Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
In2Trux
In2Trux

Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  Empty
PostSubject: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 21st 2011, 12:53 pm

A friend of mine asked me a question yesterday. Here is a copy and paste of his question.
I'm wondering if it is really necessary to replace the a/c desiccant bag on the air conditioning system of the receiver drier. Well, I would be doing a maintenance on the a/c and one of my friend told me that it is also best to replace the pellets on the desiccant bags. Does anyone have inputs about this?
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 21st 2011, 1:41 pm

a hvac guy might understand that.. i know i dont. i dont know to much about a/c other then how to rip it out.. lol. none of my cars have them because i for one cant stand a/c and 2 cause it a parasitic loose..
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 21st 2011, 2:53 pm

I did some googling research
Here is what I learned. You may not know it, but moisture is your vehicle air conditioner's greatest enemy. When moisture mixes up with your refrigerant, a corrosive acid is created. This corrosive acid can wreak havoc on the different components of your A/C: the compressor, condenser, and evaporator. To prevent this, your A/C accumulator or receiver drier consists of a desiccant whose job is to absorb all the moisture in the system. To ensure efficient moisture absorption, you need a 4-Seasons A/C Desiccant Bag.
Like the brake fluid in you vehicle it absorbs moisture too. Moisture in your brake system is bad and dangerous this is why a brake fluid flush is good every 100,000 km. Same going for your desiccant bag. If your going to the trouble of doing a maintenance on your A/C system? It would be good to include the bag.

Google is never having to say you don't know LOL an old facebook status LOL
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 21st 2011, 3:43 pm

change the bag/drier every time you replace a component. it is just preventative maintenance. some places, when you get a new compressor you HAVE to change the dryer/ dessicant or you dont get your warranty.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 21st 2011, 5:02 pm

where is it at.. inside the canister lookin thing closer to the firewall normally?
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 21st 2011, 11:01 pm

yall talkin bout the orange juice can under the hood?
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 21st 2011, 11:38 pm

007jimmy wrote:
where is it at.. inside the canister lookin thing closer to the firewall normally?

Here.. I hope this help ya.

http://repairpal.com/air-conditioning-accumulator
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 22nd 2011, 3:03 am

accumulator. thats the darn word i couldnt remember. thats been buggin me since i read this thread.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 22nd 2011, 5:00 am

lol.. learn something new everyday.. well technically this is day 2 for most people. not me.. been plowing, shoveling and salting for the past 30 something hours.. lol
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  EmptyJanuary 22nd 2011, 10:30 am

Cool I'm glad this was helpful to you guys. I learned something today too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?    Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Do A/C Desicant canasters ever go bad?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Your Truck Source :: Mechanics Corner :: General Tech-
Jump to: