Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Well Then, The Fun Will Begin

Go down 
+3
merlin5577
007jimmy
76silverado
7 posters
AuthorMessage
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

Well Then, The Fun Will Begin Empty
PostSubject: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 15th 2009, 9:36 pm

Yep, drivin my truck every day and payin the price on gas! But I have one question. How hard is it to swap on a new Q Jet. I've played with 2 barrels and Ford 1 Barrels, but not a huge Q. So any tips on tuning it?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 15th 2009, 10:35 pm

really its just a matter of turning 2 screws but you need a special tool to do it... i beleive its a hex key with a flexible line attached... i would say get an edelbrock 650.. but they are pricey and by the sound of it you already have the qjet...
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 15th 2009, 11:30 pm

Yep, had it for a year now. Brand new too!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 16th 2009, 1:05 am

then what are you waiting for.... trust me the power gains alone will be worth it... your fuel will atomize better witch will blen into the incoming air better and you will see a decent change in fuel eonomy... get a new set of plugs in the truck and you will be able to tune it just by pulling the plugs after 10 miles or so of running it... you will know right away just by throttle responce weather your running lean or rich... but to get it to that perfect mixture you will have to pull each plug after a set amount of miles after you run it for awhile...
Well Then, The Fun Will Begin Reading_spark_plugs
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 16th 2009, 1:47 am

76, there are also companies that will custom tune a carb whichever way you like for your application, might be something to look into.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 16th 2009, 10:16 am

Nah, ill figure it out on my own, since I'm prolly gonna have to tune it for cold weather soon enough.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 16th 2009, 10:23 am

once you tune it for summer it shouldnt be far off from winter... i would rather not freeze my cohoneze off trying to tune a carb in the cold... lol
Back to top Go down
BombDocDiesel
BombDocDiesel

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 17th 2009, 11:39 pm

Stick with the Q. If you are handy and can do the jests, it's the fastest carb for the money by far. We ran them on all of my Grandpa's 383s.
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 9:39 pm

I plan on it since I am pouring all my moneys into my Mustang, which will have a thread soon.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 18th 2009, 9:50 pm

qjets aren't bad carbs at all.. they just get a bad rep from people who have no idea what to do with them
Back to top Go down
zembonez
zembonez

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 20th 2009, 7:53 pm

What kind of mileage are you getting with it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.truckmodcentral.com
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 20th 2009, 7:58 pm

yea good luck with the mileage, those trucks werent built with that in mind. heck, i don think it was even on the list lol
Back to top Go down
76silverado
Valued Member
Valued Member
76silverado

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 20th 2009, 9:52 pm

Well it prolly get 12-14 at best, downhill with the wind at my back!
Back to top Go down
zembonez
zembonez

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin EmptyAugust 20th 2009, 10:28 pm

I get a little over 16 in my 07. I'd bet 14 is all there is to get with a carbed motor truck. I remember a friend with a big block 75 longbed 2WD that got about 8 when new. They weren't known for fuel mileage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.truckmodcentral.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well Then, The Fun Will Begin   Well Then, The Fun Will Begin Empty

Back to top Go down

Well Then, The Fun Will Begin
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Truck Source :: Trucks :: General motors-
Jump to: