Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"

Go down 
+2
merlin5577
In2Trux
6 posters
AuthorMessage
In2Trux
In2Trux

The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" Empty
PostSubject: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 9:32 am

Quoted from Jeff Voth of Yahoo Automotive

Those of us who live in a four-season climate are used to the idea of allowing our vehicles to warm up on a cold winter's day. But with the technology in today's automobiles, is this still something we should be doing? The simple answer is no. For the most part, letting your vehicle idle for long periods of time in the cold is not only bad for the environment, but can cause serious damage to your engine and emission system.

In the past, most vehicles employed a carburetor to deliver fuel to the engine. Today, almost all cars, trucks and SUVs on the road use some form of electronic fuel injection. In a cold engine, the computer management system tells the fuel injectors to stay open longer allowing more fuel to flow into the engine in part to keep the engine running cool. Trying to warm up the engine at slightly above idle speed is actually doing the reverse and inviting additional problems.

Cold engines produce a much higher level of unburned hydrocarbons as fuel needs heat to burn efficiently. Even the best catalytic converter is unable to process 100 per cent while running at maximum temperature, so allowing the engine to idle for extended periods of time can start to clog the system.

In addition, spark plugs may also become plugged or dirty due to inefficient fuel burning. Older vehicles required regular maintenance, calling for spark plugs to be changed every 30,000 km. Today, almost all engines employ an electronic ignition system that requires spark plugs to be changed at intervals in the range of 100,000 km. An engine at idle for extensive periods of time could dramatically shorten the life of your plugs, causing you to spend hard-earned money on unnecessary service and maintenance.

A better approach is to start your vehicle and let it run for up to one minute before driving away. This will allow fluids to begin flowing through the engine and then warm up to efficient temperatures under normal driving conditions.

Should the temperature outside dip below freezing, allow a maximum of four to five minutes of idle time before driving away. This should be just enough time to clean off any snow or ice that may have accumulated on the windows. While you may not be warm as toast on the way into work or school, you will benefit by saving money at the pump and garage and by driving a vehicle that runs cleaner and more efficient for many years to come.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 12:52 pm

cheers I've been saying it for years, drive your car gently to warm it up. Its the most efficent way! Thank you Glenn!
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 2:18 pm

I agree,
You should drive your truck like you have a full glass of water standing on the dash. (drive it gently)
I feel that there is a lot of holes in what this Jeff fella from Yahoo has to say.

No matter what you do, there is always going to be wasted fuel in a cold start. Whether it happens in the driveway or while your going down the street in a frosted up truck. I think it would be a lot more vehicle friendly to let your windows clear.
In doing that, this will insure you are now getting good lubricant circulation to begin driving. (still drive it gently) to minimize ware.
Back to top Go down
1993GMCSierra
Hyperactive Member
Hyperactive Member
1993GMCSierra

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyDecember 29th 2010, 3:38 pm

I don't care where you live, whether "cold" is 55, or -55, start the vehicle, and let it sit for 20-30 seconds or so, let the oil re-circulate. Then ease on it. I knew a co-worker who would always rev his engine when cold once it started. That car lasted about 2 years before it died. Threw a rod, IIRC.
Back to top Go down
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyDecember 30th 2010, 2:11 pm

I let my truck idle for a minimum of 10-15 mins before i take off, even after 20 minutes of driving the engine temp never comes up

the reason i let mine warm up for longer is simply that it gets COLD here, I like to allow my trasnmission time to warm up as well

my Cummins would never warm up in -30c temps, ever, it was a cold blooded beast
Back to top Go down
Junior3382
Admin
Admin
Junior3382

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyDecember 30th 2010, 10:49 pm

I am a little partial to the last comment myself, only because in my Jeep, it takes a good 15-20 minutes before my engine temp creeps up, AND/OR, my interior heat begins to work. I let my vehicle "warm" up in the morning mostly because I do not like to be cold.... plus de-frosting the window is easier then scraping...LOL....

But here is another helpful piece of information on this subject...

Toyota motors are the first,and still some of the very few, that employ a reverse flow valve in the oil circulation. When the motor is shut down, this valve closes and prevents oil from settling down the motor, off the heads and into the pan. therefore they never have waht is widely considered a "cold start". No matter if you let them sit for an hour, or a month, before you even turn the key, there is oil on the top end of the motor. Also one of the reasons the older toyotas tend to run for higher mileage then other brands are expected.

Well, i thought it was interesting anyways.....

But bcak to the whole cold day warm up thing.... Though i agree that long term may be more harmful, as an American, I want instant gratification, and until i buy a vehicle that produces heat the second you turn it on.... my vehicles tend to sit for a few minutes and warm up on cold days! LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.mytrucksource.com
Britewhiteram
Valued Member
Valued Member
Britewhiteram

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyJanuary 3rd 2011, 12:56 am

Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" EmptyJanuary 13th 2011, 9:26 pm

Sorry, but if it's below freezing, my truck runs for 15 minutes minimum before I even put it in gear. Like Junior, I am going to be warm on my commute whether my truck lasts 50K miles or 1,000K (that's one million FYI) miles. I will admit, I am a vagina in the cold weather. Plus, I hate scraping my windshield, lol. I've always let my rigs warm up for over a minute.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"   The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?" Empty

Back to top Go down

The debate "Do We Really Need To Warm Up Our New Cars In The Winter?"
Page 1 of 1