Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Custom Center Console Build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

Custom Center Console Build Empty
PostSubject: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build EmptyOctober 5th 2010, 9:44 pm

So as some may not know, the Chevy work truck packages comes with the bare minimum. Crank Windows, Manual locks, no A/C, an AM/FM radio, and that's about it. Lucky for me, I got the ever so small step up from that package and have A/C, tilt wheel, and the rear suicide doors. But, unfortunately, that means a fixed back bench seat with no center console. For me, that is a real downer. Since I've put 30,000 miles on my truck in a year and a half (looked it up last night, lol), the lack of an arm rest would have been horrible. Not to mention all my work documents and papers floating around the cab in an completely unorganized manor! So, After purchasing my truck in April of 2009, I knew that I needed at least THAT creature comfort, so I built a temporary center console out of 5/8's particle board with plans on building a full length center console in the near future.

After drawing lots of different plans, a TON of trial and error, a few failed attempts that turned into 4th of July bonfire wood, and way too many finish nails, I finally took the time to draw some good plans and build it right.

SO, a good year and a half later (I told you, I took the time!), I am finally building this center console. My plan is to make it go from the back of the front seats to the dash. Sounds simple, right? Not really. I also plan on mounting a CB into it, and having plenty of storage space for the bare essentials, such as my super awesomely cool blue zip up binder!

Custom Center Console Build IMG_2772

Now, no project is really a project without some real blood, sweat and tears pored into it. I don't plan on sweating or bleeding on it, but I may just cry about it. So, that only leaves me with labeling it. So, I am dubbing this project:

Custom Center Console Rebuild Ver. 2.1

Of course, what kind of build thread is it if there's no pics? Pffft, A LAME ONE!

So, without further ado, I give you my play by play of what got done yesterday. First, we start with the floor board:

Custom Center Console Build Picture553
Custom Center Console Build Picture555
Custom Center Console Build Picture554

Notice the lack of space that I will be fighting. Next came the my first mistake of this project, lol:

Custom Center Console Build Picture558

The macroness was kinda off on this, but you can still kinda see that it jogs towards the right on the dash side of this piece. Being the dummy that I am, I stupidly traced the floor hump onto this piece. Now, it is going to look a little cleaner then being straight, yes, but it makes it harder to BEND A FLAT PIECE OF MDF! Lots of grinding shall come later.

Next came installing my dash wall:

Custom Center Console Build Picture556
Custom Center Console Build Picture557

Then came the cup holder wall:

Custom Center Console Build Picture559

And then came a problem. I forgot about the ashtray:

Custom Center Console Build Picture560

Since it's a tip out rather than a pull out, it makes my original plan not work. So, I did a little revision to my plans, and then winged it, which brings us to my next mistake:

Custom Center Console Build Picture561
Custom Center Console Build Picture562

I forgot to compensate for half an inch of material on the top. Then, after looking at it, I realized that my next mistake after that was making that middle wall completely straight up and down. So, I regrouped, and really put a little more thought into this. This is where the tears came, and I of course don't have any tissues in my man cave (or rather, my dad's garage, lol), so I just had to nut up and figure this out.

Now, it took me about an hour to do some changes, and because I went ahead and did some of the finishing touches to it, I forgot to take pictures. So, what you will see next is a somewhat complete console:

Custom Center Console Build Picture563

I now have to work on the actual box for the middle of the seats. I already have a small amount done to that:

Custom Center Console Build Picture564
Custom Center Console Build Picture565

I already have some ideas floating around for that one. Anyway, expect updates.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build EmptyOctober 5th 2010, 10:56 pm

Looks real good Jimmeh
Thanks for re-posting it. I promise I won't accidently delete it again Embarassed LOL
It actually looks better then the original thread
Good job man.
So how are ya gonna finish it?
Carpet or Paint
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build EmptyOctober 6th 2010, 12:47 am

I am not going to paint it, but I can't decide if I want to do a cloth or fake leather like what's on my seats. Hell, I even though of a vinyl pattern like the floor of my truck. I know for a fact that I am gonna have somebody else do it for me, though. My first attempt at covering my current console went up in flames. I don't have the patience, lol.

Not sure what I'll get done tomorrow, as I've got some stuff to do, but I'm at least going to try to get the main box finished.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build EmptyOctober 10th 2010, 2:14 pm

Very nicely done Jimmeh. I'm looking forward to the finished product.
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build EmptyNovember 7th 2010, 2:19 pm

Well, it's been a while now. I figured I'd go ahead and let you all know that it's "finished." I still need to attach the two together and cover them with some sort of fabric, and find a suitable sub to install into the main box, but it's at least built (other than the attachment of the two pieces). Here is a few pictures of the completed center console piece. I'll get better ones after it stops raining and I got a little more time, but I knew I had to bring this thread back from the dark at least while I remembered, lol.

Here is the main box. The front portion nearest the cup holders is dished down two inches for putting a few odds and ends there, and the inside of the box will have the sub under another floor that will have all my other stuff (cd case, papers, etc.).
Custom Center Console Build Picture572

Here is something I decided to add to it that I didn't have on my old one: a "latch". My old one's lid liked to bounce around on bumpy roads, and it got pretty annoying, so I stole these out of an old cabinet in my garage that is falling apart anyway.
Custom Center Console Build Picture573

And last but not least, my hinge set up. I would have rather mounted it on the inside, but I couldn't figure out how without the lid being pushed up closer to the dash, and I wanted it all pretty flush, so I will just cover it somehow. Oh, and my mag light mount that was a last minute touch, lol.
Custom Center Console Build Picture574

Once it quits raining, I'll for sure finish it up. I would do it inside the garage, but this is taking up all the extra space I've got:
Custom Center Console Build Picture221

Just needs a torque converter, and it'll be as good as new. It's got 33 super swampers, a 3 inch body lift, and a locker in the rear. Only 60K miles. Not bad for a 93, lol.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build EmptyNovember 7th 2010, 4:03 pm

Nice job! Cant wait to see it all buttoned up.

The Jeep a new arrival to your fleet?
Back to top Go down
Jimmeh
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jimmeh

PostSubject: Re: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build EmptyNovember 7th 2010, 4:34 pm

Sorta. It was my cousins, and he needed some work on his car, and since I had a job at the time and he didn't, I offered to pay for it if he paid me back or helped me on a side job I had at the time. Well, a couple of months later, I finished the side job on my own, and he didn't pay me back, so I went to his house with a trailer and told him I'll be taking one of many rigs he owns. I took the Jeep, and then he gave me a B2, and I called it even. The Jeep had a bad transmission and the engine needed a lot of work, but now it just needs a torque converter.

The Jeep is my dads now, because I've already got a toy and he's a better mechanic than I am. We've both put a ton of sweat blood and tears into it, lol. I think he's gonna sell it though and buy a boat. I am keeping the B2 though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Custom Center Console Build   Custom Center Console Build Empty

Back to top Go down

Custom Center Console Build
Page 1 of 1