Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

ABS light..

Go down 
+4
007jimmy
79_bronco
merlin5577
bigcountry78
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 19th 2010, 9:22 pm

happened last week on my 06, light flickered at first, then came on. i was on my way to work this mornin and my headlights started to flicker, then the blasted light came on again. as i was leavin work, i stopped at a stoplight and got a vibration in the pedal, kida like the ABS was ativating. but it wasnt, or at least it shouldnt have been. checked fluid and pads when i got home, and everything looks good. im goin to advance tomorrow to see what codes come up, but does anybody have any ideas?
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 19th 2010, 9:56 pm

Welcome to the world of the failing wheel speed sensor. My 03' did the exact same thing. Seems to be a common thing on the GMT-800 trucks.
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 19th 2010, 10:36 pm

my sonoma does the same thing from time to time.. GM's suck for electrical issues
Back to top Go down
007jimmy
007jimmy

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 20th 2010, 9:59 am

the abs light in the 92 fullsize is still lite.. it has been on since the day i got it. brakes work fine and so does the abs.. i was told its probley something to do witht the cluster itslf so i am just waitig for the bulb to blow. lol
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 20th 2010, 3:05 pm

just put some black tape over the light and all will be well again lmao
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 8:27 am

johnboggs21 wrote:
just put some black tape over the light and all will be well again lmao

Ahh Perfect, LOL Try using The economical Volvo repair technique LOL Black tape over the check engine light. but in this case, over the ABS Brake light. LOL
It's too bad the the codes don't tell you which wheel it is that has the bad sending unit
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 11:18 am

no, it's a ford trick for the rear antilock light.. they NEVER work, so you just cover the light up.. good as new lol
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 12:33 pm

bigcountry78, if you jack up the front of the truck, and shake the wheels up and down, like you where checking ball joints, I bet you will find one of the wheels will wiggle just a little bit. If so, the bearing is bad, and thats what is causing the ABS light. If not, its the sensor. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 4:48 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
bigcountry78, if you jack up the front of the truck, and shake the wheels up and down, like you where checking ball joints, I bet you will find one of the wheels will wiggle just a little bit. If so, the bearing is bad, and thats what is causing the ABS light. If not, its the sensor. Good luck.

That's interesting.. I didn't know that. I'd be interested in hearing what you find Bigcountry78. Let us know.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 5:35 pm

In2Trux wrote:
merlin5577 wrote:

That's interesting.. I didn't know that. I'd be interested in hearing what you find Bigcountry78. Let us know.

Laughing I had to learn it the hard way...
Back to top Go down
bigz
bigz

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 6:08 pm

merlin5577 wrote:

this happened on my 05 z71 i kept getting the abs light ans my pedal done the same thing... changed the hub assembly and it was all good
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 7:39 pm

In2Trux wrote:
merlin5577 wrote:

the reason it does this is because the hub(when the bearings are bad) is not lined up correctly with the ABS sensor and the sensor sends a false signal
Back to top Go down
doc_auto
Overactive Member
Overactive Member
doc_auto

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 7:49 pm

yup my dads truck was so bad(ya'll saw the pics) it was makin the abs go off. not just a light. cept unlike a ball joint check, wiggle it all ways, up, down, sideways, diagonal.
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 8:56 pm

ok, advance cant read the brake light. great. the tires have an extremely minimal amount of play, maybe an 8th of an inch, equal on both driver and passenger sides. the passenger side is factory bearing, driver side was replaced at dealership approx 25k ago, factory bearing failed. this also seems to be affecting my cruise, as it just randomly kicks off, as if i tapped the brakes. i originally thought a caliper might be tryin to lock up, but after driving to work (50 miles) both front rims were cool to the touch. this truck has discs in front and drums in back, btw. i did find that the clip that keeps the wire from flapping around had fallen off, so i put it back in place and il see if that helps tomorrow. all of the stated problems seem to happen when i hit a small bump or uneven spot in the road, except for the cruise. that can heppen at any time, and may happen repeatedly. i turned it on 5-6 times this mornin and it never stayed on mre than 10 seconds. ill give another update tomorrow, thanks for the sugestions. lemme kno if yall think of anything else. i aint givin up! lol dash lights bug the piss outta me
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 9:00 pm

merlin5577 wrote:
Welcome to the world of the failing wheel speed sensor. My 03' did the exact same thing. Seems to be a common thing on the GMT-800 trucks.

i had wondered about that, where is it located? and how much do they run?
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 9:07 pm

oh yea, one more thing, this mornin at around 1 AM i was pullin our 18ft pontoon thru town, and ended up dozin off, and wakin up in time to see the curb thing that your supposed to go around. naturaly i stabbed the brakes and the tires locked up, i heard them squallin. i ended up sailin over the curb anyway. but if the ABS was workin, the tires shouldnt have locked up, correct? that is the point of the system isnt it, or am i missin somethin? thanks again
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 9:23 pm

1 of your sensors either isn't registering because of bad bearings or 1 of them is just bad
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 9:34 pm

so it all goes back to that stupid light? what kind of shop would be able to read the code?
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 9:47 pm

i'm sure the dealership can do it with no problem.. i just wouldn't pay them to fix it lol
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 9:51 pm

haha nah i can fix it way cheaper, only problem is they wanna make an appointment and charge 75 bucks just to hook it up and tell me the problem. thats how it is here anyway
Back to top Go down
79_bronco
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 21st 2010, 10:45 pm

it's the same at most dealerships.. when i worked at a ford dealership it was just the same or worse.. if you have a diesel with a check engine light on, they will charge 150 just to hook it up
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 22nd 2010, 12:14 pm

bigcountry78 wrote:
ok, advance cant read the brake light. great. the tires have an extremely minimal amount of play, maybe an 8th of an inch, equal on both driver and passenger sides. the passenger side is factory bearing, driver side was replaced at dealership approx 25k ago, factory bearing failed. this also seems to be affecting my cruise, as it just randomly kicks off, as if i tapped the brakes. i originally thought a caliper might be tryin to lock up, but after driving to work (50 miles) both front rims were cool to the touch. this truck has discs in front and drums in back, btw. i did find that the clip that keeps the wire from flapping around had fallen off, so i put it back in place and il see if that helps tomorrow. all of the stated problems seem to happen when i hit a small bump or uneven spot in the road, except for the cruise. that can heppen at any time, and may happen repeatedly. i turned it on 5-6 times this mornin and it never stayed on mre than 10 seconds. ill give another update tomorrow, thanks for the sugestions. lemme kno if yall think of anything else. i aint givin up! lol dash lights bug the piss outta me

Any amount of play is bad, and if you've already replaced one, i'm guessing the other is bad. They usually go in pairs.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 22nd 2010, 12:14 pm

bigcountry78 wrote:
merlin5577 wrote:

i had wondered about that, where is it located? and how much do they run?

Its screwed directly into the top of the hub.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 22nd 2010, 12:15 pm

bigcountry78 wrote:
so it all goes back to that stupid light? what kind of shop would be able to read the code?

Autozone should be able to read it. They where for me.
Back to top Go down
bigcountry78
Valued Member
Valued Member
bigcountry78

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. EmptyApril 25th 2010, 10:28 pm

well, i wiggled both abs lines thursday afternoon to see if anything was loose, and ive been light free ever since. i gues it was a computer glitch? kinda puzzled, but im glad it went off
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABS light.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS light..   ABS light.. Empty

Back to top Go down

ABS light..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next