have owning rights to the name and it could be built in same factories as the challenger..

and a new gremlin would make me piss my pants lol!
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 30th 2009, 10:59 am

79_bronco wrote:
it wouldn't take much for chysler to bring back the plymouth name for the sake of an all new cuda.. they still have owning rights to the name and it could be built in same factories as the challenger..

and a new gremlin would make me piss my pants lol!

Yeah, but if they bring back Plymouth it would just be another brand competing with Dodge, and thats exactly what Chrysler doesnt want.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV EmptyAugust 30th 2009, 5:18 pm

their slaes would boost majorly with a new hemi cuda in the lineup, and we all know money conquers all in this country lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV   Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV Empty

Back to top Go down

Customers speak, and GM kills new SUV
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Truck Source :: Trucks :: General motors-
Jump to: