Your Truck Source

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Share | 

On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 4th 2009, 10:10 am

79_bronco wrote:
dios mio..

Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 4th 2009, 4:48 pm

I've now completely detailed the interior. I haven't used any stain treatment on the carpet, but it's been vacuumed and so on.

Minty fresh Very Happy

The 8-track is "Best of P-Funk (Parliament Funkadelic) - seemed appropriate Very Happy

The outside may look like a 32 year old car, but the interior is a gem.

There's your interior pics Jared! Razz
Back to top Go down
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 4th 2009, 6:19 pm

wow that thing is mint.. if i where to buy a car that old for the same price around here i would be lucky to get a drivers seat.. least the hard part is done. now all you have to do is paint the outside..
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 4th 2009, 7:18 pm

WOW! Great job William, the car looks great.

================================================
-Robert.
My Fleet;

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 2.0L 6A
2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L 6A
2003 Chevrolet Silverado LS 6.6L 5A
1997 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L 4A

"If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

New Idea
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 4th 2009, 8:18 pm

Thanks guys!

Would a "restoration" thread be out of place here?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 4th 2009, 8:35 pm

Absolutely not. Lets see it!

-Robert.
My Fleet;

New Idea
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 4th 2009, 11:23 pm

i want the outside 2 lol
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 6:10 pm

Just a little update: I tried to get it to start today.

Installed all 8 plugs, primed the carb, pumped it twice, and hit the key. It roared to life.......for about 2 seconds. I think the fan clutch is shot, as the fan just kept spinning, lol.

This went on for a good 5-6 minutes, and it's honestly trying to stay running, but no dice. I don't hear the fuel pump running, so I'm betting thats part of the problem, but don't you think with just priming the carb, it would run for a little bit? (10 seconds or so?)

Eventually, the battery got low enough it wouldn't crank, so it's on charge now.

Any ideas? Luckily, the fuel pump is only $43.00 Very Happy

(btw, the headlight doors are closed now)
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 6:15 pm

Fuel filter is clogged.

-Robert.
My Fleet;

New Idea
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 6:23 pm

timing off?
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 6:30 pm

I hope not. Last vehicle I had a timing issue with caught on fire.

Thanks Joe! Razz

Laughing
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 7:12 pm

Ooh!!! It ran just now.....for like 30 seconds. It sounded like crap, and was barely running, BUT...

The Oil light didn't go off. This might not be good Shocked Shocked

EDIT: Ok, it's started up and ran shitty 5 times. Running from 10-30 seconds. Exhaust smells bad (gas, no doubt) but it just won't stay running. Plus the OP light doesn't go off. Perhaps it needs to run a little bit first?

I'm figuring on having to replace the engine at some point anyway, just...not right now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 8:10 pm

you wont hear the fuel pump cause its a mechanical one on the side of the block.. i would bet its bad fuel or a clogged filter.. dunno what carb is on it so i cant tell you whether its in line or in the carb..
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 8:31 pm

It's a original Motorcraft carb, IIRC, the fuel filter is inline. I'm just worried about that oil light.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 9:08 pm

have you cheked the oil in it.. i wouldnt worry about the oil lite till you acually get it running good.. it could just be a bad sensor or a mouse chewed up the wires.. change the fuel filter and see if that changes anything..
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 9:13 pm

when u prime the carb does gas shoot back out the carb?
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 9:59 pm

Dirty carb? Its been sittin forever, so im not suprised. Put a line on the in side of the fuel pump and run it to a bottle of clean gas, then try to run it. Also replace the fuel filter.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 10:24 pm

Joe, the oil is fine. It's black, but it's full (maybe a little past it) so OP shouldn't be a problem.

Jared Olson for SO IL wrote:
when u prime the carb does gas shoot back out the carb?

Nope. Not from what I've seen. Maybe a little spray now and then, but not really.

76, I'm going to try that first chance I get.

btw, the carb is a Motorcraft 4350, FWIW.

Last edited by 1993GMCSierra on December 8th 2009, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Valued Member
Valued Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 7th 2009, 10:30 pm

it might be timin my bel air was sprayin it back out
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 8th 2009, 3:44 am

007jimmy wrote:
you wont hear the fuel pump cause its a mechanical one on the side of the block.. i would bet its bad fuel or a clogged filter.. dunno what carb is on it so i cant tell you whether its in line or in the carb..

darn.. you beat me to it..

i suggest taking the carb off and cleaning it.. get all the old fuel out of it and spray some carb cleaner in the fuel inlet and venturies (if you know what they are).. when the motor starts, try revving it the slightest bit, just not too high because it's cold.. maybe it's just loading up and needs to be cleared out
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 8th 2009, 10:08 am

I'm going with merlin on this one... A full and complete tune up may be in order new lugs wires cap and rotor if it has them (don't know if it's a magneto or not) and the carb could use a rebuild too I'm guessing since the gas that's in it has more then likely turned to varnish by now you float maybe suck shut you on the right track though with the fuel pump it's definalty fuel related. A timing issue would cause backfiring and a poor choppy idle.

A resto thread would be great I'd love to see the progress! BTW the inside looks great and I agree with joea friend of mine just bought a 90's caddy and it's got no radio the moonroof leaks and the heter doesn't work and it's got some ghetto butt hoop-D rims that look like crap!

I'm also loving the 8 track those things are classic!!
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 8th 2009, 4:52 pm

Would you believe me if I told you...........

Today, at 4:12 PM, the car drove under it's own power. For the first time, since 2001.

The oil light is still on, but the PVC valve, as well as the entire dipstick, are wet so it's got some circulation at least. I'm just wondering what's squealing. I wonder if a pulley or something uses bearings and they are rusted up or something...

She did good. It isn't driveable, IMO, as it'll now start on the second crank almost every time I hit the key now, but it'll only run for about a minute, before it either cuts off, or I have to turn it off, as the pass. side exhaust manifold starts smoking. Want to make sure I don't set it on fire. So, the pump works, the filter isn't clogged (although it's getting replaced) the gas is decent enough to run on, and the timing is at least somewhat on track.

Been a good day Very Happy Cool

btw, heres the noise it's making:

and yes Jared, the lights close Smile

Back to top Go down
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 8th 2009, 5:36 pm

from the sound of it you just need some new belts cause there probley cracking and dryrotted.. what smoke are you talkin about.. what is that black spot where the passenger exhuast would dump out at?
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 8th 2009, 6:23 pm

On the ground? Yeah. Only has a single exhaust.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   December 8th 2009, 7:00 pm

yeah but my question to you is why is it black?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,   

Back to top Go down

On A Cold Rainy Day In Late November,
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next