Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Suburban wont start... any ideas?

Go down 
+6
Trucker_Eric
FaselZ71
$/$-AMX
1993GMCSierra
007jimmy
merlin5577
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Suburban wont start... any ideas? Empty
PostSubject: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 18th 2010, 4:55 pm

My 97' for the first time today refused to start... Sad It will crank over fine, it just wont catch. I tried starting fluid... (I know, I know) and still nothing. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and the battery if fully charged. Pulled the passanger side front plug, no spark, nothing. The plugs/wires/cap/rotor are less the 2 years old and it ran fine all day yesterday. So... ideas? The coil maybe?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 18th 2010, 8:10 pm

i would pull off the coil wire and see if its getting any spark.. if not then check the plug to make sure its getting a signal.. i dunno what the weather has been like around you but moisture in the cap will cause a no spark.. if you have spark at the coil then pop the cap off and check it out.. sometimes the center pin will burn up after it gets wet.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 18th 2010, 9:37 pm

I've known the coils to go bad. I can't add anything, as Joe summed it up perfectly.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 18th 2010, 10:10 pm

I really hate trucks some days....

Alright, checked the coil. Its building a charge but not discharging it. So... ignition control module seems to be the culprit. I'm going to pull it out and take it to autozone tomorrow to get it tested.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 18th 2010, 11:09 pm

easy enough to replace.. mine went bad on my jimmy and i replaced the coil and that at the same time..
Back to top Go down
$/$-AMX
Valued Member
Valued Member
$/$-AMX

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 18th 2010, 11:14 pm

Sad stupid tune up parts Laughing

Mike
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 9:24 am

Good luck Robert, hopefully you've found the issue.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 10:46 am

Well it seems I'm a day late and a dollar short because that's what I was gonna say was the ICM samething happened to my brothers S15... You gotta love HEI systems huh! lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 7:23 pm

I ended up taking a personal day to try and get this fixed. Got the ICM off, made my way over to Autozone and low and behold, its dead, very dead. But as much as that sucks, at least I know its the problem.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 7:23 pm

Do I need to replace the coil at the same time, or just the ICM?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 7:36 pm

just the icm. i replaced my coil at the same time cause i knew it was due.. 123k and all my electronics wanted to die.. weather they were brand new or not. lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 8:04 pm

Gotcha, thank you everyone for your help.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 8:10 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed!!!
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 8:13 pm

Not yet Fasel, still got to order parts. But thanks for the kind words.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 8:33 pm

Oh haha I thought that's what the personal day was for... Yes order the parts fix it then go back and read my post!! haha
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 9:37 pm

the right order for chevys are.. order impossible to find parts, get them and relize they are the wrong ones, return and wait for new ones, get pissed off cause they have metric and standard bolts and you keep grabbing the wrong wrench.. throw it through the windsheild and then finally get it fixed and running.. then relize you cant drive it around with a busted windsheild so you have to put more money out just to drive the darn thing.. lol..
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 19th 2010, 11:17 pm

^ Amen.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 20th 2010, 12:50 am

Laughing Holy crap Joe, I havent laughed that hard in a while. Thanks!

On another 'funny' note. I decided to try my luck again with the Suburban and tried to start it after reinstalling the old ICM. Turned the Key.... BOOOOM! I guess I didnt get all the ether out..... Huge cloud of smoke out of the air intake, and it blew the PCV valve out of its grommet. pale Anyway, now its just a waiting game for parts.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 20th 2010, 1:40 am

lol.. way to make it go pop.. hopefully you didnt damage any valves or hurt yourself..
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 20th 2010, 9:13 am

Yeah.....hopefully you didn't mess up some valves..
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 20th 2010, 12:18 pm

I think (I hope) its fine. I cranked it over this morning and no weird noises. Parts should be here in a day or two though! cheers
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 23rd 2010, 8:56 pm

****!!!! Mad

Ok, put in the new ICM, charged the battery, and hooked up jumper cables to my 03', turned the key..... and it still cranks, and wants to fire, but still wont start. I checked all the cables, plug wires, etc.. I am getting spark, fuel, and air, but it won't start? Help!
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 23rd 2010, 8:59 pm

Try holding the pedal to the floor. Worth a shot....
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 23rd 2010, 9:03 pm

Oh dont worry, dam near pushed it through the floor! Laughing
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? EmptyJanuary 24th 2010, 1:47 am

did you check each plug for spark or did you just check it at the coil.. like i said before you could have a bad distibutor so by checking each spark plug you will see where its screwing up..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suburban wont start... any ideas?   Suburban wont start... any ideas? Empty

Back to top Go down

Suburban wont start... any ideas?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next