Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Oh the joy of owning a diesel...

Go down 
+6
79_bronco
doc_auto
Jared Olson for SO IL
johnboggs21
007jimmy
merlin5577
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

Oh the joy of owning a diesel... Empty
PostSubject: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 7:22 pm

So, time to change the oil in my Silverado, no big deal right? Thats what I thought... Since i've moved to a new town, I decided to check out the new auto parts store. Napa. Head over to pick up oil and filters (might as well get both trucks done at once...) Filters? Check. Napa Gold (Wix) to the rescue. Oil.... no. No check. Only one oil type in the ENTIRE store rated for diesels and its not synthetic... Ok, on to store two. Pep Boys. Well, I already have the filters, just need oil.... um... hmm.... Now we have two types of oil rated for diesel engines, one synthetic, one none. Ok, Rotella T Synthetic is a good oil, I'll buy that. No, no I won't. They only have 2 gallons in the entire store. I need 4 gallons. Ok, nevermind, on to store three. AutoZone. Hey, we have a winner, 4 Gallons of Rotella T Synthetic. Seems my luck is turning...

NOPE. I was wrong. Wifey gets called into work, so no working on the Suburban today. Alright, onto the Silverado, jack up the truck, put a jack stand under it, get my catch can, etc... Pull the drain plug.... wham! Huge gust of wind. Oil is everywhere! WTF. Thankfully, I had put down a large square of card board to lay on (much better than black top) so most of it got absorbed by that. Nothing is easy anymore. I hope this isnt what I have to look forward to tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 8:07 pm

lmao.. oh the joy of having a lift.. i never looked forward to them days.. now all i got to do is drive her on and put the drain tank underneath..
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 8:29 pm

you need a tractor supply lol. Im sure chris is gonna have a field day with this lol.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 8:34 pm

Not a bad idea John, going to have to check into that.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 8:35 pm

I usually get a 5 gallon bucket of Rotella T 15 40 there. I think the bucket is cheaper than buying it a quart at a time. They got it at wally world too.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 8:38 pm

johnboggs21 wrote:
I usually get a 5 gallon bucket of Rotella T 15 40 there. I think the bucket is cheaper than buying it a quart at a time. They got it at wally world too.

Yeah, they had those there, but the 15W-40 isnt synthetic. Need to find a more diesel friendly store or start ordering it off the internet again.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 8:39 pm

johnboggs21 wrote:
you need a tractor supply lol. Im sure chris is gonna have a field day with this lol.

Just checked their website, the closest one is 2 hours away...
Back to top Go down
Jared Olson for SO IL
Valued Member
Valued Member
Jared Olson for SO IL

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 16th 2010, 10:10 pm

or jus drive a somethin wit an old 350 that burns oil so u dont have to change it lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 1:24 pm

Jared Olson for SO IL wrote:
or jus drive a somethin wit an old 350 that burns oil so u dont have to change it lol

I've done this before as well. I had a 91' Seville that leaked and burned 3 quarts of oil a month so I just kept adding oil and once every 6 months changed the filter. Went 40K miles like that and had no problems.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 1:28 pm

Well at least today will be less messy, Wifey again got called into work, guess the Suburban will have to wait until next Sunday.
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 4:21 pm

you get a lunch break at work? find a corner of the parkin lot and do it there.. lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 6:40 pm

007jimmy wrote:
you get a lunch break at work? find a corner of the parkin lot and do it there.. lol

My boss would kill me. Laughing

Well, the oil change saga isnt over yet. Exclamation Wifey came home early so I decided to go ahead and get it done today. I was wrong. Got the truck jacked up and ready to go, took the old oil filter off, grab the new one and low and behold, it was the wrong dang filter. Evil or Very Mad So after another trip to Napa to exhange filters, I am happy to report, 2 oil changes took me approximately 24 hours to complete. Shocked
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 8:13 pm

whoo! sounds like your havin a day like me. some BS allways happens haha. good choice goin with wix BTW.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 8:56 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
007jimmy wrote:

My boss would kill me. Laughing

Well, the oil change saga isnt over yet. Exclamation Wifey came home early so I decided to go ahead and get it done today. I was wrong. Got the truck jacked up and ready to go, took the old oil filter off, grab the new one and low and behold, it was the wrong dang filter. Evil or Very Mad So after another trip to Napa to exhange filters, I am happy to report, 2 oil changes took me approximately 24 hours to complete. Shocked

I still dont see the need to jack a truck up to change the oil lol.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 9:10 pm

his burban isn't nearly as high as your truck, that's why
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 9:33 pm

good excuse to put a lift on it lol
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 9:41 pm

yeah we arent twigs eather.. i am 260 pounds and if i remember correctly robert has a few pounds on me.. i had trouble getting all the way under my 92 with the smaller tires on it.. now that it has the 31s its a little easier.. i put a system in the saturn yesterday and i could hardly get my arm under the car... lol.. no tuckin the power wire under the carpet on that car.. its got a nice plastic pan under the whole car that i tucked the wire in..
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 10:03 pm

No jacking up my truck for me either!! LOL I was able to sit almost up right under my truck and was able to change the oil pan without lossen the mounts and lifting the motor!! I love my lift kit!!!!
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 10:07 pm

FaselZ71 wrote:
No jacking up my truck for me either!! LOL I was able to sit almost up right under my truck and was able to change the oil pan without lossen the mounts and lifting the motor!! I love my lift kit!!!!

gotta love lifted trucks lol
Back to top Go down
FaselZ71
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
FaselZ71

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 10:36 pm

Amen brotha!!!

P.S. I'm fudging wasted!!!
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 17th 2010, 11:56 pm

007jimmy wrote:
yeah we arent twigs eather.. i am 260 pounds and if i remember correctly robert has a few pounds on me.. i had trouble getting all the way under my 92 with the smaller tires on it.. now that it has the 31s its a little easier.. i put a system in the saturn yesterday and i could hardly get my arm under the car... lol.. no tuckin the power wire under the carpet on that car.. its got a nice plastic pan under the whole car that i tucked the wire in..

Amen to that. I'm pounding the pavement at 6'2" and just under 3 bills. I can get under the Silverado to do an oil change, but have almost zero room to move around. Much prefer to jack the front end up. The Suburban? Forget it! With the lower valence and the running boards that are on it, no way! I have to jack that truck up.

Oh the joy of owning a diesel... Suburb13
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 18th 2010, 12:47 am

lol i'm starting to feel small hahahahah
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 18th 2010, 1:30 am

I guess having long arms and the right tools helps too, but if I have to jack something up to change the oil, then the engineers who placed the filter in the wrong place can kiss my ***.
I am 6'2 / 260lb and I didn't jack up my Corolla to change the oil and filter. Of course I didn't get under the car either. Did 2003 Ford Ranger at work wo jacking it up too, but had to get the filter from the top. I just have a long reach. Glad to find out its a benefit. I hate getting under jacked up vehilces, and to drag out a jack and jack stands, I could have had the oil changed already. If it takes me longer 10 minutes to change oil and filter, I am getting rid of that vehicle.
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 18th 2010, 2:44 am

haha i am 6'1" and 145 pounds i can squeezed into/under anything. 10 minutes? the only time i do that is when i worked at a stealership. otherwise if its mine i'll BS and drink a few beers or somethin while im at it. haha go back inside n play videogames till i remember it's drainin. haha

EDIT

whooop fer alcohol!
Back to top Go down
TruckAddict
Valued Member
Valued Member
TruckAddict

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... EmptyMay 18th 2010, 3:00 am

Yep 10 minutes. That does not count cleaning up the mess of course which is usually minimal, but I pour the used oil in a 5 gallon bucket, and picky about my oil pan being clean when I am done with it. I always change oil when the vehicle is hot. Oil flows faster, and you are likley to have any gunk melted down and come out with the old oil. Have the tools and new oil filter there with you, hate getting up and down more than once unless a female is involved, pull the drain plug, while its draining, pull and reinstall new filter. Chill for a couple minutes and watch it finish draining, install the plug, up and fill with new oil. Done !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oh the joy of owning a diesel...   Oh the joy of owning a diesel... Empty

Back to top Go down

Oh the joy of owning a diesel...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next