Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Your Truck Source
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Truck Source

RULES  HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Have you told all your friends about the excitement here at MyTruckSource.com?
Have a new ride you want to show off? Or you want to see our other members rides? Check out our PRIDE & JOY Forum!

Gonna tackle a new project

Go down 
+5
merlin5577
79_bronco
In2Trux
doc_auto
johnboggs21
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 10th 2010, 8:57 pm

no glow plugs, so thats not the issue. Im leaning towards some crap in the fuel line. Water in fuel is a definite possibility.
Back to top Go down
In2Trux
In2Trux

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 10th 2010, 9:02 pm

Def sounds like fuel. Prime the system. make sure it's got fresh fuel in the hole system. It sounds like it want to go from what you said
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 10th 2010, 9:05 pm

problem is, I cant see any way of priming it except for cranking the dog piss out of it, which I hate to do. I would crack the injector lines to the injectors to bleed the air, but the injectors are under the valve covers......

I did check the FSS and it does have power with the key on, so thats not the issue.
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 11th 2010, 7:13 pm

Sounds like your lift pump is dead.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 11th 2010, 9:24 pm

thats what I was thinking, but I cant see why it would work when we parked it and now it dont......Im pretty sure it has a mechanical pump...
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 12th 2010, 2:36 pm

If they sit for a while the seals can crack/go bad and leak.

Try this;

Find the pickup tube inside the fuel tank and put it in a coffee can filled with diesel. Prime the fuel filter(s) and have someone crank over the engine and try to start it. If the pump is dead/dying, you will have little to no suction at the pickup tube.
Back to top Go down
johnboggs21
Almost Addicted Member
Almost Addicted Member
johnboggs21

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 12th 2010, 5:37 pm

alrite Ill give that try next time. Could I put an electrical pump on it temporarily? I wonder if its the same as my IDI and has a diaphragm that could rupture and pump the crankcase full of fuel......
Back to top Go down
merlin5577
Admin
Admin
merlin5577

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 EmptySeptember 12th 2010, 9:26 pm

You can use any pump that will supply the IP with the required fuel pressure (whatever that is). I dont know if its a diaphram pump or not, but if it is, you are most likely correct.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gonna tackle a new project   Gonna tackle a new project - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gonna tackle a new project
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2