Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Lets talk oil.

Go down 
+7
76silverado
batty1214
79_bronco
zembonez
007jimmy
1993GMCSierra
merlin5577
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

Lets talk oil. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 12:43 am

yea, and it NEVER gets that cold here. 0, maybe.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 2:50 am

Holy Crud Batty, are you a freakin eskimo? Where do get around - 60 F weather?
I had an older friend that swears by 20-50 in everything even though the cap says 5w-30. Finally I explained about newer motor and tighter tolerances so actually need the thinner oil. It would seem to me if you have tight tolerances on a motor, and use heavier oil, it would be possible to increase wear or spread out the tolerances. I do not have a problem using 10W-40 or 20w-50 on my vehicles with over 100,000 miles though. I just figure by then the tolerances have wore themselves opened up a bit and the heavier oil is compensating for the wear. I have 1 truck that has 168,000 miles on the motor and still runs like new, uses no oil between changes. I do run synthetic 10w-40 in it, and even though it works hard when in use, I change the oil once a year. I only put 5000-8000 miles a year on that truck though.
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 9:40 am

some winters, i wish i were an eskimo..... at least i would have the gear for -60...... the little town in northern utah that i live in suffers from inversions...... the clouds disapear at night, and they come back in the morning, locking all the cold in..... its not uncommon to go a month at -40, and never seeing the sun, unless i head for the mountains, and get above the inversion......
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 10:09 am

darn batty that's crazy crap! We have something like that here but it get's clear at night and cloudy during the day but also the great lakes shift with the seasons in the winter the cold water rises from the deep and the warm water sinks so not only is the air we get at night cold but the water from the lakes just keeps a general chill on everything and I live at one of the highest points of a pennisula I have lake michigan to one side and Grand Traverse Bay to the other both within ten miles of my house so I get pounded with wind and lake effect snow but we never reach -60 last year the lowest we got was -30 +/- a few but I know for such the windchill was -40 I'll remember that morning for a long time to come!
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 11:17 am

OK winters are not so bad afterall then We have may have 1-3 days a year where we never see above 32 degrees. I am talking +32 F. As far as the clouds go, if we have clouds its warmer. The cloud cover seems to work as an insualator and holds the heat in. IF there are no clouds, that is when it looks to be so nice outside, the stars and moon can be seen forver, but then you walk outside and its nippy, then you want the clouds back.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 11:21 am

^^ Yeah I agree with ya or on the days when the sun is out and it's blue skies and then you walk outside and you are immedaitly froze yeah it sucks but man it's fun to snowboard and snowmobile on those days!!

However I do believe that we have completely highjacked this thread we should move it... Merlin or joe you guys should take these and put them in a thread called "weather in your area" or something someplace we can talk about the weather and the season in our own regions... Just a suggestion
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 1:21 pm

76silverado wrote:
So, 20W-50 would be a little thick for winter?

Isnt your truck rated for 5W-30? If so, 20W-50 is going to be thinker in all situations.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 3:52 pm

Ahhh not so much, we are talking weather, and its important to the weight of oil. 60 below is cold and good for 5w-30 etc. Not tottally hijacked, just borrowed for a minute.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 3:55 pm

TruckAddict wrote:
Ahhh not so much, we are talking weather, and its important to the weight of oil. 60 below is cold and good for 5w-30 etc. Not tottally hijacked, just borrowed for a minute.

True never really thought about it like that!!
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 4:33 pm

Hey Dawg, Wassup? So you made it to this site too from the other. I did too. I am sure some have figured out who I am by now. I have left a few clues around, and some are just flat out obvious. I recognized a few here already. cheers Now I just hijacked it.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 6:32 pm

TruckAddict wrote:
Hey Dawg, Wassup? So you made it to this site too from the other. I did too. I am sure some have figured out who I am by now. I have left a few clues around, and some are just flat out obvious. I recognized a few here already. cheers Now I just hijacked it.

Tee hee hee you cant hide from me Hotrodpc
Back to top Go down
semocoachworks
Valued Member
Valued Member
semocoachworks

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 9:07 pm

Hello hotrod pc, hows it going???
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 10:46 pm

Ha !!! It new it wasn't hard. If Chevroldslet did not give it away, Box Van did not give it away, TargetMaster did not give it away, yada yada, some would have to a few fries short of a happy meal to NOT figure it out. Doing OK semo. Wish better, but OK for now and could be much worse so all is OK.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 10:51 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
76silverado wrote:

Isnt your truck rated for 5W-30? If so, 20W-50 is going to be thinker in all situations.

Um, IDK? will the thick stuff hurt anything?
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 11:45 pm

76silverado wrote:
merlin5577 wrote:
76silverado wrote:

umm.... fuel mileage, horsepower, umm..... not much else in an older motor with the tolerances that the older motors had..... now if you had one of the new gm/ford/chrysler vehicles calling for 5w20, id only run what they call for.. they have really tight tolerances, allowing them to run lighter weight oil, which gives them better power,and better mileage
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 27th 2009, 11:48 pm

Ok, i was just makin sure it wasn't gonna hurt the rings or anything
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 28th 2009, 12:04 am

No, its not likely to hurt your rings, possibly a little premature bearing wear at start up in cold weather. I'd only use the 20-50 in an older motor that has looser tolerances, AND is a tired motor. Even if its an older motor, 10w-40 should be about wear you want to be.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 28th 2009, 8:42 am

TruckAddict wrote:
Ha !!! It new it wasn't hard. If Chevroldslet did not give it away, Box Van did not give it away, TargetMaster did not give it away, yada yada, some would have to a few fries short of a happy meal to NOT figure it out. Doing OK semo. Wish better, but OK for now and could be much worse so all is OK.

Actually the e-mail address you used when you registered gave it away... Laughing
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 28th 2009, 8:46 am

76silverado wrote:
merlin5577 wrote:
76silverado wrote:

Like truckaddict said, it could cause bearing wear during cold start ups, but if your oil pump is worn out it could also cause it to fail. Just something to be aware of.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 28th 2009, 9:23 am

TruckAddict wrote:

I must not spend enough time over there because it never crossed my mind who you where I need to get out more often!
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 28th 2009, 11:29 am

merlin5577 wrote:
TruckAddict wrote:

Actually the e-mail address you used when you registered gave it away... Laughing

Oh yeah, I guess Mods get to see that stuff.
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptySeptember 28th 2009, 5:38 pm

uhhh yeah well. That's easily changed when using a dynamic router.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptyOctober 25th 2009, 9:10 pm

Nothing but Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in my beast.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptyOctober 25th 2009, 10:29 pm

johnboggs21 wrote:
Nothing but Shell Rotella T 15W-40 in my beast.

How does your truck do in the cold with that oil?
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 10:05 pm

Dont notice any difference from summer really
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk oil.   Lets talk oil. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lets talk oil.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next