Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

The Suburban- Build Thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

The Suburban- Build Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 6th 2011, 9:45 pm

Alright, after looking the suburban over, and driving it for a month or so, I have discovered a few things...... the 143,000 mile old engine, is getting really tired, and needing help. Also, the transmission(4L80E) has been leaking through the rear output shaft, into the transfercase. I'm now wondering, do I order a crate engine, and rebuild trans? Im looking for reliability, and enough power to move the truck with no bigger than 35" tires on it. Any input on these parts would be great. Question
The Dana 60 is found, gotta go get it, and a 14 bolt has been gathered up for it. Im waiting for the metal supply company to get a big enough load to make the 150 mile trip to deliver the steel for my front and rear bumpers, spare tire carrier, roof top basket/tent base. The paint scheme is still trying to be decided. I have installed the CB/weather radio in the center console, where it isn't visible from the outside, and new CD deck in. I'm still debating whether to go with a limited slip or locker in the rear, and a electric or air locker for the front axle. I have the 205 transfercase, and a 203, for a doubler setup, just gotta get the kit to put it together. Pictures will be coming of the buildup as it begins. Any opinions, comments and suggestions will be considered and extremely helpful.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 6th 2011, 10:33 pm

6.2L diesel and a TH400 transmission! Bulletproof!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 6th 2011, 11:34 pm

no crate motor unless your gonna go with a beefed up one. get the block bored .30, throw in some pistons, a good seat of ported heads and intake then call it a day. as for the trans i would get a new one unless you know a guy you trust. alot of tranny guys are sketchy and will only replace whats worn/broken even though you pay for a full rebuild. a stock 4l80e will hold up to about 600hp all day and tow like no other plus take a beating offroad.

i say a posi in the rear and a selectable locker in the front.. 2 wheels in 2wd is better on dry pavement and 3 wheels in 4wd are good in the snow around a turn but youll need 4 if you get stuck in some mud.. lol

as for paint it all depends on what you "want" it for.. camping/wheeler i would go with some kinda camo.. dessert, snow, forest.. just something to match the terrain around you. if its gonna be a daily/wheeler then i would go with a flat solid color or maybe a 2tone with the break on the body line so if you scratch it up it can be easily fixed.
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 6th 2011, 11:54 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
6.2L diesel and a TH400 transmission! Bulletproof!

4bt cummins and a built 47re!!! lots of torque, and be good on fuel, I've heard of a guy putting a 4bt in a hummer H1 with good results
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 12:23 pm

007jimmy wrote:
a stock 4l80e will hold up to about 600hp all day and tow like no other plus take a beating offroad.

I respectfully, yet firmly, disagree. Anything past 400hp on a stone stock 4L80E is on borrowed time. 600hp through a stock one is just ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 1:26 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
007jimmy wrote:
a stock 4l80e will hold up to about 600hp all day and tow like no other plus take a beating offroad.

I respectfully, yet firmly, disagree. Anything past 400hp on a stone stock 4L80E is on borrowed time. 600hp through a stock one is just ridiculous.

You have to remember that hes talking "gasser" hp.... not real power... lol!
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 3:34 pm

lol.. yes "gasser" hp.. they use the same 4l80E in the new supercharged vetts and CTS-V that come 550hp stock.
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 4:43 pm

I've also seen a 4bt in a C5 and it looks right at home in the engine bay, it was in one of the latest versions of DieselPower mag Very Happy

that 4l80e in the vette' has been worked over a lot more than any that you will find in a pickup or burban
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 4:55 pm

4l80E was never put in a Corvette, or any car for that matter. 4L60/4L60E/4L70E & 6L60E & 6L65E are the only automatics used in Corvettes since 1993. The CTC-V comes with a 6L60E & the ZR1 Corvette is only available in a manual transmission. Sorry Joe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_4L80-E_transmission
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 5:04 pm

guess i shouldnt beleive what the guy at the caddy booth said the other day then.. lol. he needs to get his info straight. i was driving the 6 speed cars but i asked him what trans was in the auto and he said the 4l80
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 5:06 pm

Nope, dont believe most car show guys. They really do make it up as they go. For instance, the 4L80E isnt even in production anymore. Laughing
Back to top Go down
batty1214
Valued Member
Valued Member
batty1214

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread EmptyFebruary 7th 2011, 5:52 pm

I have looked into the diesel ideas..... But, the cost of the swap doesn't warrant the 5-7000 miles a year(tops) this thing gets driven. Also, we have been cold enough that a 60/40 blend diesel has no problem gelling up. Not to mention the fact that diesel where I live has gone up to 3.98 a gallon in this last week. I considered the turbo 400 transmission, but I'd be losing a gear. I'm not looking for gob stoping power. I think a 290 hp crate motor should be sufficient for what I'm wanting, and after looking into rebuilding the engine myself, I'm gonna be cheaper to buy a long block from GM performance. The transmission rebuild kit I'm looking at is the Monster in a Box, from monster transmission, and my buddy owns a tranny shop here in town, and will let me do the rebuild at his shop. But, If I could even out the cost to usage, I'd for sure be swapping in a diesel. And it may come later down the road, if I decide I need the grunt of a diesel,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Suburban- Build Thread   The Suburban- Build Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Suburban- Build Thread
Page 1 of 1