Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Suburban wont start... any ideas?

Go down 
+6
Trucker_Eric
FaselZ71
$/$-AMX
1993GMCSierra
007jimmy
merlin5577
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2010, 12:38 pm

I only checked the front two plugs, both had spark. I pulled the cap and there was no moisture, and it looked fine. So your saying I should check all the plugs?
Back to top Go down
Trucker_Eric
Valued Member
Valued Member
Trucker_Eric

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2010, 2:16 pm

i know this may sound stupid, but check the relays and fuses, you never know, maybe its the fuel pmup fuse and you wont get fuel if theres a bad fuse. its worth a shot, i guess.

also, my firends nissan xterra with a KA24DE motor had the same problem and it ended up being the computar, so make sure that aint bad. we also hyad a lincon continential that had a bad computar and it sounds exactly what your problem is.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2010, 3:05 pm

Its not stupid Eric, thats the first thing I checked. It might be the computer, but i'm not sure yet. I just pulled all 8 plugs and tested them. All 8 had gas on them when I pulled them out and after cleaning them off and grounding them, had a spark. I know there is a big difference between a spark outside the cylinder and a spark inside, so i'm thinking the coil is weak?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2010, 11:39 pm

is it a distictive spark. it should look like a lightning bolt but not as bright.. lol. one stupid way to test is to grab the plug wire and crank her over.. if it feels like a shock from rubbing your feet on the carpet then its weak.. if it feels like you got zapped by 110 line then your good.. lol. coils are something you really cant test without a special tool. .. i dont know the exact output of your coil plus you need a special volt meter that saves the peak amps.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 24th 2010, 11:50 pm

Its a bright blue spark, like a lightning bolt from a distance. I am going to pull all the plugs and crank it over a few times to flush the gas out of the cylinders. A also friend suggested the coil wire itself, so I am going to run an ohm test on that first, then pull the coil and have the local shop test it.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 25th 2010, 12:06 am

hold your foot all the way to the floor when you go to flush the cylinders.. it stops the injectors from firing at all
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 25th 2010, 3:35 pm

Stupid rain! I hate not having a garage.... no working on it today.... Mad
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 25th 2010, 3:54 pm

Same here. We got a good 2-3" worth. Sad
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 12:34 pm

Ok, I took out all the plugs, cleaned them up, disconnected the coil wire, and pulled the fuel pump relay. Cranked it over 1/2 dozen times, let it sit, cranked it over 1/2 dozen times, let it sit, cranked it over 1/2 dozen times, let it sit. Put the plugs back in, replaced the coil wire and fuel pump relay, turned the key, fired right up.... for 10ish seconds then died. Now it wont restart. I am at my wits end..... any ideas? Fuel pump? Something else I am missing?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 3:31 pm

I pulled a few different plugs and checked, all three had a light blue,white spark with the infamous crackling sound. So I dont think its spark. I pulled the fuel pump relay and check it with a meter, it checks out, but I dont have another one to change it out with. I cranked the motor a few times with the fuel pump realy out to try and get all the fuel out. Then put it back in, key on, beat the tank with my boot, nothing, still just cranks.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 3:31 pm

I also double checked all the fuses, cables, and relays. Nothing out of the normal.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 5:52 pm

it sounds like you have a passlock issue to me but im not sure if your truck is equiped with it.. it will stop the inectors from firing. its in the ecu but i dont know much about it. i was just told that it can cause problems sometimes and you have to replace your ecu.. if you have the same one as mine i have 2 extra that i can ship to you.. if its a black box i got it but if its silver your gonna have to look elsewhere
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 7:52 pm

I dont think its the injectors. When I pulled the plugs out the second time they where again wet, so I know its getting fuel. I'm leaning towards a fuel pump or regulator issue. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 8:52 pm

well if you pull your upper intake youll be able to see ir your regulator is bad cause of the clean spot it leaves when the go bad.. youll also be able to see if you have a bad injector assembly the same way.. there should be a bit of carbon buildup on everything except where it would be leaking.. the fuel pump you would know if it was bad by doing a pressure test.. speaking of.. you could also do a leakdown test with the same guage.. what you do is hook up the guage. the fitting is right by the big plug on the upper intake.. looks like a tire valve, then prime the pump and see what kind of pressure you build. if its anywhere around 60 psi give or take a few then your pump is good.. then just turn the truck off with the guage still hooked up and see how long it takes for the pressure to go back down.. in your case it sounds like its a pretty bad leak so it shouldnt take long.. give it 15 mins and if your at zero then you got issues.. but as long as you get 60ish psi then you lucked out. regulator is alot easier and cheaper then a fuel pump..
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 8:55 pm

Thanks Joe. I dont own a guage so i've been trying to find one I can borrow. It does have the original fuel pump, so it could be that its not creating enough pressure. But I still hope its the regulator....
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 27th 2010, 9:06 pm

yeah but i know for a fact that it wont even fire without enough pressure.. what leads me to beleive its the regulator is the fact that if shut off after a few seconds so its eather dumping to much fuel to the injectors or its spraying everywhere cause the o-ring on the regulator rotted out and if fell out of its housing.. youll know what im talking about if you have to pull your upper intake. lol.. its easy to do but the way GM designed it is rediculous..
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 28th 2010, 11:15 pm

Kick it! Good luck to ya!
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2010, 12:22 pm

Trust me, its been kicked. I'm still trying to locate a fuel pressure testor. Erg!
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2010, 4:09 pm

try autozone.. they have a tool 'loaner' program.. basically, you pay a deposit of some sort on whatever tool you need.. when you take it back, you get your money back
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2010, 4:18 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
Trust me, its been kicked.

Laughing

If I was your car, I wouldn't start just because of that! Razz

+1 on the tool loaner thing. Advance Auto does it. I got a P/S pulley for my old GMC from them. You have to keep the receipt for when you bring it back. they give you 30 days, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2010, 4:20 pm

1993GMCSierra wrote:
merlin5577 wrote:
Trust me, its been kicked.

Laughing

If I was your car, I wouldn't start just because of that! Razz

trucks often run better when kicked frequently Laughing
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2010, 8:23 pm

let me correct you chris... TRUE trucks run better when kicked often.. no primped and pampered driveway ornaments.. lol.. just busting your balls 93
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2010, 11:09 pm

They run better when dirty too.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 30th 2010, 12:06 am

they're also much happier when purposely sunk into holes
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 30th 2010, 4:36 pm

this is merlins GOD HELP ME thread so lets not clutter it up with all the nonesence
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Suburban wont start... any ideas?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next