Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!

Go down 
+4
doc_auto
johnboggs21
007jimmy
FaselZ71
8 posters
AuthorMessage
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! Empty
PostSubject: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 15th 2010, 6:45 pm

Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 15th 2010, 7:12 pm

wow.. just wow.. lol
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 15th 2010, 9:28 pm

wow thats pretty slick.......some of the old power king garden tractors had dual transmissions..not sure how they were set up tho....
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 16th 2010, 3:20 am

thats crazy.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 16th 2010, 9:08 am

Wow !!! Some of the things people can do when they've got the resources.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 16th 2010, 8:16 pm

I know right and if any of you read down far enough this setup combined with his transfer case gave him a crawl ratio of 300:1!!!

And for those of you who don't know a 300:1 crawl ratio is just retarded!!!! The NP241 tranfer case has a stock crawl ratio 2:61:1 which means in 4lo you can get upto about 25 miles per hour... Now with a ratio as high as 300:1 if you had a 4spd trans you could shift thru all 4 gears and walk beside the vehical in 4 gear!!! Simply Ridiculous!!!
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 16th 2010, 9:26 pm

i bet its a climbin sob
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 16th 2010, 9:31 pm

FaselZ71 wrote:
I know right and if any of you read down far enough this setup combined with his transfer case gave him a crawl ratio of 300:1!!!

And for those of you who don't know a 300:1 crawl ratio is just retarded!!!! The NP241 tranfer case has a stock crawl ratio 2:61:1 which means in 4lo you can get upto about 25 miles per hour... Now with a ratio as high as 300:1 if you had a 4spd trans you could shift thru all 4 gears and walk beside the vehical in 4 gear!!! Simply Ridiculous!!!

no wonder they were breakin crap left and right lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 17th 2010, 12:12 pm

FaselZ71 wrote:

How did he come up with 300:1? My math doesnt add up.

3.06 X 3 X 2.61 X 5.72 = 137.05
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 17th 2010, 8:20 pm

hmm.... 5 speed from a 84 chevy c4500(kodiak) and a 465..... thatd give me some serious gear choices i think i'd visit my buddies machine shop and have a custom transmission housing built rather than trying to couple the 2 together.... but then if im gonna do that, and deal with that kind of weight, why not throw in a 12 speed browning trans.... then i could have 2 ranges.... i think ill save the 2000 dollars for the metal in the custom case, and pay a few hundred for a 203/205 doubler..... but that is a neat idea
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 17th 2010, 11:26 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
FaselZ71 wrote:

How did he come up with 300:1? My math doesnt add up.

3.06 X 3 X 2.61 X 5.72 = 137.05

Ok so I reread and this is what I found... He made a dual manual setup too... The quote below was the manumatic setup

Crawl ratio of 160ish:1 + whatever you allow for torque converter slip.
I wheeled this setup several times and drove it on the highway in overdrive quite a few times. It worked amazing on and off road.

However.........

And this is what he says about the dual manual setup!

Haven't wheeled the dual manuals yet, done a lot of street driving befoire I stripped done the rig. In an open lot, I could stand beside the truck, with both trannies in neutral, shift them into first one at a time, through the window (with the t-case in neutral) and continue to shift one of them through 2nd, 3rd and 4th, all through the window walking alongside.
Crawl is around 400:1 in reverse/reverse
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 30th 2010, 11:09 am

That is actually a very old idea. It has been done many times before way way back in the days, even before my days really. Although, not in a 4x4 and not behind an automatic trans. Its been done where guys had both transmisisons divorced, using a bolt on yoke connected by u joint to another yoke to be the coupler and the 2nd transmisison was installed backwards to be used as an overdrive unit. Done with a 3 speed manual trans, your 3rd gear would give you a 1 to 1 ratio, and 2nd and 1st gears gave you 2 differant overdrive gears. Its not a bad idea, but it rarely lasted a long time because of the angle cuts on the gear and working in backwards of the gear cuts. But if you were to find a straight cut gear transmission, its sure alot cheaper than a gear bender unit.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! EmptyMarch 31st 2010, 10:31 am

Huh... That's really an amazing concept... See until this thread I'd never heard of dual transmissions. I've seen dual Tcases but not trannies!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!   Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art! Empty

Back to top Go down

Dual Transmissions?!?! It's truely a work of art!
Page 1 of 1