Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

71 Lincoln 460 questions

Go down 
+2
007jimmy
ErwinRommel
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 71 Lincoln 460 questions   71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 EmptyOctober 20th 2009, 11:02 pm

Well it depends on how overboard you wanna go with the motor? I'd recommend atleast an rv cam or a little hotter cam be careful though on cam selection... to hot of a cam will require a high stall torque convertor for the trans I'd also recommend a high grade gasket kit... Sealed Power makes great main and cam bearing for a stock or near stock rebuild. Also a high volume oil pump one with good rating... I'd get an edlebrock performer or RPM dual plane intake but read the info on the two intakes to find one that best suites your usage. New valve seals and bearings if needed might just wanna look into a whole new valve train set if it's needed and cost friendly... It takes roughly 120 hp to run the valve train on a motor so if you buy a valve train from a company like lunati you'll gain hp that way. MSD or Accel dist. and coil with atleast 8mm sparkplug wires. Get a set of bosch platinums or autolite platinum plugs... Those E3 diamond fires have a bad rap for detonation. If willing I'd also recommend a good set of headers as they give you power and torque and expell heat from the motor better then manifolds. A decent carb something from edlebrock or even a holley truck avenger would be a good choice. A set of underdrive pulleys will free up some hp. As long as you stock crank and pistons and rods are in good shape you should be fine there. A Big Block lower end should withstand 400+ hp before things begin to come apart... Find out if your heads bolts are stretch bolts and if so buy new ones because you can't reuse stretch bolts I'd also upgrade to a high volume water pump and a 185 degree T stat to keep everything cool. Definalty get a K&N air filter I'm not to up to speed on their oil filters but they use them on Trucks and Extreme 4x4 and whatnot on t.v. so they have to be decent Also maybe look into getting lighter springs for your dist. because that frees up some power. Now is the place that's dunking your block gonna do your cam bearings and freeze plugs? I'd recommend it because a specail tool is required for the bearings. Freeze plugs can be done with a socket and a dead blow but you have to be very careful because one to many hits and your freeze plug will pop down in the block and thats no good!!! Also have them deck your heads and make sure your heads aren't warped they may have warped a couple thousands of an inch when you took them off... It's one in a million that they did but best check to be sure.

But basically just shop around find parts that will best suit you for you application... I did my best on listing parts for a near stock motor however if you plan to build this motor into something beastly then that's a whole different ball game and would require lots of time money and a very very long paragraph on my part!! lol

Hope this info helps you and any questions that may pop up when shopping just post the link here with the questions and me or 007jimmy or merlin or any or the other motorheads here will gladly assist!! Good luck and remember to have fun!!
Back to top Go down
ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel

PostSubject: Re: 71 Lincoln 460 questions   71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 EmptyOctober 22nd 2009, 12:47 am

Found out my heads are cracked. Sleeve in the engine too.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: 71 Lincoln 460 questions   71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 EmptyOctober 22nd 2009, 9:54 am

Wow well new heads are in order then... Now are you gonna have to sleeve your cylinders or are the sleeves already there? So have you thought about what kind of heads your gonna get?
Back to top Go down
ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel

PostSubject: Re: 71 Lincoln 460 questions   71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 EmptyOctober 25th 2009, 11:13 pm

Just one cylinder is sleeved. I'm getting D3VE heads.
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: 71 Lincoln 460 questions   71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 EmptyOctober 26th 2009, 4:05 pm

Great those appear to be a choice... Now being that I'm not a huge ford guy I had to read alittle about them... They ok as though they give a minimal improvement of compression although reading about their open chamber desgn they'll give a better mixture of air to fuel which will offer up some torque. Glad to see things are coming along nicely. Are these heads new from summit or are they used heads? If used before you get to far get them checked!!!
Back to top Go down
ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel

PostSubject: Re: 71 Lincoln 460 questions   71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 EmptyNovember 13th 2009, 11:43 am

probe FPS pistons from Lem Evans but I am now stuck on what else to get. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 71 Lincoln 460 questions   71 Lincoln 460 questions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

71 Lincoln 460 questions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2